Best use of miles, the cheapest coach for Mid May 2014:
NRT\KIX> DPS>MNL>SIN

Here is what I got in my wallet:
UA 300K
AA 300K
AS 100K
SPG 150K
UR 350K

I m willing to pay cash and fly low budget Airlines such as Air Asia, Jet Star and the many other low budget Airlines that I don't know about because they wont show up on kayak.com

Thanks-
Old Apr 14, 14, 12:03 am

Programs: JL Premier | Marriott Platinum Elite | GE, TSA-Pre
Originally Posted by ual902 View Post
Best use of miles, the cheapest coach for Mid May 2014:
NRT\KIX> DPS>MNL>SIN

Here is what I got in my wallet:
UA 300K
AA 300K
AS 100K
SPG 150K
UR 350K

I m willing to pay cash and fly low budget Airlines such as Air Asia, Jet Star and the many other low budget Airlines that I don't know about because they wont show up on kayak.com

Thanks-
Maybe you can do a search regarding budget airlines in this thread:

Budget Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Air Asia (group), Cebu Pacific, Citilink, Eastar Jet, Firefly, GoAir, Golden Myanmar, IndiGo, Jeju Air, JetLite, Jin Air, Juneyao, Lion Air, Malindo, Nok Air, Orient Thai, Peach, Pegasus, Scoot, Skymark, SpiceJet, Spring, Tigerair (group), T’Way, Vietjet.
Old Apr 14, 14, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcpteck View Post
Maybe you can do a search regarding budget airlines in this thread:

Budget Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines
Air Asia (group), Cebu Pacific, Citilink, Eastar Jet, Firefly, GoAir, Golden Myanmar, IndiGo, Jeju Air, JetLite, Jin Air, Juneyao, Lion Air, Malindo, Nok Air, Orient Thai, Peach, Pegasus, Scoot, Skymark, SpiceJet, Spring, Tigerair (group), T’Way, Vietjet.
Thanks but is there away I Can do something with AA or UA with Stops? not in the mood of paying 20k or 17K per segment, but maybe I'm wrong?!.
Old Apr 14, 14, 1:56 am

Programs: BW Diamond, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, M&C Gold
BEst use of Miles Intra Asia

spg to aeroplan. 20k coach intra asia, but only 1 stop over. no scam charge on sq, eva, ua, ana domestic.

Skyscanner will show up budget flights for jetstar, scoot and tiger.

Last edited by planetshakers; Apr 14, 14 at 2:04 am
Old Apr 14, 14, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier 50K elite, EY silver, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, AA/UA (and CO,NW) once gold now dirt.
Offhand, I'd say you'll likely get a good result with KIX or NRT to MNL on Cebu Pacific, then to DPS on same, then to SIN on Air Asia (can also check Tiger Air or JetStar Asia there). Too much of a slamdunk to spend miles, IMO. I go back far enough to remember the pre-LCC days in that region, when best options included 20-25K TG or SQ on *A, or going to Khao San Rd. in Bangkok for ASEAN circle trips on carriers like Royal Brunei that might be semi-decent, or maybe having useful competition on BKK-SIN or BKK-MNL because someone like AZ or AF needed to fill seats on a thru flight.

I'd save miles for side trips to hard-to-get-to places, like Yap and/or Pohnpei out of Manila, maybe. Or ICN-ULN during Naadam.
Old Apr 14, 14, 2:02 am

Programs: UA, AA peon
NRT/KIX-DPS looks like your only direct choice is Garuda and it's way expensive. 1-stop you have a choice between various Chinese airlines for $3xx and Korean for $55x.
Or UA miles will get you there on Thai with overnight stop in BKK for 22.5k.
Or use AA miles on Cathay via HKG for 20k + phone booking fee.

I think I'd just pay for flights on cebu pacific/philippine air/jetstar for DPS-MNL-SIN ($100-$160 per segment for random mid-May dates I checked). Difficult to beat that with miles.
Old Apr 14, 14, 4:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Japan is difficult to get out of cheaply unfortunately, the market dynamics here are a bit messed up thanks to so many local consumers not being terribly price conscious.

Garuda is available via DL or another Skyteam carrier. You could transfer some points to DL for that, though if going the points route I'd certainly go Business and not Economy. Even expensive economy routes, I can't really justify the point cost.

For the short haul stuff, definitely LCC is more efficient than points in that region. Even for the long haul, you may strike a deal on Air Asia or Scoot out of Japan but they're harder to come by.
Old Apr 14, 14, 6:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before transferring points into DL miles, make sure that there's award availability on the flights you want or can use.

Search this Thread