Wiki Posts
Search

Buy ticket now or after Thanksgiving?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2013, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles
Buy ticket now or after Thanksgiving?

I'm about to buy an international ticket.

Does anyone know the history of fares before and after Thanksgiving? Curious as to if any airline offers Black Friday deals or if it would be wiser to buy a ticket now or wait until Friday?

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry if this doesn't belong here, I'm still wrapping my head around where threads belong in this forum.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Best buy had some "cyber monday" deals this past monday, and will probably have some more on next monday, and maybe friday. However, with a quick glance there weren't any amazing deals.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by suvayanr
Best buy had some "cyber monday" deals this past monday, and will probably have some more on next monday, and maybe friday. However, with a quick glance there weren't any amazing deals.
Since when does Best Buy sell air tickets?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
You aren't going to find any "amazing deals" because they react to the market nearly every day. After all, a sale is nothing more than a price correction for an overpriced item. The only way I could see the prices coming down if others aren't buying because they are out buying other stuff.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles
Just curious as there's gotta be some historical fare graphs by month/time of year that would probably let us know. Anyone know of a site like that?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Black Friday shopping has really gotten to me. I meant Delta!

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Quote:

Originally Posted by suvayanr

Since when does Best Buy sell air tickets?
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:27 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Airlines don't do Black Friday deals. Years ago, you could get $99 roundtrip deals for traveling on Thanksgiving or Christmas Day, but the days of those kinds of deals is long since past. Revenue management is the name of the game in these days of reduced capacity.

The late Ohio State football coach Woody Hayes defended his reluctance to pass the football by noting that three things can happen when you pass and two of them are bad.

The same can be said for waiting to purchase airline tickets. Yes, the fare can go down in some cases, but they can also sell out or the fare goes up.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mctenold
Just curious as there's gotta be some historical fare graphs by month/time of year that would probably let us know. Anyone know of a site like that?
Bing has price predictor. Although it currently only supports "U.S. domestic trips from 1 night to 3 weeks long within the next 180 days.
Trips to or from Canada from 1 night to 8 days long within the next 90 days.
Europe and Caribbean trips up to 2 weeks long within the next 120 days."
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
Bing has price predictor. Although it currently only supports "U.S. domestic trips from 1 night to 3 weeks long within the next 180 days.
Trips to or from Canada from 1 night to 8 days long within the next 90 days.
Europe and Caribbean trips up to 2 weeks long within the next 120 days."
But Bing is largely an inferior company IMO.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:04 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Thread Alert

Originally Posted by us2
Airlines don't do Black Friday deals.
Perhaps not — but Delta Air Lines did have a “Cyber Monday” sale on November 25, 2013.
EDIT: Sorry if this doesn't belong here, I'm still wrapping my head around where threads belong in this forum.
Do not worry about it, mctenold. Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Because you are a new member, the new home for this discussion is now the new Information Desk forum, where helpful fellow FlyerTalk members will be more than happy to assist you.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta SkyMiles forum
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
I'm about to buy an international ticket.

Does anyone know the history of fares before and after Thanksgiving? Curious as to if any airline offers Black Friday deals or if it would be wiser to buy a ticket now or wait until Friday?

Thanks!

Most importantly, what are your travel dates? Where are you traveling to? I agree with the other posters that cyber Monday won't have much effect on airline tickets.

Our advice will be different if you're planning to fly to the Caribbean in January, than if you're planning a trip to Europe in September.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL
Airfares are incredibly difficult to track and predict. Yes there are trends and patterns that can be watched, but the main rule of thumb is, if you see a fare you like, take it. It most likely won't stick around for long. Looking at fare codes is also a good indicator. If you are looking at a fare code in one of the lower price buckets (LUTXVE), take it. If you have your travel plans and feel comfortable sharing, we may be able to guide you in the right direction.

Also, Welcome to FT! I hope you find it as welcoming and insightful as I have over the years.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
As time passes and your travel dates get near, you may find that you cannot meet advance purchase requirements for some cheap fares. If you're considering a ticket and are thinking about waiting to purchase it, at least look for this in the fare rules. It's not foolproof as an indication that the same ticket will continue to be available as inventory could be gone or the fare or fare rules could change.

Remember too that tickets exUSA generally can be cancelled without penalty within 24 hours of purchase. For tickets purchased from DL, this means midnight of the following day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.