Reload this Page >

Delta DL vs. United UA [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta DL vs. United UA [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
I have flown over 5 million miles on DL and a million on UA. Service and food on Delta is much better than United. However, I have basically stopped flying Delta in favor of United because United miles can actually be redeemed at low award rates and Delta basically charges at least double sometimes triple for the same trips. For me that means all the miles logged on Delta are worth much less than on United, and international upgrades are possible on United from lower fares, on Delta over the years I never used the upgrade certificates because it was cheaper to find a discounted Business class fare.
Old May 20, 2013, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by dh01
I have flown over 5 million miles on DL and a million on UA. Service and food on Delta is much better than United. However, I have basically stopped flying Delta in favor of United because United miles can actually be redeemed at low award rates and Delta basically charges at least double sometimes triple for the same trips. For me that means all the miles logged on Delta are worth much less than on United, and international upgrades are possible on United from lower fares, on Delta over the years I never used the upgrade certificates because it was cheaper to find a discounted Business class fare.
Same here. Although Delta has better in-flight + iirops service, the lack of being able to redeem miles for vacations isn't too gnarly.
Old May 20, 2013, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat4Life 3.9mm, UA, BA, Intergalactic Spacelines
Originally Posted by dh01
i have flown over 5 million miles on dl and a million on ua. Service and food on delta is much better than united. However, i have basically stopped flying delta in favor of united because united miles can actually be redeemed at low award rates and delta basically charges at least double sometimes triple for the same trips. For me that means all the miles logged on delta are worth much less than on united, and international upgrades are possible on united from lower fares, on delta over the years i never used the upgrade certificates because it was cheaper to find a discounted business class fare.
they don't call them sky pesos for nothing.
Old May 20, 2013, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Recommend AA

Originally Posted by mr_rogers
if you want the most valuable swus, go with AA to get international flight upgrades
Originally Posted by Kacee
Um, that would require reaching EXP, which seems a bit of stretch given what our OP has told us.
A bit surprised that this is the only discussion of AA on this thread. True, it's unclear whether the OP travels enough to get to the 100K AA miles or points per year necessary for Executive Platinum (EXP) status. But regardless, AA is more in DL's league in terms of better service, helping passengers out during weather/mechanical problems, a functional IT system and domestic upgrade opportunities compared to UA, plus NYC is an AA hub and not really so for UA. And AA's FF program, like UA's, is far better than DL's. So I'd think AA would be the relative sweet spot for the OP.

Of course, AA could go downhill after the US merger, but that remains to be seen. And there's no guarantee that UA and DL won't go be going downhill also anyway.

OP, you might get further advice here if you're a bit more specific about your travel patterns (especially domestic) and about how many miles you fly per year.
Old May 20, 2013, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I think even if I lived in Atlanta or Salt Lake, I'd choose United over Delta for miles. Around here, we call Delta miles SkyPesos for a reason.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by dhuey
I think even if I lived in Atlanta or Salt Lake, I'd choose United over Delta for miles. Around here, we call Delta miles SkyPesos for a reason.
There's a reason that, despite continuing to "naturally" fly 60-75k miles/year, I have allowed my elite status to drop on all the majors since moving to ATL 3 years ago.

AA won't take me from ATL to anywhere on the east coast in a reasonable way.

UA is "better" than AA for coverage out of ATL but connecting isn't really "worth it" for flights to BOS (for example).

US is even "better" than UA for my NE coverage but I just can't stand US.... Ive been elite on them in 2 different decades and have always felt "dirty".

DL skypesos suck. I do like DL flight attendants better than any other airline. I like DL planes more than any other airline as well. Their IFE is the best among the majors. Nonstop from ATL is very pleasant.

WN/Airtran... I don't like paying for bags and seats on airtran... and I find WN fares are frequently higher than DL fares. And with the gold Amex my DL bags are free so that little bennie isn't an advantage for WN.

