Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

New Member Roll Call!

New Member Roll Call!

Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:40 am
  #16  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Posts: 23,211
Originally Posted by deovrat
Hello everyone.

I'm from India and just graduated out of college. To say I'm new to the world of points and miles would be an understatement. The only programs I've been enrolled into so far is Air India's Flying Returns (I know!) and Le Accor Club where I'm Platinum (who isn't?).

So, everything on here will be a nice addition to my knowledge and hopefully I can grow into it more and more.

Cheers.^
-Deovrat
Welcome!

Originally Posted by deovrat
and Le Accor Club where I'm Platinum (who isn't?)
jackal is offline  
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:32 pm
  #17  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Hi, Im Heather from Chicago and I'm a part time blogger .. I love credit card deals, shopping, travel and fine wine

Last edited by jackal; Nov 18, 2013 at 12:34 pm Reason: Commercial links are against the FlyerTalk Terms of Service, thanks!
Heather Johnson is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:23 am
  #18  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: FAI
Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 42,967
Originally Posted by Heather Johnson
Hi, Im Heather from Chicago and I'm a part time blogger .. I love credit card deals, shopping, travel and fine wine
Welcome to Flyertalk ^

See that you enjoy wine you'll fit in perfectly
beckoa is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2013, 12:51 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Charleston, SC
Programs: SkyMiles
Posts: 4
Hi, I'm Corey. Lately a frequent traveler. Flew a lot as a kid once my parents separated.

Never had a fear of flying. One flight changed that when we hit the worst turbulence I've ever had. People flew out of their seats and hit the ceiling. That happened when I was probably 14 or 15.

Now 27, still have a fear of flying that stems from that event. Always kind of on edge that I will hit that turbulence again. It sucks because I fly a lot for my career. It's gotten better over the last few years. But still find myself having to calm myself down. I feel like the more I talk about my fears the better it gets. So I've joined to see if this site can help relieve some of that stress.

Hello everyone!
mctenold is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2013, 2:09 pm
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Posts: 23,211
Originally Posted by mctenold
Hi, I'm Corey. Lately a frequent traveler. Flew a lot as a kid once my parents separated.

Never had a fear of flying. One flight changed that when we hit the worst turbulence I've ever had. People flew out of their seats and hit the ceiling. That happened when I was probably 14 or 15.

Now 27, still have a fear of flying that stems from that event. Always kind of on edge that I will hit that turbulence again. It sucks because I fly a lot for my career. It's gotten better over the last few years. But still find myself having to calm myself down. I feel like the more I talk about my fears the better it gets. So I've joined to see if this site can help relieve some of that stress.

Hello everyone!
Welcome!

Here are a few things that have helped me whenever I've encountered fear during turbulence.

1. Read this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-q-thread.html It's long, but it's a fascinating read and well worth it. You'll see just how well-trained and experienced the pilots of major airlines are (that one is from the United forum). After reading that thread, I have absolutely no qualms about the qualifications of U.S. mainline air carrier pilots.
2. Remember something my flight instructor told me when I was taking private pilot lessons: these airplanes are built pre-stressed for insane G-forces. You will break loose from your seatbelt and be plastered against the ceiling long before the aircraft is damaged.
3. No matter how much the wings flex, they will not break. No aircraft has (to my knowledge and research) crashed nor people killed from the wings snapping off or anything like that during cruise flight. The only injuries sustained due to cruise-flight turbulence have been loose objects being thrown around the cabin.

Hope this helps. There are also plenty of threads around FlyerTalk which have discussed this topic that you might find helpful. Check out this link to find some of them: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...fear+of+flying
jackal is offline  
Old Nov 20, 2013, 3:56 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Cool

Hi,

Great resourceful forum guys. Love the jargon throwing and intricacy in this forum. I am a law student hailing from The Hague, The Netherlands.

