Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Information Desk
Reload this Page >

Advice: Planning for travel to Europe in Oct 2014

Advice: Planning for travel to Europe in Oct 2014

Old Jul 7, 13, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

I didn't think of flying out of TLH or PNS. That saves a 10 hour drive to a 2 hour drive. I am doing business flying this October with AA and partners. Can you tell me how many miles I get business class and gold for these legs? Where do I look it up?

STL ORD. AA
ORD LHR. AA
LHR BOM. BA
BOM NRT NH
HND GMP. JL
ICN TPE. OZ. Economy
TPE HKG CX. Economy
HKD ORD. CX

How long does it take to get the miles credit once you get the credit cards?
Old Jul 7, 13, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Try http://www.milecalc.com/ for calculating mileage earning.

For all of the credit cards talked about in this thread, miles earned post to your FF account 1-2 days after the statement posts, Chase cards may be after the following statement for spending late in the statement cycle.
Old Jul 8, 13, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Okay, I think I'm close but. If I move $100k of securities to my Fidelity acct, when can I expect the AA miles? Otherwise, how long until I get the miles on a bonus credit card?

The cruise line said round trip business class is $4000 per person and will only include the overseas leg. I think 100k miles per person is doable and a better value.

Mike
Old Jul 9, 13, 8:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
OP, as an aside, you said in your first post your home airport will be ECP. I don't know how loyal you are to AA, but that airport only has Delta and Southwest at this time. VPS and PNS both have AA (and US for after the merger) flights.
Old Jul 9, 13, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Yes, ECP is closest but VPS isn't too far. I'm now thinking that PNS or TLH might be better because they're nonstop to MIA. They're both about two and a half hours away.

If I can't get the miles in my acct in time, I might look at buying. Given the prices for business class travel, buying miles might be a decent deal.

Mike
Old Jul 10, 13, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
You have 300K Marriott points? Why not grab a package to boost yourself by quite a few AA miles, as well as having a hotel room?
Old Jul 10, 13, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks Eponymous, yet another god idea. To summarize options, they include

Use Marriott points and get 120k miles and a week. I think Cat6 might be good for the big Island, HI

Buy the points from AA

get another card or two

Deposit $100k in Fidelity.

Continue to wait for miles and credits to roll in.

Given I will plan on getting the tickets in November, how long do each of these schemes take? Also, how would Fidelity claw back miles if I clean it out?

Mike
Old Jul 13, 13, 12:24 am

If you are looking for award tickets for November, you are cutting it close. I usually start looking for availability 11 months ahead but airlines usually release more award seats if they are behind their anticipated sales target. Or maybe they just open a few award seats every few months.
Old Jul 13, 13, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rtraveler View Post
If you are looking for award tickets for November, you are cutting it close. I usually start looking for availability 11 months ahead but airlines usually release more award seats if they are behind their anticipated sales target. Or maybe they just open a few award seats every few months.
I'm flying October, 2014. The tickets won't be available for sale until November, 2013. Still some time.

Mike
Old Jul 16, 13, 2:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by Dbears View Post
I'm flying October, 2014. The tickets won't be available for sale until November, 2013. Still some time.

Mike
I wouldn't freak out if you don't have enough miles by exactly 330 days out. I just booked a trip to Japan for next April a week ago because we were on vacation at 330 and I didn't have the time to futz with searching award space at the exact moment. Instead of having a stopover in Istanbul on the outbound, we had to "settle" for a stop in Rome on the return. I'm okay with that.

If you have a hard time finding space, use Award Nexus to give you ideas for routings through city pairs and with airline partners you might not have considered.
Old Jul 18, 13, 8:40 am

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
We just took this trip aiming for Oneworld J for an identical cruise. Flew on AA award over MCO-MIA-LHR-BCN (last leg on BA). Like pulling teeth to get J award space though. F was easier (got 4), then as it got closer Y opened up. I only ever got 2 J ~ 250 days out.

On the way back we flew AB VCE-TXL (stayed overnight) - ORD-MCO. All in J. AB only ever released 2 J to AA (there were 4 empty seats when we boarded), but it was a J/F flight and it was their new J so it easily rivaled AA F.

You really need to keep your city pair options open. At 330 I started checking every route through MIA, JFK, ORD, etc... MIA-BCN did open at one point as well. Don't expect availability at 330 though. Flying in Oct may give you an edge at least. We flew peak June/July.

Availability on AA (and partners) can be had, but I bit the bullet and also subcribed to KVS which I checked every single day. I hate the lack of a notification feature like EF, but liked their access to AB unlike EF.
Old Jul 18, 13, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by TTnC4me View Post
Availability on AA (and partners) can be had, but I bit the bullet and also subcribed to KVS which I checked every single day. I hate the lack of a notification feature like EF, but liked their access to AB unlike EF.
No subscription to KVS necessary. Try either accessing the data directly via the BA/QF/JL award search (which is where KVS scrapes the data from) or a web-based alternative like AwardNexus.com which also offers a free version for FT members and paid automatic daily searches.

Search this Thread