FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Information Desk (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk-730/)
-   -   Is there a way to trade miles or points? [Consolidated] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/information-desk/1349854-there-way-trade-miles-points-consolidated.html)

pemarsh May 25, 2012 7:01 am

Is there a way to trade miles or points? [Consolidated]

I have many delta frequent flyer miles i don't need, and would love to switch them to united...is there a way to do this, or no?

Gamecock May 25, 2012 7:03 am

Originally Posted by pemarsh (Post 18640237)
I have many delta frequent flyer miles i don't need, and would love to switch them to united...is there a way to do this, or no?

There are ways to shuffle miles, but it triggers a MASSIVE devaluation.

snugglening May 25, 2012 7:04 am

points.com and there are fees.

BearX220 May 25, 2012 7:09 am

Methinks the very intent of loyalty programs may be lost here. :)

The intermediaries you have to go through to transfer miles extract so much value along the way, it's typically not worth it.

louie-m May 25, 2012 7:14 am

Or you could contribute to Flyertalk (ie post more) and when you get to 180 posts, you will be able to access Coupon Connection and maybe trade them in there.

lin821 May 25, 2012 7:52 am

Give Webflyer Mileage Converter a try.

jjmiller69 May 25, 2012 9:10 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 18640281)
Methinks the very intent of loyalty programs may be lost here. :)

The intermediaries you have to go through to transfer miles extract so much value along the way, it's typically not worth it.

There are trading programs,but you lose so much that the're worthless. The objet of a FF program is to create loyalty. Delta doesn't want to help UA and UA doesn't want to help Delta.

The only way is if you can find a carrier in the Delta alliance to use the miles on.

What you want is like buying from Target and returning it to Walmart. Sorry it doesn't work. :rolleyes:

redtop43 May 25, 2012 9:21 am

I echo Louie's comment. Trading in Coupon Connection is probably your best option. You have to have a minimum number of posts on FT to use it. Probably there is someone out there with United miles who wishes he had Delta miles.

One issue is that you will probably have to trade in the form of redeemed awards. You can't move your DL miles to his account and his UA miles to your account, without fees almost as much as the miles are worth. You basically have to have an award you want to redeem, and have the other party be in the same boat. If you have a Chase rewards account, they can transfer their Chase points to you, and you can hold them until you're ready to redeem, and in effect the other party has been able to transfer their Chase points to DL.

AlohaDaveKennedy May 25, 2012 9:23 am

Excuse me, but the famous case of Nordstom's taking back returned tires (they don't sell tires at Nordstrom's) proves that buying at one retailer and returning to another does work.:D

You just have to realize that the only three things certain in life are death, taxes and that internal controls degrade over time.:D

I see Tiny Tim (Geithner) over at the US Mint nodding his head and hear MarathonMan chuckling out loud.:D

Originally Posted by jjmiller69 (Post 18640906)
There are trading programs,but you lose so much that the're worthless. The objet of a FF program is to create loyalty. Delta doesn't want to help UA and UA doesn't want to help Delta.

The only way is if you can find a carrier in the Delta alliance to use the miles on.

What you want is like buying from Target and returning it to Walmart. Sorry it doesn't work. :rolleyes:

steventravel May 25, 2012 10:38 am

Tip

Thanks for this tip very valuable information.

Originally Posted by louie-m (Post 18640316)
Or you could contribute to Flyertalk (ie post more) and when you get to 180 posts, you will be able to access Coupon Connection and maybe trade them in there.

tru2logan May 25, 2012 10:54 am

Coupon connection would most definitely be your best bet, get posting!

onefasteuro May 25, 2012 2:52 pm

points.com is an alternative, though there are fees, I've used them to move like 4-5k miles from an unused account before... though it takes a while. and the site is pretty buggy.

lin821 May 26, 2012 4:28 am

Originally Posted by louie-m (Post 18640316)

According to our Community Director on May 25, 2011, OP doesn't need to make any more post just to gain access to CC because OP should have been grandfatered in:

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 16450251)
I've gotten some very thoughtful notes from those who have had access to Coupon Connection, and did not want to lose access with the new entry requirements. These are all people who had access by May 10 when Talkboard enacted the new requirements. I am very open to those. I do not want the FlyerTalk experience to change for those who were participating. But if you never had access, I am not granting waivers. Talkboard went thru a lengthy, careful consideration of the metrics to use for participation in Coupon Connection. I am honoring the limits they have imposed.

SanDiego1K
Community Director

For those who are not familiar with the discussion, please visit this legend discussion thread over Technical Issues Forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...ed-issues.html

cfuss Jul 9, 2012 9:29 am

Best way to trade points?

Is there a good page or blog that helps newbees wanting to trade points and miles?
Thanks?

rbarker33 Jul 9, 2012 9:33 am

I like points.com. It does not work with all programs, and it costs a little bit but has allowed me to transfer points out of programs I don't use and into points that I can take advantage of.