Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Advice: BA or EK LHR to SYD?

Old Jul 22, 13, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Hi, I'm planning a wedding anniversary trip to Sydney in October 2013 and have a choice of BA (silver card holder with 312,000 points and 241 voucher) and EK (Gold card holder with 197,000 points).

Tried booking Avios redemption flights, with/without voucher and upgrading using avios, but nothing available.

Don't think I have enough Skywards points to upgrade both of us, but the tier points from this would push me into Platinum status.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Paul
Old Jul 22, 13, 6:58 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Nobs&dials View Post
Hi, I'm planning a wedding anniversary trip to Sydney in October 2013 and have a choice of BA (silver card holder with 312,000 points and 241 voucher) and EK (Gold card holder with 197,000 points).

Tried booking Avios redemption flights, with/without voucher and upgrading using avios, but nothing available.

Don't think I have enough Skywards points to upgrade both of us, but the tier points from this would push me into Platinum status.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Paul
Have you looked at CX via HKG, MH via KUL and JL via NRT. You may want to search for each sector individually, like LHR-KUL and KUL-SYD in order to get the best idea of availability. Take a look at flights via european cities too such as FRA-HKG, CDG-HKG, AMS-KUL etc.

Also look at the "direct" QF flight that goes through DXB. Might also be worth searching for LHR-DXB on BA and then DXB-Australia on QF.

^
Old Jul 22, 13, 10:52 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
As you have a 241 voucher, I think you should try and use it rather than let it run out.
Old Jul 24, 13, 9:18 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
To book LHR-SYD in CW/F on BA you need a lot of luck and look very far in advance.
Availability may appear a few days before the flight, but personally I wouldn't want to risk it.

Search all OW partners (BA, CX, MH, QF) if you want to do it as a pure redemption.

Last edited by nux; Jul 24, 13 at 9:27 am
Old Jul 24, 13, 11:11 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
If you could find another 8,000 Avios (and some availability!) you could use your 2-4-1 to Hong Kong (120,000 Avios in CW) and then redeem on CX for HKG - SYD (200,000 for 2 in CW).

Search this Thread