One's "airline of choice" is such a personal decision. It's impossible to make blanket statements regarding what is "best". I happen to be willing to pay for F when I want to fly F, which also changes the dynamic... there's little benefit that elite status below 1K/EXP/DM would offer that I'm not already receiving.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by emma dog
------------------------------------------------
One's "airline of choice" is such a personal decision. It's impossible to make blanket statements regarding what is "best".
------------------------------------------------
Very well said!

As far as Skymiles are concerned, I once booked 3 X 25 K US domestic round trip tickets to Orlando (Outbound non-stop, inbound 1-stop) using Skymiles. Certainly my most memorable redemption ever .
Old May 21, 2013, 7:59 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
As a DL elite and UA elite, for intl travel and upgrades, I can say go with UA.

DL M class fares are high for intl upgrades with SWUs.
UA you can get upgraded as long as it is a W+ fare.
That is like a K fare on DL (valid only for Domestic upgrades on DL SWUs).
On UA the SWUs can be used as RPUs valid on any domestic fare.
Also they are transferable.

If you try SIN on DL that may be OK at 120k for low via NRT, but for AF that counts as 2 awards - 1 to EU and 1 from EU to SIN = 220k in low Biz class.
So the deck is stacked against DL by DL
Rare low mileage awards
Partner availability difficult on AF and others, price more.
One way partner awards not available
SWUs very restrictive
Website useless

UA is better
Low mileage a-plenty
Partners a-plenty
One ways on partners
SWUs are transferable (either you can get 6 and use all 6 as a 1K with only 100k EQM, unlike DL 2+4 at 75 and 125k MQMs). Even if you do not get to 1K, you can ask friends to sponsor you for upgrades (not so on DL)
better website (hard to believe it was like DL website and based on same rules when in skyteam)
liberal routing rules
minor quirks like DL (I think due to skyteam genes)
e.g.
Saver C award available from KMG to PEK on CA, but saver economy from PEK to IAD on UA, the website will not let you add the two together as 1 saver biz award at 60k. Instead, it will charge you for the higher standard award at 150k.
The only way to get around is to book the Saver economy in a partner award and not on UA, e.g, CA or AC fro PEK to YVR or LAX and then lax to IAD on UA saver economy.
DL may charge you anything it likes, but in this instance, if low is available in all segments in biz and economy, it will price as a low biz (rare but true)

The best advice I saw above is if choosing to fly DL, credit to AS for status.
You can go JFK-HKG-SIN on Cathay, Emirates and use on AA and DL as well.
Hope that helps
Old May 21, 2013, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
United. Not even a contest.
Old May 22, 2013, 6:17 am

United by far. However, I was able to book a 100k Biz class on Delta for my summer 2013 travel. And I guess, if it was a simple RT without open jaws, stop over , and flexible dates for traveling, you can score the low level redemption on delta.
Old May 22, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: American, United, Alaska, IHG Gold, Amtrak
I just booked and 8 leg trip with miles all in premium class on UA to a destination only they serve /Micronesia/ website was easy to navigate and when I did have to call in to M. P. they were nice and helpful. Many of my friends that used to be Delta hard cores have moved on to other carriers. My UA experience has been great minus the old CO inflight service which I admit I miss.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 12:50 am

Advice: DL or UA Silver?

Hello all,
I have run some numbers on my flying plans for the next couple of years and noticed that I could have Silver status on Delta or United starting 1 Jan 2013 or 1 Jan 2014 respectively. Initially, I thought going with Delta would be best since I have been treated very well flying between RDU and FRA (I have been bumped to BuisnessElite on two returns). However, the introduction of MQDs has made me skeptical not to mention prevented me from gaining Gold the following year (partially through rollover). I am based out of RDU, make two transatlantic trips per year and several transcontinental trips. Are there any benefits which United Silver provides which Delta Silver lacks? Are there any major benefits to one over the other?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:25 am
Suspended

Go with aa
Old Jul 22, 2013, 1:33 am

Programs: SQ
Pick whatever has the better schedules. Silver is basically useless and those op ups were very very lucky
Old Jul 22, 2013, 5:38 am
Suspended

Neither will u get upgraded that often. Maybe once in a blue moon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.