Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

RESOURCES: Getting Started, Member Tips, Helpful Links, FAQs, and More

RESOURCES: Getting Started, Member Tips, Helpful Links, FAQs, and More

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 21, 17, 9:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Getting Started

You'll find a general sitewide Topic Index in the Where to find information about... thread. Otherwise, a variety of specialized resources are listed below.

Trip Planning: Finding the Best Fares, Choosing a Carrier, Best Routes/Connections, etc.

Looking for a "good" fare? There's no magic formula… you just need to search and study and search some more! Here's a list of links to some of FlyerTalkers' most frequently used resources to get you started:

Choosing an Award Program

Combining Points/Miles

Using Credit Cards to Get Miles/Points

Getting the Most Out of FlyerTalk

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 28, 19, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donski101 View Post
How do I create my first post/question. I've hunted high and low through the menus and the resources?
Just go the sub forum and start a new thread
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles-points-1/
As your profile lists "Programs: Qantas BA"
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...tive-club-446/
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qant...ent-flyer-498/

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 28, 19 at 1:22 pm
Old Nov 17, 19, 5:47 am

Getting Started

How do you Submit First Query. I did find info saying go to relevant forum and then New Thread. I did find relevant forum (MCT at airports http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...rt-connections ) But I can't find 'New Thread' within the forum. As you will gather I am a new member. Thanks.
Old Dec 16, 19, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to navigate through long threads without the view jumping around and causing me to lose my place in the thread. When I scroll down through a thread Wiki it disappears from view before I can get to the end. I'll be reading through a thread and when I press the down or up arrow or page up or down it skips and I completely lose my place. This happens on ALL computers and ALL browsers. Is there a way to overcome this problem?
Old Dec 16, 19, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), now an Elite Peon
Originally Posted by GrizShel View Post
I cannot for the life of me figure out how to navigate through long threads without the view jumping around and causing me to lose my place in the thread. When I scroll down through a thread Wiki it disappears from view before I can get to the end. I'll be reading through a thread and when I press the down or up arrow or page up or down it skips and I completely lose my place. This happens on ALL computers and ALL browsers. Is there a way to overcome this problem?
It's an artifact of the Infinite Scroll feature that the admins turned on awhile back. I generally like Infinte Scroll but agree that trying to access a Wiki with Infinite Scroll is annoying. You can disable it by following the instructions in the Wiki or the first post here: Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version
missionpa likes this.
Old Jan 3, 20, 9:52 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Malaysia Enrich, Singapore Airlines Krisflyer
Hi, I've a question on earning miles on mixed economy booking codes on partner airlines. When i make a itinerary, most of the time it will gives out different economy class booking codes. Some will earn 25% miles, some will earn 50% miles or some earn no miles at all. What amount of miles will i earn for the itinerary and how can i ensure i book the correct booking class?

My itinerary is SIN-YYZ-YVR-SIN on JAL and I'm a MH Blue member
Old Jan 3, 20, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hashim17 View Post
Hi, I've a question on earning miles on mixed economy booking codes on partner airlines. When I make a itinerary, most of the time it will gives out different economy class booking codes. Some will earn 25% miles, some will earn 50% miles or some earn no miles at all. What amount of miles will I earn for the itinerary and how can I ensure I book the correct booking class?

My itinerary is SIN-YYZ-YVR-SIN on JAL and I'm a MH Blue member
Can be very difficult to determine the fare booking class before purchase. Depends a lot on the airline.
After making the reservation the fare booking codes can be on the ticket/PNR/email or airline web site. Or not.
Manage my booking in the Finnair and/or SriLankan airline web sites can show more.
https://www.srilankan.com/en_uk/au

I assume YYZ-YVR is not on JAL, as not in the wikipedia listing. Nor are JL flight from YYZ
Probably a codeshare or native flight another airline. Maybe Westjet (not a Oneworld airline). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WestJet
Earnings on codeshares can be harder to determine. Or earn nothing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_destinations

Great Circle Mapper
https://www.wheretocredit.com/japan-airlines
Old Jan 4, 20, 12:10 am

Thanks for the reply. One question though, say one leg (SIN-YYZ) booking class earn 50% of the miles whereas the return leg (YVR-SIN) only earn 25% of the miles, how will the total miles be counted for the entire itinerary ? Will it be 50% + 25%, 50% only or 25% only?

