FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Prescription question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1573128-prescription-question.html)

lexmarks567 Apr 29, 2014 11:50 pm

Prescription question

Does it matter if my Prescription bottle has my old address on it and can I put it in my checked bag or does it have to be carry on. Im new to flying and this is my first time flying with meds. I take it for high blood pressure. or should I mix a few into a bottle of aspirin and leave it in my checked luggage.

steveman518 Apr 30, 2014 12:19 am

I don't think it should matter...if you're worried about a checked bag going missing you should have a luggage tag with updated info and perhaps a slip of paper with the same

China Clipper Apr 30, 2014 12:33 am

The chance of a bag going missing is non-trivial.
I'd put it in your carry-on if it's important to your health.
The address issue won't be a big deal if your name matches.

WineCountryUA Apr 30, 2014 12:43 am

I have never had my prescription meds checked by anyone while traveling -- domestically or international.

However, it is always wise to have sufficient quantity with you (as carryon) in case your checked luggage is misplaced.

thebat Apr 30, 2014 7:00 am

no reason

To put meds in checked luggage. Just carry them on.

Doc Savage Apr 30, 2014 7:04 am

Bring your meds in your carryon luggage in case your checked luggage gets delayed or lost.

Leave prescription meds in their labeled bottles for easy identification by you or any nosy customs/law enforcement agents.

gj83 Apr 30, 2014 7:07 am

Delays and delayed baggage happen.

If you don't want to take time out of your trip to get a refill make sure to keep it with you.

If you fly on the regional carriers who gate check carry ons they always say to remove medications, laptops, and keys from bags that will be separated from you.

Paul56 Apr 30, 2014 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by lexmarks567 (Post 22783841)
Does it matter if my Prescription bottle has my old address on it and can I put it in my checked bag or does it have to be carry on. Im new to flying and this is my first time flying with meds. I take it for high blood pressure. or should I mix a few into a bottle of aspirin and leave it in my checked luggage.

I fly regularly with prescription medication domestically
and internationally.

Checked luggage can sometimes be lost, stolen or mishandled.
If that happens you could find yourself without meds. Best to
keep them with you in your carry-on.

As long as you are not bringing an extraordinarily large quantity
with you I doubt they will give your meds a second glance or give
you the third degree over them. You could have handy on your
phone the number for your pharmacy and Doc's office.

TheMadBrewer May 1, 2014 10:33 pm

Another recommendation I've heard is to have your doctor write you a prescription using the generic name (rather than a brand name) -- in case you need an emergency refill.

Leopold May 2, 2014 2:52 pm

That won't work internationally.