Reload this Page >

NYC to San Juan Puerto Rico in May

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:50 pm

I take back my suggestion of Southwest, their schedule to SJU and back is awful out of the NYC area airports.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 4:31 am

Jet blue is great. Why waste all the miles for $300 and a couple hour flight.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by JEStarr
I'm torn. I can get an American Airlines flight for 40,000 Avios in Business Class. The flight would be borderline worth using my miles since I'd be getting 2 cents per mile of value.

I understand I'm not getting the best redemption, but it would still save me $300 out of pocket.

I'm surprised that there is not better low level awards to PR. Delta has them in their own category separate from US awards.

Any further thoughts?
If you are getting Business Class tickets, then the savings might be higher than $300. I just did a dummy booking for the dates and its $827.

Last edited by arollins; Oct 15, 2013 at 4:55 am
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Now the question is: With the current BA Avios Amex 20% bonus, does it make sense to Book American Airlines via Avios of 34,000 for a business class flight?

I'd be flying on either the 738 or 757.

Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2013, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by JEStarr
Now the question is: With the current BA Avios Amex 20% bonus, does it make sense to Book American Airlines via Avios of 34,000 for a business class flight?

I'd be flying on either the 738 or 757.

Thanks!
The actual flight time is only about 3-3.5 hours so, if it were me, I wouldn't redeem for what is effectively domestic First.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by infamousdx
The actual flight time is only about 3-3.5 hours so, if it were me, I wouldn't redeem for what is effectively domestic First.
I would second this. I've taken this flight out of ORD numerous times. However, I prefer the 757 over the 738. Try to get a coach award if there is a substantial difference between business and coach.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
JetBlue has a number of directs from JFK. Like others have said, it's a short flight and wasting resources on "First Class" is pointless. Domestic first class is only marginally better than JetBlue's economy product.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by arollins
If you are getting Business Class tickets, then the savings might be higher than $300. I just did a dummy booking for the dates and its $827.
There are some folks that dont consider the actual cost of a Biz tkt which they would never have purchased for $$s as the means to figure out their cpm. So it would be back to 40k to save $300 and not $827, the $827 would come into play if a person wanted anything but coach and was wiling to pay $$ for the tkt. This is especially true for our OP who was looking for a Saver coach tkt and not a Biz tkt
Old Oct 25, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
If you have a Delta CC, you could '"pay with miles" for a cheap ticket. You wouldn't be maxilmizing the value of those points, but it's not like they're very valuable or flexible in the first place.

Or, you could open up a jetblue amex. The 20k bonus should get you there, and the min spend is only 1K.

PR is great. I went for the first time in May two years ago. (Used Delta's Pay With Miles option when the fares dropped to $250.)
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

British airways avois is the way to go. book on anerican. flatbed seats in business (pick your 757s carefully) and a distance based award chart costs less than a region based one for this trip. so your jfk-sju costs the same as a jfk-sfo on ba vs aa, US, dl and ua charging you more
Old Nov 10, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"so your jfk-sju costs the same as a jfk-sfo on ba"

Nope: JFK-SJU costs fewer Avios than JFK-SFO. JFK-SJU is less than 2,000 flown miles; JFK-SFO is more.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cascade
Domestic first class is only marginally better than JetBlue's economy product.
I can't agree more. Although I am US Gold, I fly to San Juan every quarter, and just got back. It is so enjoyable to fly JetBlue. And their flights are so cheap. Every bit of their experience is outstanding. Except for not getting free drinks, the experience was as good or better that domestic F.

Advice: cough up the extra $30 for "more" or whatever they call it. Both directions I got the entire exit row to myself, boarded sooner, and, most importantly, got through security WAY faster. Puerto Rico security check was a joke on Saturday, and no urgency to move it faster, Had to be an hour for most people.

Last edited by Cooper21; Nov 14, 2013 at 8:51 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I also recommend the JetBlue option. Your points will be better spent elsewhere with as cheap as tickets go for to PR during the summer.

I'd use JetBlue all the time for to/from PR if I could, it's just my options from the West Coast are limited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.