Wiki Posts
Search

no experience with AA/British

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2014, 6:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

no experience with AA/British

I have family members trying to go from SFO-Hanoi Dec. 2015, pretty good lead time, but my somewhat extensive experience on United has me spoiled-how do I see/book Cathay with AA or British or a combo of both?
Trying for 8 seats dont laugh, will take as many as possible and they will pay cash for the rest.
They have @120kAA and 200k British right now.
Thanks for the expert help.
Old May 27, 2014, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
BA and Qantas will both show Cathay availability. IMO, Qantas has the better search interface. Anything found can be booked by calling AA. Will be MilesAAver rate.
Old May 27, 2014, 6:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Availability is horrible, and please dont tell me you cant book first on Cathay..............
Old May 28, 2014, 5:13 am

Tickets aren't even sold a year in advance...you may have to come back to this in Jan 2015.
Old May 28, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by member7777
Availability is horrible, and please dont tell me you cant book first on Cathay..............
Dec 2015 isn't bookable yet. You want 8 F seats? No way that's happening on one flight.
Old May 28, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by szehui
Tickets aren't even sold a year in advance...you may have to come back to this in Jan 2015.
Seats for sale at 355? days out or 330 days out are common with airline reservations systems. AA is 330 days.

In my veiw you have no hope in getting 8 award seats together, in any class, at a peak time. Do you have airline status? Have you looked at schedules and routes?

Anyway 120,000 AA miles and 200,000 BA avois for SFO-HAN will not get many awards seats for many people. Best if you plan on using cash.
Old May 28, 2014, 5:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Just looking at Dec. 14 for a feel for what is there. It sucks compared to United. But Chase has killed me so looking other places.
But 300k is a good start with 18 months lead, no problem generating another 300k or so, but using Qantas is a real pita.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You first have to assure the aircraft / flight in question has First cabin. E.g. JL out of SFO no longer offers First class, at least the last time I sent someone on JL SFO-HND using award miles.

You are, IMO, unlikely to find eight seats at one time, and doubly so if award seats. CX 747 offers nine seats in F, total; those 777-300s that have First offer six seats in the F cabin. But also look at AA, using the Hong Kong flight out of DFW (they use a new 777-323ER with a very nice First cabin - but it has a total of eight seats). BA - well, that will require considerable "YQ" fees and using two awards.

You may want to look at Business, which is quite comfortable with lie-flat seats and "mini-suites" on CX and AA's 77W, for instance, as well as JL.

You can book one way (only) awards with AAdvantage miles; I am not sure how BAEC awards work (other than using Avios for upgrades on BA).

Last edited by JDiver; May 31, 2014 at 3:44 pm
Old May 29, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Afaik the only way to fly SFO to HND on Cathay is with a connection in HKG, making it two zones, and requiring a second award.

If you want to use AA or BA miles you'll want to fly AA or JL.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:56 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Afaik the only way to fly SFO to HND on Cathay is with a connection in HKG, making it two zones, and requiring a second award.

If you want to use AA or BA miles you'll want to fly AA or JL.
They're not going to Tokyo, they're going to Hanoi, Vietnam. It would only be one award (North America->Asia 2).

I can say with virtual certainty there will not be 8 F awards on any single CX flight, anywhere, anytime.

Cheers,
Cameron
Old May 31, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Longhornmaniac8
They're not going to Tokyo, they're going to Hanoi, Vietnam. It would only be one award (North America->Asia 2).
Wow. I obviously I skimmed the thread way too fast! Saw a reference to SFO-HND in one of the other posts, and ran amok with it. Nevermind! Mea culpa!
Old May 31, 2014, 9:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Using BA and AA miles, or anyone else's for that matter, will not get you 8 seats in a premium cabin, full stop. And you don't appear to have anywhere near enough if they did. I doubt very much you'll find 8 economy seats together, but I could be wrong. That would be a terrible use of points. I suspect you may have to fork over some cash, but there is no point worrying about this for at least another seven months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.