FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Advice: Chicago-London-Maldives (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1484904-advice-chicago-london-maldives.html)

Kylecb5431 Jul 14, 2013 9:19 pm

Advice: Chicago-London-Maldives

Hi Guys!

I need some help scheduling this complicated (in my mind) flight itinerary. I am advanced in maximizing my spending to accumulate points, but have never used them for such an extravagant flight.

Dec. 2014 (I Plan Ahead!)

1. Chicago to London, Stay for 3-5 days
-Can I use an open jaw here, and still leave from the same airport in London? Or does it have to be a different airport?
-If so maybe we can do something like Paris and London by Chunnel

2. London to Male Stay for 10+ Days
-I would like to take Turkish airlines and doing a layover in Istanbul for 1 day with no hotel. (arrive in AM leave in PM)

3. Male to Chicago
-If possible take a airline and route that will allow us to fly a A380.

Summary
-Chicago to Maldives
-Open Jaw in Europe (open to suggestions)
-Extended layover somewhere else in Europe that is good for a day (Open for suggestions)
-Return flight with A380 experience.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the complex award flight itinerary.

Points Summary
500,000+ Chase Points
200,000+ AMex points

Thanks,
Kyle

iceman77_7 Jul 14, 2013 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kylecb5431 (Post 21097377)
Hi Guys!

I need some help scheduling this complicated (in my mind) flight itinerary. I am advanced in maximizing my spending to accumulate points, but have never used them for such an extravagant flight.

Dec. 2014 (I Plan Ahead!)

1. Chicago to London, Stay for 3-5 days
-Can I use an open jaw here, and still leave from the same airport in London? Or does it have to be a different airport?
-If so maybe we can do something like Paris and London by Chunnel

2. London to Male Stay for 10+ Days
-I would like to take Turkish airlines and doing a layover in Istanbul for 1 day with no hotel. (arrive in AM leave in PM)

3. Male to Chicago
-If possible take a airline and route that will allow us to fly a A380.

Summary
-Chicago to Maldives
-Open Jaw in Europe (open to suggestions)
-Extended layover somewhere else in Europe that is good for a day (Open for suggestions)
-Return flight with A380 experience.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am new to the complex award flight itinerary.

Points Summary
500,000+ Chase Points
200,000+ AMex points

Thanks,
Kyle

Shouldn't be too hard with UA miles. Do you want to go in economy or business? Assuming you're not going over Christmas, it should be easy to get your flights, particularly in economy. The best bet for the return in the A380 would likely be SQ, which has good MLE-SIN availability. If you want premium cabin A380 though, you'll have to do China Southern for *A. Look at how things look for this December as a gauge for how things may look for 12/2014.

benzemalyonnais Jul 15, 2013 12:17 am

China Southern is my favorite *A airline. MLE-SIN-BKK-FRA-ORD should be ok and has the 380. Bkk Fra/Cdg are your best bets for that plane.

Kylecb5431 Jul 15, 2013 12:26 am

Thanks for the response.

I would like to do business class the whole way. Can I get away with 120,000 points for each?

trooper Jul 15, 2013 2:32 am

...but China Southern is a Skyteam airline... not *A...

:confused::confused:

DC777Fan Jul 15, 2013 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 21098130)
...but China Southern is a Skyteam airline... not *A...

:confused::confused:

I was gonna say....

What about MLE-SIN-BKK-FRA/CDG/LHR-ORD with the FRA-BKK/CDG/LHR (which by then should have the 380) portion on the Thai 380.

I'd try for:
ORD-LHR (UA F ... switch to LH F via FRA/MUC if it opens)
LHR-BKK (TG F) ... or LHR-FRA-BKK if LHR-BKK isn't open
BKK-SIN-MLE (TG or SQ C...whatever is most convenient)

return the same thing just without stopping in London if you don't have to.... could see if ANA F opens up on the return portion close to departure if you want to try something different