Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel reward recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Hotel reward recommendations

I know there's plenty of reviews out there, and I've read most of them...but would like some more personal advice.

I probably spend about 80-100 nights/yr at hotels. 75% in major US cities, 25% major international cities. Company picks up the cost of the hotel, but is fairly prescriptive about which hotels I can use in each city.

Usually there's a hilton, marriott or spg available...but not consistently enough to get more than 40-60 nights at any one of them (probably 40 for spg, 60 for hilton/marriott).

I don't redeem my points very frequently (vacations are typically spent away from civilization), but good to know that I could stay somewhere nice for free when needed. I would like getting a free breakfast (as long as it has eggs & bacon) & would take advantage of lounge happy hour if available.

Let me know if you'd like any other info before weighing in...thanks in advance!
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: none
First, make sure you join up with every program you are likely to use.

Second, your profile means you probably will earn enough in any of the programs to cover your personal stays in each one. You don't have to stick to just one, unless you are a point hoarder or trying to accumulate an amount for some special award.

It's your call as to how many points you want to keep keep. Some people like to burn them as they earn them, keeping a fairly low balance. Others strive to hold the most points they can.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by turkvu
I know there's plenty of reviews out there, and I've read most of them...but would like some more personal advice.

I probably spend about 80-100 nights/yr at hotels. 75% in major US cities, 25% major international cities. Company picks up the cost of the hotel, but is fairly prescriptive about which hotels I can use in each city.

Usually there's a hilton, marriott or spg available...but not consistently enough to get more than 40-60 nights at any one of them (probably 40 for spg, 60 for hilton/marriott).

I don't redeem my points very frequently (vacations are typically spent away from civilization), but good to know that I could stay somewhere nice for free when needed. I would like getting a free breakfast (as long as it has eggs & bacon) & would take advantage of lounge happy hour if available.

Let me know if you'd like any other info before weighing in...thanks in advance!
You won't receive a unanimous recommendation (as you already know).
My vote is for Hilton Honors (HHonors). With the amount of stays you predict, you can make Diamond easily; this guarantees Executive Lounge access (if property has one). EL gives you food/drink daily; quality varies. I know you didn't mention it, but as a secondary program, you may want to consider Hyatt. Apply for their co-branded Visa card and you may be able to achieve free Executive Lounge level with them too (after meeting reduced number of nights required thanks to having their Visa card).

Most programs have points or points + cash options available for redemption. I find that between Hilton and Hyatt, your world-wide property location coverage is pretty solid.

Good luck. ^

Last edited by fozziedoggie; Jun 1, 2014 at 10:46 am
Old Jun 1, 2014, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
I know you didn't mention it, but as a secondary program, you may want to consider Hyatt.
Hyatt is nice, but has a pretty limited footprint. If they're not on the OP's employer's approved list, it makes Hyatt even less attractive.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Yah, seen a lot of good reviews of Hyatt's program, unfortunately they don't show up very often as an available option.
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you based in the US? If so, consider getting Hilton HHonors Gold through a credit card (Amex HH Surpass for $75/year or Citi HH Reserve for $95/year). While HH Diamond is a bit better than HH Gold, you should think about whether it's better enough (basically that lounge happy hour sometimes) to be worth many dozens of extra nights that you have to achieve, vs just doing however many stays at HHonors properties you want and not worrying about the count.

Getting HH Gold through a credit card would free you up to put most of your nights toward SPG and/or Marriott.

Next question: Can you "hotel hop" easily (change hotels every night)? If not, the Marriott's your program (for earning stays via paid stays), because it has no "stays" option. SPG can give you Platinum (the only level which you breakfast there) for 25 one-night stays, but if your stays are multi-night, then you need 50 nights for Platinum status. Marriott needs 50 nights for Gold status (which gives you breakfast), but the credit card gives you 15 of night-stay-equivalents each year, so that would lower Marriott Gold to only needing 35 nights.

(So credit cards can totally get you status that gives you breakfast at Hilton HHonors, and get you about 1/3 of the way there for Marriott Rewards. But the SPG card only gives 2 stays or 5 nights, so it doesn't help that much.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.