Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Advice: trip to Hawaii (Oahu) in two weeks from now

Advice: trip to Hawaii (Oahu) in two weeks from now

Old Jul 18, 13, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Smile Advice: trip to Hawaii (Oahu) in two weeks from now

Ive been searching all over the internet for good deals but summer fares are just not good to me so after a long search I bumped into an article online about redeeming points to get a cheaper flight...and then it led me to this lovely forum!

I've been on the search for affordable flights to Hawaii sometime in the first two weeks of August (I am limited as I start school on the 3rd week!!) I thought about opening the alaska airlines cc which gives you 25000 miles immediately after you use the card. But then I go to the alaska airlines website to look at prices/miles and it looks like 25000 won't even cover a one way ticket to Oahu the first two weeks of August! How do I get past this hump?? I need to go!!! But nothing is less than 650!! And all this miles talk is so confusing to me! I only have miles at UA (about 2000) and then some hotel points (Marriott, Starwood,etc) and then some thank you points from a citi credit card! Help!! I have no idea what I can do with these!

Thank you ahead of time for your response!!
Old Jul 18, 13, 8:47 am

It is way too late to think about building up miles for a trip you want to take in about 2 weeks.
Old Jul 18, 13, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Not even the alaska airlines credit card? Or is that just not enough miles? Thanks for the quick response anyway
Old Jul 18, 13, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Help! Student trying to afford a trip to Hawaii (Oahu) before school year begins!

Avios can take you for 25K rt from the west coast, but I Agree with the post above. There is Absolutely zero chance of getting points on time and availability will be unlikely, since its peak season.

Any other program will ask you for 40K plus close in reward fees, which will make it even more expensive than you think.
Old Jul 18, 13, 8:56 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Realistically, there is no possible way you're going to use miles for a trip to Hawaii in a fortnight. Since your only feasible option is to purchase a ticket, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread.

MileageAddict

Search this Thread