Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

I'm a NEWB help a brother out

Old May 30, 14, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Hey guys! Been lurking for a while, trying to figure out how to do it like the pros and attain what most of us want- very affordable flights and access to places we otherwise wouldn't be able to go. I know this is a lame question, but I need to ask, does anyone have a link that would point me in the right direction? I am looking to take full advantage of travel hacking but I don't know how to.

Bit about me:

-I live in Seattle

-I want to travel to Europe or Asia

-I just signed up for: Barclaycard Arrival Plus, it has a new member's bonus and waives the first year fee.

-I don't know much about what I am doing and would love some help.

-Thanks for reading
Old May 30, 14, 3:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk

If I was just starting out I would read this ebook:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Lazy-Trave.../dp/B008EFG9MQ

it goes over the basics, once you have a basic grasp then FT is a wonderful resource for new information and how to get in on the latest deal,

many here will refer you to manufacturing spending as a way to boost your miles, please be warned that many parts of flyertalk are very friendly this section is not, only venture there is you have very thick skin
Old May 30, 14, 7:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
the best thing you can do is read, read, and read some more. It takes alot of dedication to learn all the inns and outs to get this most out of this hobby (part-time job). The bloggers at boardingarea.com and flyertalk have all the info you need, but it will take lots of research on your part...no one can really tell you.
Old May 31, 14, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by johnnybebrave View Post

-I want to travel to Europe or Asia

-Thanks for reading
Europe and Asia are huge. It would help if you could narrow your choice. For instance, pick 1 or 2 countries.

Then decide the time of year you want to travel.

Then decide if you want to travel in coach, business or first class.

After that it will be a lot easier to figure out how many miles and points you need to get you there.
Old May 31, 14, 4:35 pm

I agree with wrxmom. Set a specific goal then go about figuring how to use the points you have to get to that goal. Each step will raise questions but you can do a lot of research without having to commit to anything.

Welcome to the game! Rules change all the time….it's keeps things interesting!

Search this Thread