YYZ-YVR is on an award ticket on Westjet, redeemed using Delta SkyMiles
Old Jan 4, 20, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

50% and 25%. Is counted for each flight number. Look at great circle mapper
As JAL does not fly to/from YYZ how are you getting there?
Or is it SIN-YVR-YYZ-YVR-SIN ?
If JAL are you going via Japan? NRT/HND?
Possible Great Circle Mapper
Old Jan 4, 20, 1:40 am

From what i can see from the booking page,

1st leg - SIN-HND/NRT-ORD(most common)/NYC/DFW-YYZ (paying)
2nd leg - YYZ-YVR (redeem miles)
3rd leg - YVR-HND/NRT-SIN (paying)

Since JAL does not fly Toronto, the US-CA portion is either from ORD/NYC to YYZ on AA / AC
Old Nov 5, 21, 4:46 am
Suspended

Joined This Thread

Subscribed to this thread Information Desk. Looking for more valuable info and tips
Old Nov 30, 21, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Typing

I wonder if some kind person can help? Just lately, I assume I must be doing something wrong or something must’ve changed because when typing, say on a new paragraph, my cursor changes to typing the initial letter in lowercase, instead of starting the sentence with a capital.
Old Jan 9, 22, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
deleted

Last edited by cajunguy; Jan 13, 22 at 8:46 am
Old Jan 13, 22, 12:38 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
So, I have no clue where to ask this...

I'm trying to comment on the Alaska Airlines article on the main page of the website. My planned post is as follows:
My main objection to things like this is...well, frankly, in at least some cases passengers paid for a ticket that had "X" included (whatever X happens to be...alcoholic beverages, an in-flight meal, etc.) and now it's not there. If you've got a direct/non-stop flight this can be worked around to a large extent, but if you've got a bad connection (not exactly implausible in a lot of cases) then the loss of the meal (and thus potentially having to spring for an airport-price meal) can easily be a hit of $15-30.

So even stipulating that this is "actually" for health/safety reasons (versus being a staffing/supply chain issue), the "right" answer would be for AS to offer pax some form of a voucher/reimbursement (potentially in the form of a credit with a "long tail" expiration) up to a given value for grabbing a meal at either their departure or connecting airport. Bluntly, if they can't/won't provide on-board meals for these longer flights, they can at *least* deal with it and comp folks a trip to the airport McDonald's.
This isn't about the content in the post per se, but I'm being told that there's apparently one or more words that "aren't allowed". I am utterly at a loss for the "objectionable" word(s) in there, and the site isn't giving me so much as a clue so I can work around the problem.
Old Jan 13, 22, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson View Post
So, I have no clue where to ask this...

I'm trying to comment on the Alaska Airlines article on the main page of the website. My planned post is as follows:
<snip>
This isn't about the content in the post per se, but I'm being told that there's apparently one or more words that "aren't allowed". I am utterly at a loss for the "objectionable" word(s) in there, and the site isn't giving me so much as a clue so I can work around the problem.
Look and post in the AS forum. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...eage-plan-442/
Old May 9, 22, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
It's an artifact of the Infinite Scroll feature that the admins turned on awhile back. I generally like Infinte Scroll but agree that trying to access a Wiki with Infinite Scroll is annoying. You can disable it by following the instructions in the Wiki or the first post here: Infinite / Automatic Scroll: issues, q&a, disable on desktop version
Very, very late to this, but thank you. I’ve been away from FlyerTalk for a few years and this “feature” has been driving me nuts since I came back. After a few days I tried searching for why it was doing this, and your post came up. So again, many many thanks.

Search this Thread