Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

New Member Roll Call!

New Member Roll Call!

Old Nov 28, 13, 7:08 pm
  #61  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), now an Elite Peon
Posts: 23,003
Originally Posted by DLWinger View Post
I thought I was a seasoned traveler until I ran into this site.
I think that's the story most of us share. Welcome!
jackal is offline  
Old Nov 28, 13, 7:17 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London, UK
Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Carlson Gold
Posts: 23
I'm from the UK and have been reading this site for a couple of months, but only signed up yesterday. I've always been fascinated by airports and planes since I was a kid, and have been lucky enough to spend much of the last 3 or 4 years travelling through Asia. I dread to think of how many unearned miles and hotel points I've passed up through lack of knowledge of the various status programs

I look forward to being part of the community here
swancity is offline  
Old Nov 28, 13, 8:37 pm
  #63  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), now an Elite Peon
Posts: 23,003
Originally Posted by swancity View Post
I dread to think of how many unearned miles and hotel points I've passed up through lack of knowledge of the various status programs
Let's rectify that as quickly as possible! Welcome!
jackal is offline  
Old Nov 29, 13, 6:34 am
  #64  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Programs: Skymiles
Posts: 5
Hello to the Flyer Talk Team and Members! I live in Atlanta and came across Flyer Talk while searching airline same day mileage runs a few weeks ago (I didnít even know such a term existed). Since then Iíve been perusing the threads and was a little intimidated by the lingo and ins and outs of how these mileage runs work. Iíve been learning a lot through the threads and signed up yesterday. I wish I had found this site sooner, as the year end is fast approaching and I need to retain status with Delta (needing 16,331 MQMs) and reach first tier status with United (needing 4,494 PQMs). I look forward to learning from and being a contributor in the group in the future. Thanks for putting together such a great forum!
Allison817 is offline  
Old Nov 29, 13, 11:43 pm
  #65  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New Jersey
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 288
I'm a teacher from New Jersey who loves to to travel and fly, no matter the destination. i had a job in college that allowed me to fly some pretty unique routes like CKB - PVD and used TTN as our home airport which kept me entertained and visiting airports that are relatively uncommon. It's just over the past 6 months I went from "Oh, I'll get miles when I fly" to "If I eat here I get more miles than here? Sold!" and really look forward to learning, contributing, and maybe most of all, traveling. I am going to Milan in February...
dantorsiello is offline  
Old Nov 30, 13, 6:21 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SYD
Programs: UA Plat
Posts: 94
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Welcome to Flyertalk Z aka BarefootBandit to Flyertalk ^

Haven't hit SYD yet... but be aware- when you say AUS we think you may be going here
Thanks for the welcome ^

Well, I did use small "u" and "s" for that reason, but having said that, I wouldn't mind a trip to AUS Too darn many places to choose form in the US!

Z...
BarefootBandit is offline  
Old Dec 1, 13, 4:19 pm
  #67  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NC
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 5
Hello everyone! I am completely new to this world of points and miles and don't understand much of it at all, but through this forum I'm hoping to learn a lot.

I recently applied for and got accepted for a Citi AAdvantage Master Card Platinum and hit my my $1,000 in 3 months so I'm looking forward to my 30,000 miles credit.

I'm hoping this will be the beginning of becoming a miles millionaire one day!

Nice to meet y'all.
singswell is offline  
Old Dec 1, 13, 8:50 pm
  #68  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3
Hooked

An old friend of mine has been telling me about her Flyertalk trips and Do's for many years. This weekend my friend took me to Dubai (with her points, thanks so much AN) and I met 6 of her FT friends who had flown in from all over the world. It's like a switch was flicked on for me. I learned a lot, namely that I have a LOT to learn. That's why I'm here. I look forward to starting to figure this all out... Jill
jillbrinn is offline  
Old Dec 1, 13, 10:00 pm
  #69  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,572
Originally Posted by Allison817 View Post
Hello to the Flyer Talk Team and Members! I live in Atlanta and came across Flyer Talk while searching airline same day mileage runs a few weeks ago (I didnít even know such a term existed). Since then Iíve been perusing the threads and was a little intimidated by the lingo and ins and outs of how these mileage runs work. Iíve been learning a lot through the threads and signed up yesterday. I wish I had found this site sooner, as the year end is fast approaching and I need to retain status with Delta (needing 16,331 MQMs) and reach first tier status with United (needing 4,494 PQMs). I look forward to learning from and being a contributor in the group in the future. Thanks for putting together such a great forum!
Welcome Allison817 and good luck with your DL status ^ End of year MR's are a common occurrence on FT

Originally Posted by dantorsiello View Post
I'm a teacher from New Jersey who loves to to travel and fly, no matter the destination. i had a job in college that allowed me to fly some pretty unique routes like CKB - PVD and used TTN as our home airport which kept me entertained and visiting airports that are relatively uncommon. It's just over the past 6 months I went from "Oh, I'll get miles when I fly" to "If I eat here I get more miles than here? Sold!" and really look forward to learning, contributing, and maybe most of all, traveling. I am going to Milan in February...
Miles are a nice thing to acquire. If you want some real unique flights- try teaching in Bush Alaska May FT lead to many more miles dantorsiello.

