Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Advice: Going to Europe on Multiple airlines - which Mileage program to choose?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Hello Flyertalk(ers). Is that a thing?

I have searched the forums and found similar discussions but was hoping for specific advice. I'm taking a last minute trip to Germany in the next couple weeks and found some (decent) deals. I think I'm going to fly on a combination of Air France and KLM airlines. Here is the dilemma.

I have somewhere around 20,000 miles on Alaska Airlines and anticipate getting a lot more this year for a few trips back and forth from work (the company pays) which will most likely give me "elite" status. My question is this:

Should I do the parter miles thing and earn more Alaska points on those flights or should I pick one of those and sign up for their loyalty program.

A couple factors:

- I live in LA if that makes a difference for the miles program.

- I do plan on making Europe trips about once a year for the next couple years (but will take whichever airline is cheaper).

- I will go back and forth to Alaska a lot this year and always on Alaska (the company will pay for it) but its unlikely I will ever go back after this job is over. Are these miles on Alaska "worth" stock piling. They seem to have the worst first class on all planes and would like to be able to eventually do business or super economy to Europe (based on my judgement of walking by on my way to the back).

Thoughts/advice?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: SQ
Alaska is a good program, even if it's limited. If your goal is business class to Europe, Alaska miles are quite valuable. Theyve got access to way more Air France and KLM availability than Delta does......
Old Jul 27, 2013, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards sticking with Alaska Airlines mile plan unless someone has a reason for me not to. Another thing I should mention in terms of my "goal".

I am not so much looking for the best service upgrades (food and a good TV and whatnot)I am looking for the most room. I get a bit claustrophobic on planes which sucks because I love to travel. I have noticed that I have much less anxiety when there is more room when I travel first class or super whatever its called or exit rows not feeling so "trapped". So although the first class perks are nice, its not that much nicer for me then a seat near the exit row that gives me more "breathing" room - Not sure that makes a difference in peoples advice but my goal is space.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:10 pm

One big downside is that Alaska Airlines has no premium economy (Economy+/Economy Comfort/Main Cabin Extra in UA/DL/AA respectively). Alaskan doesn't have these seats. You will get exit row seating on both Alaska and most partners, but there are fewer seats available than premium economy types.

Other downsides of Alaska are no mix-and-matching partners on one award. And there are not that many options to earn miles through CC bonuses/spending.

It is good if you fly a mix of AA/DL, and fly a lot to/from northwest US.

If you can reach mid-tier elite, UA or AA would probably be a bit more rewarding.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
If you're going to be flying from LA to Europe annually for the next few years and taking different airlines, you may as well join the AA and UA mileage programs even if you concentrate most of your mileage on Alaskan.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.