RESOURCES: Getting Started, Member Tips, Helpful Links, FAQs, and More

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 11, 2013, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Getting Started

You'll find a general sitewide Topic Index in the Where to find information about... thread. Otherwise, a variety of specialized resources are listed below.

Trip Planning: Finding the Best Fares, Choosing a Carrier, Best Routes/Connections, etc.

Looking for a "good" fare? There's no magic formula… you just need to search and study and search some more! Here's a list of links to some of FlyerTalkers' most frequently used resources to get you started:

Choosing an Award Program

Combining Points/Miles

Using Credit Cards to Get Miles/Points

Getting the Most Out of FlyerTalk

Print Wikipost

RESOURCES: Getting Started, Member Tips, Helpful Links, FAQs, and More

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to navigate through long threads without the view jumping around and causing me to lose my place in the thread. When I scroll down through a thread Wiki it disappears from view before I can get to the end. I'll be reading through a thread and when I press the down or up arrow or page up or down it skips and I completely lose my place. This happens on ALL computers and ALL browsers. Is there a way to overcome this problem?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by GrizShel
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to navigate through long threads without the view jumping around and causing me to lose my place in the thread. When I scroll down through a thread Wiki it disappears from view before I can get to the end. I'll be reading through a thread and when I press the down or up arrow or page up or down it skips and I completely lose my place. This happens on ALL computers and ALL browsers. Is there a way to overcome this problem?
It's an artifact of the Infinite Scroll feature that the admins turned on awhile back. I generally like Infinte Scroll but agree that trying to access a Wiki with Infinite Scroll is annoying. You can disable it by following the instructions in the Wiki or the first post here: Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version
missionpa likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, IHG One Rewards, Marriot Bonvoy, Wyndham Rewards
Hi, I've a question on earning miles on mixed economy booking codes on partner airlines. When i make a itinerary, most of the time it will gives out different economy class booking codes. Some will earn 25% miles, some will earn 50% miles or some earn no miles at all. What amount of miles will i earn for the itinerary and how can i ensure i book the correct booking class?

My itinerary is SIN-YYZ-YVR-SIN on JAL and I'm a MH Blue member
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hashim17
Hi, I've a question on earning miles on mixed economy booking codes on partner airlines. When I make a itinerary, most of the time it will gives out different economy class booking codes. Some will earn 25% miles, some will earn 50% miles or some earn no miles at all. What amount of miles will I earn for the itinerary and how can I ensure I book the correct booking class?

My itinerary is SIN-YYZ-YVR-SIN on JAL and I'm a MH Blue member
Can be very difficult to determine the fare booking class before purchase. Depends a lot on the airline.
After making the reservation the fare booking codes can be on the ticket/PNR/email or airline web site. Or not.
Manage my booking in the Finnair and/or SriLankan airline web sites can show more.
https://www.srilankan.com/en_uk/au

I assume YYZ-YVR is not on JAL, as not in the wikipedia listing. Nor are JL flight from YYZ
Probably a codeshare or native flight another airline. Maybe Westjet (not a Oneworld airline). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WestJet
Earnings on codeshares can be harder to determine. Or earn nothing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_destinations

Great Circle Mapper
https://www.wheretocredit.com/japan-airlines
Old Jan 4, 2020, 12:10 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines Krisflyer, IHG One Rewards, Marriot Bonvoy, Wyndham Rewards
Thanks for the reply. One question though, say one leg (SIN-YYZ) booking class earn 50% of the miles whereas the return leg (YVR-SIN) only earn 25% of the miles, how will the total miles be counted for the entire itinerary ? Will it be 50% + 25%, 50% only or 25% only?

YYZ-YVR is on an award ticket on Westjet, redeemed using Delta SkyMiles
Old Jan 4, 2020, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

50% and 25%. Is counted for each flight number. Look at great circle mapper
As JAL does not fly to/from YYZ how are you getting there?
Or is it SIN-YVR-YYZ-YVR-SIN ?
If JAL are you going via Japan? NRT/HND?
Possible Great Circle Mapper
Old Jan 4, 2020, 1:40 am

From what i can see from the booking page,

1st leg - SIN-HND/NRT-ORD(most common)/NYC/DFW-YYZ (paying)
2nd leg - YYZ-YVR (redeem miles)
3rd leg - YVR-HND/NRT-SIN (paying)

Since JAL does not fly Toronto, the US-CA portion is either from ORD/NYC to YYZ on AA / AC
Old Nov 5, 2021, 4:46 am
Suspended

Joined This Thread

Subscribed to this thread Information Desk. Looking for more valuable info and tips
Old Nov 30, 2021, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Typing

I wonder if some kind person can help? Just lately, I assume I must be doing something wrong or something must’ve changed because when typing, say on a new paragraph, my cursor changes to typing the initial letter in lowercase, instead of starting the sentence with a capital.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
deleted

Last edited by cajunguy; Jan 13, 2022 at 8:46 am
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:38 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
So, I have no clue where to ask this...

I'm trying to comment on the Alaska Airlines article on the main page of the website. My planned post is as follows:
My main objection to things like this is...well, frankly, in at least some cases passengers paid for a ticket that had "X" included (whatever X happens to be...alcoholic beverages, an in-flight meal, etc.) and now it's not there. If you've got a direct/non-stop flight this can be worked around to a large extent, but if you've got a bad connection (not exactly implausible in a lot of cases) then the loss of the meal (and thus potentially having to spring for an airport-price meal) can easily be a hit of $15-30.

So even stipulating that this is "actually" for health/safety reasons (versus being a staffing/supply chain issue), the "right" answer would be for AS to offer pax some form of a voucher/reimbursement (potentially in the form of a credit with a "long tail" expiration) up to a given value for grabbing a meal at either their departure or connecting airport. Bluntly, if they can't/won't provide on-board meals for these longer flights, they can at *least* deal with it and comp folks a trip to the airport McDonald's.
This isn't about the content in the post per se, but I'm being told that there's apparently one or more words that "aren't allowed". I am utterly at a loss for the "objectionable" word(s) in there, and the site isn't giving me so much as a clue so I can work around the problem.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
So, I have no clue where to ask this...

I'm trying to comment on the Alaska Airlines article on the main page of the website. My planned post is as follows:
<snip>
This isn't about the content in the post per se, but I'm being told that there's apparently one or more words that "aren't allowed". I am utterly at a loss for the "objectionable" word(s) in there, and the site isn't giving me so much as a clue so I can work around the problem.
Look and post in the AS forum. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...eage-plan-442/
Old May 9, 2022, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
It's an artifact of the Infinite Scroll feature that the admins turned on awhile back. I generally like Infinte Scroll but agree that trying to access a Wiki with Infinite Scroll is annoying. You can disable it by following the instructions in the Wiki or the first post here: Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version
Very, very late to this, but thank you. I’ve been away from FlyerTalk for a few years and this “feature” has been driving me nuts since I came back. After a few days I tried searching for why it was doing this, and your post came up. So again, many many thanks.
Old May 10, 2023, 9:24 am

I have a question about Philippine Airline, where do I post it as I do not see it on the list?
Old May 10, 2023, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ehanbao
I have a question about Philippine Airline, where do I post it as I do not see it on the list?
That would go in the Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...-airlines-470/
chgoeditor likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.