Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for a points program between Western Canada and France

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Advice for a points program between Western Canada and France

Hi everyone,

My family and I will be doing a lot of travel with our relatives spanning in Lyon France and Vancouver Canada. We have aeroplan and British airway points but I am wondering if there would be a better points program to be on for collecting points through purchases and flights and to minimize fuel surcharges between these two countries. We will be residing in Vancouver.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: Several dozen
Boo to BA and AC and AF for their fuel surcharges. Cross the border to escape taxes with a US carrier?

Originally Posted by hdizzles
Hi everyone,

My family and I will be doing a lot of travel with our relatives spanning in Lyon France and Vancouver Canada. We have aeroplan and British airway points but I am wondering if there would be a better points program to be on for collecting points through purchases and flights and to minimize fuel surcharges between these two countries. We will be residing in Vancouver.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Do you fly to/from PAR, or another French airport?

AA miles can be used with no surcharges, as long as you avoid BA and IB. Possible one-stop routings to PAR would include: YVR-DFW-CDG (on AA); YVR-JFK-CDG (on CX/AA); and YVR-LAX-CDG (on AS/TN, although I'm not sure whether this routing is bookable as a single award).
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Do you fly to/from PAR, or another French airport?

AA miles can be used with no surcharges, as long as you avoid BA and IB. Possible one-stop routings to PAR would include: YVR-DFW-CDG (on AA); YVR-JFK-CDG (on CX/AA); and YVR-LAX-CDG (on AS/TN, although I'm not sure whether this routing is bookable as a single award).
I think those are good options, I think AA has the best "bargain" as I can probably fly to PAR. The problem is more about long term - where should I put my points. With AA, I could use BA Avios but they are distance based and could be 90k for a RT. would it make sense to switch and start earning points with AA's program? We are definitely at some disadvantage in Canada
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

You don't want to use Avios for TATL flights on AA metal: you'll be hit with very high surcharges. But for your paid flights on BA, you can credit the flights to AA's program, rather than to BA's program.

Also note that both AB and IB fly from LAX and JFK to Germany and Spain, respectively. They might fly to a French airport that is closer to your ultimate destination. It would mean a second connection (and a modest surcharge for flying IB), but it might be worth it to you.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG, Marriott, Hilton, Alaska
What about the Alaska airlines program for redemptions?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: Anything that gives nice sign up bonuses
Use AA points out of BLI. You can fly AS to Seattle and then continue from SEA to CDG (or LYS) on AA + TGV
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Doable. Alaska can be used for Delta and AA flights. And Alaska miles can be obtained using magic card tricks. But to do this one needs the ability to open a US bank account.

Originally Posted by zussino
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue, IHG Gold
If you go AA and get a few miles in the pot you can do the YVR - JFK cathay pacific F sometimes
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:29 am
Original Poster

What is a magic card trick. I'm really interested in Alaska as they seem to be a good benefit. Especially signing up for the Visa card.

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Doable. Alaska can be used for Delta and AA flights. And Alaska miles can be obtained using magic card tricks. But to do this one needs the ability to open a US bank account.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zussino

Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
OP: what do you intend to do with your miles? Aspirational travel to exotic places, rebates for your regular YVR-PAR/LYS trips, or upgrades on YVR-PAR?

Also: what's "a lot of travel"? More than 25,000 miles a year?

The answer to your question kind of depends on what you want to do and your travel patterns. For instance, BA Avios (and status on BA) would be really, really good if you wanted to upgrade your TATL flights (assuming you flew YVR-LHR-PAR/LYS). They aren't so good if you want to avoid fuel surcharges.

AS would be a good option because you can redeem on many different airlines. AA would be a good option as well.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
OP: what do you intend to do with your miles? Aspirational travel to exotic places, rebates for your regular YVR-PAR/LYS trips, or upgrades on YVR-PAR?

Also: what's "a lot of travel"? More than 25,000 miles a year?

The answer to your question kind of depends on what you want to do and your travel patterns. For instance, BA Avios (and status on BA) would be really, really good if you wanted to upgrade your TATL flights (assuming you flew YVR-LHR-PAR/LYS). They aren't so good if you want to avoid fuel surcharges.

AS would be a good option because you can redeem on many different airlines. AA would be a good option as well.
Thanks for this. I doubt I will be flying much but will at least have one flight TATL maybe 2 per year. Possibly little trips but I would say we would fly about 18-22k kms a year

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.