Reload this Page >

Old Timers: "Adopt a Newbie"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2014, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HPN-HRL
Newbies: If you are looking for an Old Timer to help you plan a trip, you are in the wrong thread. The Old Timers that have volunteered below are willing to help newbies interested in learning about our hobby. They are not your travel agents. If you want an experienced member to help you learn the ropes of travel hacking, you'll have to ask one of them to take you on. Look through the list of old timer volunteers, study their past posts and information under their FT handle in those posts and send them a Private Message. They are not going to be contacting you to start the relationship. The first step is up to you.

Old Timers Volunteers

LondonElite
dhammer53
goalie
3Cforme
ingy (I have two already to help Grab somebody else til we get this started
ExpatSomchai (UK for newbies)
rwoman (DL, AA, USA, UK)
PatMike
tc fly girl
MikeFly
MommyPoints
HPN-HRL (WN, BA for North Americans)

Old timers when you have enough enthusiastic newbies working with you, drop me (ingy) PM and we'll remove your name.
Print Wikipost

Old Timers: "Adopt a Newbie"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2014, 6:33 pm

what defines an old timer
been lurking for 2 years but active for a year....would not mind helping out but unsure if I qualify
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Alaska Air
This is an awesome initiative, way to go
Old Jun 2, 2014, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by jdflyer2
If there are any old timers out there who have managed to make this work with a family, I'd be interested in learning from them.
Check out Mommypoints. http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com/....4zivcE1y.dpbs

Several years ago, I signed up for multiple AA cards. I was a United flyer, but knew nothing about the Advantage program. I was booking a honeymoon trip for my son and daughter-in-law, and didn't have a clue about AA. I needed a quick fix, but after reading countless threads for hours and hours over multiple days , I finally sent a message (known as a PM) to the Moderator on that forum. He was able to point me in the right direction to the info I needed. ^ Sometimes you can do a search, but if you leave out a particular word...

It helps to start making friends on Flyertalk. Go read the Community forum. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/
It where people post local drink and dinner meetups. After 14 years, I've made lots of friends. Some of them I now count as dear friends. Don't be afraid to ask your friends questions. A throwaway statement can be your Oh My moment.

dhammer53
Old Jun 2, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I would be happy to help out. Count me in.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Give and Take: That's how FT thrives...

Originally Posted by IMH
I don't think that "reluctant to help" is a fair description of most people here. ...

Why should someone who has a (sensible) question reduce the number of potential replies to one by directing it at a 'mentor' instead of the relevant forum?
Originally Posted by BearX220
Very well said indeed! <snip>

So I would prefer to keep trying to answer the questions I'm qualified to address in open fora...
+2

I don't fly much but I do occasionally get PMs from fellow FTers to ask questions w/r/t the destination forum that I frequent. I don't mind answering them but also make a point redirecting them to relevant existing threads when possible, so more FTers can chime in and/or benefit from further exchange.

FT is great in ways similar to an "open" university where every bit of info is equally accessible for every FTer. For those who are determined and properly invest time & energy, FT can be a wonderful self-educated resource. OTOH, just like every university, there are straight A students while some struggle. Everyone can be a teacher and student though. There's nothing wrong to ask questions that you don't have answers to. (Sometimes even a simple question can open up an amazing discussion, such as this one .) In every post, another possible teacher is born. Some "teachers" will give you straightforward answers, while some point out to you another path of self-guided learning. Just keep in mind, the better thought-out the questions are, the more informative replies you receive.

For those who are not comfortable "interacting" on such an out open online bulletinboard, you may consider to get your feet wet by attending a local gathering, aka FlyerTalk DOs. You'll find those events in our CommunityBuzz Forum and in this compiled list of DOs.

Everyone has his own learning style. Just like every university, no matter how good the teachers or mentors are, students still have to put effort into studying themselves before any knowledge becomes their own. I can't tell you how much I've learned from fellow FTers just by reading FT over the years. Via give-and-take, I sincerely hope every newbie, time-clock or post count-wise, will get the best out of FT enrichment and grow together with FT community in an open manner.

Last edited by lin821; Jun 3, 2014 at 3:07 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Qantas / Concorde Trips

I've learned a lot from FT over the years and have gotten to take advantage of deals like the one mentioned in the title of my post (one of my favorite deals of all time). I'm willing to help based on the criteria outlined in the OP.