Originally Posted by BarefootBandit View Post
Thanks for the welcome ^

Well, I did use small "u" and "s" for that reason, but having said that, I wouldn't mind a trip to AUS Too darn many places to choose form in the US!
Z...
Ha- sounds like visiting down under

Originally Posted by singswell View Post
Hello everyone! I am completely new to this world of points and miles and don't understand much of it at all, but through this forum I'm hoping to learn a lot.

I recently applied for and got accepted for a Citi AAdvantage Master Card Platinum and hit my my $1,000 in 3 months so I'm looking forward to my 30,000 miles credit.

I'm hoping this will be the beginning of becoming a miles millionaire one day!

Nice to meet y'all.
Welcome aboard singswell ^ CC's can be a quick way to build point balances for sure- but there are many other ways too.

Originally Posted by jillbrinn View Post
An old friend of mine has been telling me about her Flyertalk trips and Do's for many years. This weekend my friend took me to Dubai (with her points, thanks so much AN) and I met 6 of her FT friends who had flown in from all over the world. It's like a switch was flicked on for me. I learned a lot, namely that I have a LOT to learn. That's why I'm here. I look forward to starting to figure this all out... Jill
jillbrinn what a great way to learn about FT- and you have a very generous friend indeed Stick around- its quite a trip!
beckoa is offline  
Old Dec 4, 13, 9:22 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: CA, USA
Posts: 2
No idea where to start

Hello all!

I was recently searching ways to build up travel miles, points and such and found my way to Flyertalk. My wife and I enjoy traveling and are actually planning a one year traveling/backpacking trip starting this summer in June and that got us thinking about how we travel and how we could do better.

Our goal is to learn the travel ins and outs so we can save money and keep traveling longer.

Basically, we have no idea how to be travel savvy and are looking forward to learning from all of you.

We do not belong to any groups or have any travel oriented credit cards or anything like that. So any advice on those topics would be much appreciated. Oh and we travel internationally a lot more than domestically if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
cheapchap26 is offline  
Old Dec 4, 13, 9:50 pm
  #71  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,572
Originally Posted by cheapchap26 View Post
Hello all!

I was recently searching ways to build up travel miles, points and such and found my way to Flyertalk. My wife and I enjoy traveling and are actually planning a one year traveling/backpacking trip starting this summer in June and that got us thinking about how we travel and how we could do better.

Our goal is to learn the travel ins and outs so we can save money and keep traveling longer.

Basically, we have no idea how to be travel savvy and are looking forward to learning from all of you.

We do not belong to any groups or have any travel oriented credit cards or anything like that. So any advice on those topics would be much appreciated. Oh and we travel internationally a lot more than domestically if that makes any difference.

Thanks!
Welcome to Flyertalk cheapchap26 and nice handle

There are thousands of threads to decipher based on your travel goals- but stopping by the stickies are a quick way to narrow down to a more narrow range to start. Do you have any programs you've been parking miles with? If so stop by those forums to see how you can maximize what you have. Once there- you can see if any other programs yield more on your investment
beckoa is offline  
Old Dec 4, 13, 10:27 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: IAH
Programs: UA
Posts: 2
Hey everyone!

I'm really thrilled about maximizing the flyer experience. I've only recently begun to travel a great deal, and am glad there is a place to consolidate our collective information.

Fishpunt
fishpunt is offline  
Old Dec 5, 13, 2:59 am
  #73  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,572
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by fishpunt
Hey everyone!

I'm really thrilled about maximizing the flyer experience. I've only recently begun to travel a great deal, and am glad there is a place to consolidate our collective information.

Fishpunt
Indeed this place is fishpunt and welcome to Flyertalk ^

Interesting choice of a handle- with the thousands of fish I've handled I've never punted one
beckoa is offline  
Old Dec 5, 13, 3:37 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 12
Hi! Longtime lurker but recently thought I'd step up my game, join here, and play with the big boys (and girls).

Just moved to Singapore and looking to understand if I have an alternative to SIA Krisflyer...
samlimpeh is offline  
Old Dec 5, 13, 8:14 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4
Hello

Hi! I am Harpreet from Toronto
vipfakeer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread