Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Destination: London from North America [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by crimson12
I realize I had not read your first post closely.

You want to go "next summer", which means you cannot take advantage of the off-peak awards (they run, for Europe from January 15 - February 28). On US, "low" availability in economy will run you 60k, and in business 100k. My US+SPG suggestion will cover the 60k, but if you want to go in business you'll need to think of something else. (You do have options: if you have a small/side business, you can get the US biz card for 25k miles, which gets you to 90k, and maybe some spending can push you up to 100k? The most aggressive, but quickest, thing to do, if you can swing it, is to apply for the US and SPG personal and biz cards, which should put you over 100k each.)

If you want to see more places than just LHR, then AA might be the way to go. For 90k miles (i.e., two credit cards apiece), you can book a 10,000 mile "Explorer" award in business class. Fly to LHR, hop around a few places in Europe, and fly back. If you keep it under 9000 miles of travel, the award costs only 80k AA miles. Of course if you want to do it in economy it's even cheaper, 40k. (Note that the Explorer award has its own quirky rules, like requiring you to fly two partner airlines OTHER than AA, but if you hop around Europe a bit this shouldn't be an issue.)
Getting a low-mileage Explorer award to work for a trip from PHL to Europe will be difficult, unless one is willing to pay the very high fuel surcharges that BA imposes on its PHL-LHR and LHR-PHL TATL flights. To avoid those flights, one would have to fly AA between PHL and ORD, MIA, or DFW, and that adds significant mileage to the award itinerary.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 2:17 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by tehzio
The US Air route may be the best bet. I do have 62k miles with US currently, but I was unable to get the Chairman offer due to a previous US card 5+ years ago (that they closed due to inactivity).

I'll look for additional US offers and finally tackle the SPG card.
No one mentioned it, so I'm assuming you can't transfer Ultimate Rewards points into US. Is that correct?
USAir may be the best out of PHL, but UA might also be a good choice. Both airlines are in *A, and miles earned on US can be credited to the UA program. I have found good low-level award availability from UA, using their European partners.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 7:35 am

I looked at redemption charts and saw that most flights to europe via business class were in the 100-125k range. When I went to book through the airline site just to confirm miles needed both United and US were showing 350k+ points.

Do all airlines have the same distinction for low/medium/high travel/reward times?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:22 am

I looked at redemption charts and saw that most flights to europe via business class were in the 100-125k range. When I went to book through the airline site just to confirm miles needed both United and US were showing 350k+ points.

Do all airlines have the same distinction for low/medium/high travel/reward times?
Use united.com to search for "saver" award levels. The US search engine doesn't really work (it will only show US Airways' flights), plus it is difficult to look for various dates. The United award search has an award calendar that makes it easy to find *A award availability (including partners like Lufthansa, if connecting is not a problem).

Whatever is found at the saver level should be bookable via both US and United. The number of miles required is determined by the award program, not the airline flown - but I believe that in this case both US and United would charge the same (60K for coach; 100K for business saver level awards).
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:48 am

What dates are you looking at, and are you flexible?

As noted, use United's website and calendar to search, and if possible use ExpertFlyer as well.

Edit: quick search shows nothing much in June but very good availability in July/August. Nothing on United itself, but very good on Air Canada and a few LH flights as well.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Zamboni Driver
Use united.com to search for "saver" award levels. The US search engine doesn't really work (it will only show US Airways' flights), plus it is difficult to look for various dates. The United award search has an award calendar that makes it easy to find *A award availability (including partners like Lufthansa, if connecting is not a problem).

Whatever is found at the saver level should be bookable via both US and United. The number of miles required is determined by the award program, not the airline flown - but I believe that in this case both US and United would charge the same (60K for coach; 100K for business saver level awards).
What dates are you looking at, and are you flexible?

As noted, use United's website and calendar to search, and if possible use ExpertFlyer as well.

Edit: quick search shows nothing much in June but very good availability in July/August. Nothing on United itself, but very good on Air Canada and a few LH flights as well.
Thank you both for the info.
We're pretty set on the back half of August. My gf is a teacher and that limits our overall traveling window.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:16 pm

Thank you both for the info.
We're pretty set on the back half of August. My gf is a teacher and that limits our overall traveling window.
How long of a trip?

For example, I see very good availability departing 8/18 and returning 8/25. The outbound TATL leg is on AC, and the return on UA. (You can also come back on AC as well if you prefer.) There are some legs available on LH but with their "old" business class, which is not lie-flat.

For a little more (112.5k) you can come back in United's First Class "Suite", too.

Sun., Aug. 18, 2013 | Philadelphia, PA (PHL) to London, England (LHR - Heathrow)

Depart:
3:39 p.m.
Sun., Aug. 18, 2013
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Arrive:
5:16 p.m.
Sun., Aug. 18, 2013
Montreal, QC Canada (YUL - Trudeau)
Flight Time:
1 hr 37 mn
Flight: US3490
Operated by US AIRWAYS EXPRESS-REPUBLIC AIRLINES.
Aircraft: Embraer ERJ-170
Fare Class: First (O)
Meal: None

Change Planes. Connect time in Montreal, QC Canada (YUL - Trudeau) is 2 hours 24 minutes.