I'm based near Chicago, do mostly international travel heavy on OW, *Wood and mostly never sitting in coach. If I can help PM me.

My hope is that this could actually be a two way street. I know I'm not too old to learn a trick or two!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze
Awesome Idea, definitely interested and already requested mentorship via PM.

Thanks to all the experts for taking out the time!

Best,

nmnm224
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:39 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eccokahlo
So this means you are taking mentees?
No. But I remain happy to answer questions when I can, or point people towards answers that others have given.

I would be of very limited use to a mentoree. There are far more questions that I can't answer than questions to which I have the best answer. That applies to pretty much everyone, of course So: ask everyone and let the answers you get be shared by everyone.

Originally Posted by eccokahlo
Us Texans gotta stick together.
I think you must have mistaken me for someone else.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 8:55 am
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Yup happy to help, and doing this with a family is totally possible - even with school schedules. I don't know if my family has left me with enough time to feel confident be a good official "mentor" here, but always happy to answer questions and love the idea of those newer to the hobby developing relationships and a deeper understanding/appreciation for what this hobby can do!
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
I guess that it's mostly newbies posting here asking for help?

I am also a newbie. I consider myself reasonably intelligent and money savvy however a quick read on these forum would indicate otherwise!! Okay, so I don't fly that often but when I do it's nearly always in a premium cabin (paid for) and I try to stay in luxury hotels, e.g Peninsula in Bangkok. Looking back over my travel profile over the last 10 years I must have missed out on so much. Ah well, such is life.

Anyway, I am waffling. I am now looking to change my ways! So if anyone would like to take me under their wing then that would be fab, before today I didn't even know that the phrase Manufactured Spending existed and I still have no idea what Vanilla means, in the context of this forum!

ETA, I am in the UK and my nearest airports are Birmingham or Manchester

Last edited by SaraJH; Jun 3, 2014 at 3:58 pm Reason: Location added
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, IHG Plat Elite, Hyatt Gold, Marriott GE, Hertz 5*, National Exec
It's a nice concept, but until there's some 'list' of things FFers should be doing, it's kind of hard to ask questions, don't you think?

"Luke, I will mentor you and teach you the ways."
"But what are the ways?"
"Umm....you MUST ask a specific question....and use acronyms or I will get very angry."

Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:26 pm
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by fastfxr
It's a nice concept, but until there's some 'list' of things FFers should be doing, it's kind of hard to ask questions, don't you think?

"Luke, I will mentor you and teach you the ways."
"But what are the ways?"
"Umm....you MUST ask a specific question....and use acronyms or I will get very angry."

You mean like "Don't Call the Airline" or "Hang up and Call Again"
and maybe "Don't be confrontational with Walmart or CVS Employees"

I'm hoping our experienced members are passing those messages along.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 11:55 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I do not want my name on the wiki.

Newbs can email or PM me.

Been helping people for years WITHOUT selling them any credit cards along the way.

KKR is coming
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Rewritten in post 63, if I remember correctly.

Last edited by jan_believes; Jun 4, 2014 at 8:42 pm
Old Jun 4, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by SaraJH
I guess that it's mostly newbies posting here asking for help?

I am also a newbie. I consider myself reasonably intelligent and money savvy however a quick read on these forum would indicate otherwise!! Okay, so I don't fly that often but when I do it's nearly always in a premium cabin (paid for) and I try to stay in luxury hotels, e.g Peninsula in Bangkok. Looking back over my travel profile over the last 10 years I must have missed out on so much. Ah well, such is life.

Anyway, I am waffling. I am now looking to change my ways! So if anyone would like to take me under their wing then that would be fab, before today I didn't even know that the phrase Manufactured Spending existed and I still have no idea what Vanilla means, in the context of this forum!

ETA, I am in the UK and my nearest airports are Birmingham or Manchester
Sara, welcome to FT! I love seeing "programme" spelled with an "e"!

Anyway, as you have confessed you haven't been signed up for those programs, please do so!

Here's hoping you find a terrific mentor. Cheers! ^

Last edited by jan_believes; Jun 4, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.