Wiki Posts
Search

Destination: London from North America [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Best Business Class NYC-LON?

BA for sure, though I like UA's non-757 product. Just be sure your BA flight lands well before 13:00, when fastrack immigration closes at LHR T-5.

BA flat beds are great for sleeping, as are UAs. I would not even consider angled crap seats on this route.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by superflyer99
Heathrow's OW lounges are nice, especially if you are emerald and can access the concorde Room.
Concorde Room is only for those flying BA First, and CCR Card holders.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Tesco Blue, TK Elite (*G), Oyster Diamond Jubilee edition
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Since you're flying from NYC, I'm making the assumption that you will not need to connect through any airport--I wouldn't choose any airline that would require a connection, in fact. Thus, by segment, I mean each leg of your trip, so a roundtrip has two segments. You earn 140 tier points (BA's method of measuring progress to status levels) for each TATL CW segment, so after three segments, you'd have 420 TPs (with 300 required for Bronze) and after five segments, you'd have 700 (with 600 required for Silver)--so, by the middle of your third roundtrip, you'd be at mid-level status.
If you are flying CWLCY, you earn First class tier points (210). So you could be Silver when you arrive in LCY for the second time (i.e. after JFK-LCY-JFK and JFK-LCY).

You have First class cabin bonus for Avios on this route too, so you'd be making nice 10k Avios each LCY flight afterwards (20k return). Providing you have any use for Avios...
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by superflyer99
LCY doesn't have a lounge. Heathrow's OW lounges are nice, especially if you are emerald and can access the concorde Room.
While there is no lounge at LCY, there is an exclusive waiting area for CWLCY passengers which is sort of like a mini-lounge. The point of the LCY flight is to not waste time getting to the airport or waiting for your flight... a lounge wouldn't really make sense. OW emerald don't get CCR access unless flying in F; BA Gold need 5k TP in order to get a CCR card for access.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by haasha
If you are flying CWLCY, you earn First class tier points (210). So you could be Silver when you arrive in LCY for the second time (i.e. after JFK-LCY-JFK and JFK-LCY).

You have First class cabin bonus for Avios on this route too, so you'd be making nice 10k Avios each LCY flight afterwards (20k return). Providing you have any use for Avios...
Was unaware of this extra benefit of CWLCY, but for the OP's purpose, this could be a very good reason to take this flight instead of a regular CW flight.

And OP, since you have the Amex Plat, apply for the Global Entry pass if you haven't done so already. Well worth it even without the Amex reimbursement but definitely worth it given the $0 net cost through Amex.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:22 pm

Thanks. It looks like, on the transcon, my main options are BA or UA for the flat beds (or DL, but the whole point of this is that I'm looking to make a switch from DL).

I guess what I need to figure out is if it's worth going for status with BA. If I were to fly BA I was going to credit those flights to AA (which would still get me Gold (low level) status after 3 round trips).

My main goal is to redeem miles on premium cabin international long haul trips--e.g., JFK-YVR-HKG in CX F. My understanding is that for virtually all redemptions (other than short trips), AA is a better choice than than Avios. (I do have a decent stash of Avios because I have the Chase BA card.) So I think despite the ease of getting status with BA, I'd credit the trips to AA instead.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Plat (but not for long)
Originally Posted by crimson12
but I'm not too keen on keeping DL status...)

I'll also have a handful (2-4) trips JFK-SFO in the next six months as well (also biz) which should help with status.
Just out of curiosity why are you not keen on keeping your DL status? I have been PM or DM on DL for years and have been very satisfied.

They have a great lie-flat product, good service and food (superior to the other US airlines IMO) and will be adding that service to the JFK-SFO route very soon.

By this time next year they will have a spanking new terminal at JFK, as well.

With the flights you are planning you would earn over 93,000 MQMs. If you have an amex reserve card you could easlily make Diamond status or have a generous rollover for the next year.

Also, don't forget the upcoming ATI with Virgin.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boraxo
BA for sure, though I like UA's non-757 product. Just be sure your BA flight lands well before 13:00, when fastrack immigration closes at LHR T-5.

BA flat beds are great for sleeping, as are UAs. I would not even consider angled crap seats on this route.
The problem with UA is I think they are down to 1 EWR-LHR with the 777, the rest are the 752s. So the OP will be limiting themselves to flying that 1 flight. At least with BA they will have several flights from JFK or EWR to chose from

I havent flown the BA 319 to LCY but I would assume it kills UAs 752s

Although VSs ClubHouse kills BAs lounges , I didnt care for VSs UC and as the OP said that would mean continuing with DL. I think BA/AA is the way to go when dealing with London. Now which program would yield the best results that the OP should credit the flights to, I will have to leave that to others to proclaim.

For very short hauls Avios beats AA hands down , many tkts out of NY are 9000-15000 r/t while its 20-25 using AA miles. If the OP wont be doing that then thats 1 thing eg Ive been using 15k of BA to fly AA NYC,EWR or PHL to the MIA area for 15k, last min tkts dont have any fees.This is for Saver tkts on non-stops (stops cost the same as AA) so no in close tkt fees
Old Dec 30, 2012, 5:54 pm

I am actually a fan of Delta's product and service. And their benefits at the 75k (PM) level are great. But using their miles as become more and more of a hassle. I had (between me and my wife) some 500k DL miles and it is hard trying to redeem them the way I want (25k domestic economy r/t, or international F). Even international J is difficult. And with the rumored changes to the program, I didn't want to be stuck with lots of miles I couldn't redeem (or that I could only redeem at a poor value) So my goal for 2012 was to hit PM (which I did), and then use the ability to change award tickets for free to make "speculative" award bookings as I try to spend down the high balance of DL miles between now and this time next year.

My sense is that AA, DL, and UA are fairly comparable on the TCONs. And BA is just so much more convenient on the TATL--especially going to LCY--that it seems very hard not to choose BA...
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:30 pm

Miles for trip to LHR with companion

Hi All,

I have already used miles I got from AA/Citi (applied for 1 personal card) offer from 2011. My wife has not got into miles game. So I am trying to find an offer which could get us enough miles for a round trip from ROC to LHR. I would not mind adding a destination such as DBX in the middle if possible. Not a must. I also do not care for a First class ticket.

Appreciate the help in advance

Thanks.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Departing from ROC, you're probably better off accumulating miles on Star Alliance carriers like UA and US.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:56 pm

Virgin Airlines is another option as well
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
For one stop flights your best best is probably UA through IAD. There is usually good IAD-LHR award availability, except in the peak summer. Accumulating miles on UA would give you some access to other *A carriers (such as AC going ROC-YYZ-LHR) but I'm not sure of the availability - suspect it is less.

You could get a United card through Chase along with one or two Chase Sapphire/Ink products where the points transfer to miles.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With LHR, beware the very high taxes.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by ctbarron
For one stop flights your best best is probably UA through IAD. There is usually good IAD-LHR award availability, except in the peak summer. Accumulating miles on UA would give you some access to other *A carriers (such as AC going ROC-YYZ-LHR) but I'm not sure of the availability - suspect it is less.

You could get a United card through Chase along with one or two Chase Sapphire/Ink products where the points transfer to miles.
Could you please let me know whats AC stands for?

Also I have Chase Freedom card which I have some miles. Is it possible to transfer miles from there too? Also does chase allow to change the United/Chase card to a regular card after 1 year? Also where could I find the best offer for Chase/United offer? Appreciate the help.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.