RESOURCES: Getting Started, Member Tips, Helpful Links, FAQs, and More

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2013, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Getting Started

You'll find a general sitewide Topic Index in the Where to find information about... thread. Otherwise, a variety of specialized resources are listed below.

Trip Planning: Finding the Best Fares, Choosing a Carrier, Best Routes/Connections, etc.

Looking for a "good" fare? There's no magic formula… you just need to search and study and search some more! Here's a list of links to some of FlyerTalkers' most frequently used resources to get you started:

Choosing an Award Program

Combining Points/Miles

Using Credit Cards to Get Miles/Points

Getting the Most Out of FlyerTalk

Print Wikipost

RESOURCES: Getting Started, Member Tips, Helpful Links, FAQs, and More

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2023, 2:08 pm

Is there a recent forum/post that discusses websites for searching airfares? The Online Travel Booking sticky post at the top of this post appears to be several years old and I'm not clear if there are better sites that have become more useful. I'm looking to book roundtrip between Chicago and New York and I'm not sure if kayak.com is still considered a good site.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 2:55 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by sanjosanjo
Is there a recent forum/post that discusses websites for searching airfares? The Online Travel Booking sticky post at the top of this post appears to be several years old and I'm not clear if there are better sites that have become more useful. I'm looking to book roundtrip between Chicago and New York and I'm not sure if kayak.com is still considered a good site.
I use flights.google.com constantly for airfare searches.
SPN Lifer and sanjosanjo like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 4:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Hilton, Westjet
I have a lot of Aeroplan, & Alaska points and hoping to book a nice business class flight somewhere later this year from YVR. Is there somewhere on this site that shows how best to redeem points? I can't really figure out where to begin and start looking...
Old Jul 8, 2023, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

kruzinkid Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by kruzinkid
I have a lot of Aeroplan, & Alaska points and hoping to book a nice business class flight somewhere later this year from YVR. Is there somewhere on this site that shows how best to redeem points? I can't really figure out where to begin and start looking...
From YVR to where?
Depending on the ffp awards can start to become available from 353/330 days out or some other date. Business class awards can be very hard to get. More so at peak times.
Start by looking in the AC Aeroplan, & Alaska forums
AC https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-...-aeroplan-375/
AS https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...eage-plan-442/
kruzinkid likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 9:32 pm

Thanks Mwenenzi.
I was hoping to find a high-value redemption pretty much anywhere outside of North America. Someone had mentioned cowtool to me, but apparently it is only offering limited features for new users signing up at this time......I'm not sure if there are other options to help search trips, but I'll keep scouring those threads you mentioned to try and keep learning.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 10:38 pm

I'm sorry guys....I am not sure if this is a rediculous question, but how to I find these wikis? I am trying to find the cowtool wiki and learn about it.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
When created, a FlyerTalk wikipost precedes the first post of a given thread.
kruzinkid and Tonywu like this.
Old Jan 28, 2024, 8:39 am

How do I start a new thread, please? I don't see a link for that

I want to start a new thread. Can you please guide me? Thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2024, 7:08 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Ellen170
I want to start a new thread. Can you please guide me? Thanks.
There's a button toward the top on the left side. Probably the easiest way to find it is to do Control+F (or the equivalent if you're on a Mac) and find "New thread" on the page.
Old Yesterday, 6:13 am
Suspended

To get started, explore our member tips, helpful links, FAQs, and more. Whether you're new to the community or looking for additional resources, you'll find valuable information to enhance your experience. Dive in and discover everything you need to make the most of your journey here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.