Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

United/Delta debate - what do the airlines consider a high value customer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United/Delta debate - what do the airlines consider a high value customer?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I don't think that either UA or DL use "elite" ranges to define HVC's. Indeed, both carriers focus their real marketing on large corporate contracts and dangle awards and the bits and pieces of perks as further inducements.

In the end, it's not about spend, but net revenue and high volume corporate international travel in premium cabins is the name of the game.

The real problem the carriers face is what to do to keep the loyalty of the regular international premium traveler. Lounge, upgrades, priority boarding and all that stuff really don't matter because that's what you get for buying the premium ticket. Even stuff like pickup in a fancy car doesn't count for that much.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
I am a US CP and flying Delta since last 5 weeks. Delta status matched me to Platinum. I was initially happy (for a week...), Later I found out that I WON'T get platinum bonus miles, which i consider the only real benefit for me with the status. Delta - No one way awards, high redemption rates, fuel surcharges on partner awards...the list goes on. UA may not be a great program .....but Delta no better.

I am traveling between BOS - MSP and paying $1100 for round trip and the fare class is Discounted economy. I am always # 10 - # 20 on the upgrade list when only 2 seats are remaining.

One last thought: I found Delta employees to be extremely friendly and nice. In my opinion they are the best. Management is a bunch of A-holes.

Last edited by virtuo0; Mar 21, 2014 at 9:56 am
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Why aren't you getting Platinum bonus miles?
Old Mar 22, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Originally Posted by javabytes
Why aren't you getting Platinum bonus miles?

That's the policy. I emailed and called. If you are status matched you won't get the bonus. When I said the bonus is the only real tangible benefit with the status and without it the status is useless, CSR said then why bother complete the platinum challenge, don't do it.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plt
Agree with the previous poster who stated you need to spend upwards of $30K on United to get their attention, and that figure has gone down the last couple of years.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That may be for individuals. But, UA also pays a great deal of attention to the people who actually control corporate contracts. Those people may fly infrequently and never actually earn status, but they are not only GS, but flagged for special treatment as well.

Same thing as the CEO's spouse. The CEO may fly in paid F, but you can bet that UA will find the spouse a seat too.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:26 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Two other advantages for Delta I would think may be applicable to you are rollover elite miles, which in the long run would likely benefit a traveler with your flight patterns (i.e., you'll end up with higher status from those extra miles every other year or so), and you can earn a significant amount of elite mileage with Delta Reserve Cards, up to 30k elite miles per year per card (15k elite miles for each 30k in spend, you can easily get two cards) and also a waiver of the dollar requirements from spend (though that wouldn't matter for you it sounds like).
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by virtuo0
That's the policy. I emailed and called. If you are status matched you won't get the bonus. When I said the bonus is the only real tangible benefit with the status and without it the status is useless, CSR said then why bother complete the platinum challenge, don't do it.
Is that just for the challenge period? Once you're qualifying normally, you'd certainly have to receive the bonus, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.