Depart:
7:40 p.m.
Sun., Aug. 18, 2013
Montreal, QC Canada (YUL - Trudeau)
Arrive:
7:30 a.m. +1 Day
Mon., Aug. 19, 2013
London, England (LHR - Heathrow)
Flight Time:
6 hr 50 mn

Travel Time:
10 hr 51 mn
Flight: AC864
Operated by Air Canada.
Aircraft: Airbus A330-300
Fare Class: Business (I)
Meal: Meal
No Special Meal Offered.

Sun., Aug. 25, 2013 | London, England (LHR - Heathrow) to Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Depart:
7:55 a.m.
Sun., Aug. 25, 2013
London, England (LHR - Heathrow)
Arrive:
11:06 a.m.
Sun., Aug. 25, 2013
Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles)
Flight Time:
8 hr 11 mn
Flight: UA5
Aircraft: Boeing 757-200
Fare Class: United BusinessFirst (I)
Meal: Breakfast

Change Planes. Connect time in Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles) is 1 hour 20 minutes.

Depart:
12:26 p.m.
Sun., Aug. 25, 2013
Washington, DC (IAD - Dulles)
Arrive:
1:32 p.m.
Sun., Aug. 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA (PHL)
Flight Time:
1 hr 6 mn

Travel Time:
10 hr 37 mn
Flight: UA3333
Operated by TRANS STATES AIRLINES DBA UNITED EXPRESS.
Aircraft: Embraer RJ145
Fare Class: United Economy (X)
Meal: None
That's just one example, there are others, but they are all roughly similar.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:17 pm

By the way, I should have noted: this itinerary comes out to 100k miles and $300 in taxes/fees per person (as you probably know, flying into/out of LHR means you get hit with quite a few fees, even through UA/US, which are pretty good about not passing on fees on award bookings).
Old Nov 20, 2012, 3:28 pm

Best option for NYC- London travel (for work)?

I need to make a last minute trip to London for work. I can fly DL, BA, AA, or UA. Business class, r/t. This is for work; I have DL's SkyBonus and AA Business ExtrAA, if that changes the equation. (The trip is a revenue trip, but the 'double earning' may be relevant?)

I have Gold status with DL, but will hit Platinum regardless of this trip. My preference for DL is mainly to roll over MQMs. But my #1 goal was to hit Platinum, and I will, so I'm considering another airline here.

The trip is next week, so I assume there's no possible way I could "defer" the EQMs to count for 2013?

I know AA has some promos for travel to London through ExtrAA, but those trips have to be on AA metal, right?

Is BA business class just SO MUCH BETTER that I should go with it (and credit miles to AA) rather than earn more 'useful' MQMs with Delta?

It's so late in the year that I'm unlikely to get any useful EQMs out of this trip. The most I have (other than DL) is 7500 with UA, and I doubt that this will get me 17500 PEQMs with UA, right?

There are so many flights that timing isn't an issue.

My gut is to still go with DL, earn some rollover MQMs, and a nice side bonus of the SkyBonus points. Any reason not to do this?

Thanks for advice!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Only you can decide what is the better deal, EQMs wise.

BA J is far better than AA. Never have flown in a DL premium international cabin.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:32 pm

I realize you didn't mention this as an option but have you tried Virgin Atlantic? I used them for a couple NYC - LHR trips this year and enjoyed it. I usually stick to DL or UA, but decided to try something different.

- TT
Old Nov 20, 2012, 7:37 pm

How did Virgin compare to Delta?

So late in the year, I'm not going to be able to make a run at status on any other airline, and it seems like a shame to let those EQMs go to waste, which is the only reason I'd lean to Delta...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
AA biz extra plus double rdms right now make it a clear winner. The biz extra promo looks pretty good, I forget if its 2500 or 5000 extra BE miles for a paid business class trip.

I also recall a uk bonus on at the moment, not sure if that's AA (additionally to the biz extra)

https://www.businessextraa.com/i18n/...USLHRBONUS.jsp

http://thepointsguy.com/2012/09/amer...remium-travel/

http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...&_locale=en_US

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/doubl...-thank-you.jsp

That right there is a slam dunk!

Last edited by brooklynmatt; Nov 21, 2012 at 9:12 am
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:22 am

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
How did Virgin compare to Delta?

So late in the year, I'm not going to be able to make a run at status on any other airline, and it seems like a shame to let those EQMs go to waste, which is the only reason I'd lean to Delta...
Virgin is nice, but their program sucks- high YQ like BA making future redemption very poor value, but they do txf into Hilton points at 1:2
Old Nov 21, 2012, 9:32 am

Might take a second look at UA. They're running a promo until 31 January, offering extra miles for round trips to London. 15,0000 for the first, 35,000 for the second, and 50,000 for the third.

Don't think they offer anything extra for a business class booking in terms of that bonus, but you'd be able to rack up roughly 29,000 miles on a single r/t flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.