Nice to be here and greetings to all the members and mods.
bijoyroy is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2013, 2:05 am
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Posts: 23,211
Originally Posted by bijoyroy
Hi,

Great resourceful forum guys. Love the jargon throwing and intricacy in this forum. I am a law student hailing from The Hague, The Netherlands.

Nice to be here and greetings to all the members and mods.
Welcome!

We do try to limit jargon and acronyms here in the Information Desk forum, but out there in broader FlyerTalk-land, it can get pretty crazy pretty quickly. You'll learn fast, though.

Lots of lawyers on FlyerTalk, too. (IANAL...that means "I am not a lawyer." There are a lot of us here, too. )
jackal is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:21 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
Hello there! My name is Nick, and I just joined the forum after perusing a ton of threads here. I'm finding it incredibly useful, and a lot of fun!

My dad is a cargo pilot, which means he has a lot of miles, but I never got the perks of simply flying standby like immediate family members of passenger airline pilots...however, I was fortunate enough to take a trip or two with his miles while in college, and it changed my life. It's always been in my blood, but I'm now more passionate about travel than ever.

So, a couple years out of school and finally with a moderate and stable income, I'm ready to take on the world of inexpensive travel. I can't wait to jump headfirst into the community!
nickbarks is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:24 am
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Posts: 23,211
Originally Posted by nickbarks
Hello there! My name is Nick, and I just joined the forum after perusing a ton of threads here. I'm finding it incredibly useful, and a lot of fun!

My dad is a cargo pilot, which means he has a lot of miles, but I never got the perks of simply flying standby like immediate family members of passenger airline pilots...however, I was fortunate enough to take a trip or two with his miles while in college, and it changed my life. It's always been in my blood, but I'm now more passionate about travel than ever.

So, a couple years out of school and finally with a moderate and stable income, I'm ready to take on the world of inexpensive travel. I can't wait to jump headfirst into the community!
Welcome! Tons to learn here and tons of ways to find travel cheaply. It can be a lot to ingest, but let us know and we'll be happy to help in any way we can!
jackal is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:04 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by jackal
Welcome! Tons to learn here and tons of ways to find travel cheaply. It can be a lot to ingest, but let us know and we'll be happy to help in any way we can!
Thanks, Jackal!
nickbarks is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:19 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1
Hi!
LzyDrgnz is offline  
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:48 pm
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Posts: 23,211
Originally Posted by LzyDrgnz
Hi!
Welcome! Let us know if we can help!
jackal is offline  
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:34 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PSP LAX OMA ORD
Programs: All of 'em
Posts: 282
Hello, I'm MileageManager. I guess you can say I specialize in earn-in's and spend-out's across partnerships and alliances. I'm not new to FFP's obviously, but I've been busy contributing to the "other blogs" that's why you haven't seen me around yet.

1W and SKTM only. I try to stay away from *A.
MileageManager is offline  
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:19 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: ATL
Programs: DL, AA
Posts: 6,031
Originally Posted by MileageManager
Hello, I'm MileageManager. I guess you can say I specialize in earn-in's and spend-out's across partnerships and alliances. I'm not new to FFP's obviously, but I've been busy contributing to the "other blogs" that's why you haven't seen me around yet.

1W and SKTM only. I try to stay away from *A.
Welcome, MM. Glad you have joined us. May I ask why you avoid *A?

(For any confused new members, those are the three major airline alliances - One World, SkyTeam, and Star Alliance.)
scoow is offline  
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:03 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PSP LAX OMA ORD
Programs: All of 'em
Posts: 282
Originally Posted by scoow
Welcome, MM. Glad you have joined us. May I ask why you avoid *A?

(For any confused new members, those are the three major airline alliances - One World, SkyTeam, and Star Alliance.)
What I really meant was I scowl and cringe whenever my clients fly *A and they ask for a partner earn-in, say into Air China (CA). CA's website is a headache; then I have to mail the BP's to you know, Shanghai and cross my fingers they get there.

Things like that.
MileageManager is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.