Reload this Page >

Is there a way to trade miles or points? [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Please read this wiki before posting questions or comments.
Overview

Virtually all award programs expressly prohibit the buying, selling and bartering of awards and other instruments through any means other than those they specifically endorse. Members should be aware of the risks involved. For example, American Airlines, has actively pursued violators, closing members' accounts, rescinding their miles and banning them from program participation.Legitimate Transfer Resources

There are a few program-approved ways of transferring or converting miles/points between programs, or even a possibility of offering or requesting lodging or transportation awards. Note that most of the approved methods incur an "exchange cost" that significantly reduces the net miles/points.
Examples
  • Webflyer Mileage Converter is a tool for finding possible points/miles conversions
  • Credit card points may be transferable to various hotel and airline programs, e.g. American Express Membersip Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
  • Some hotel program points can be transferred to various airlines, often at no cost and with a net gain in miles, e.g., Starwood Preferred Guest
  • Points.com is a miles/points conversion service
Most award programs permit members to redeem awards, upgrade certificates, etc., as gifts to family and friends, as long as such gifts are not conditioned on any kind of barter, payment or reciprocity. The airlines are known to sometimes question the account holder and/or award recipient to ensure proper compliance with the program's terms and conditions.

The Coupon Connection

FT hosts a limited-access forum where established, active members may exchange and/or offer limited unneeded travel-related items. Coupon Connection (CC) is NOT a marketplace, and the buying and selling of any items is strictly prohibited. This includes any transactions that attempt to circumvent the no-cash provision. Eligible members are able to see The Coupon Connection in the FlyerTalk Forums Index, listed in the "Community" category, when logged onto the site. Those who cannot see the CC forum are ineligible to participate. Minimum eligibility criteria include 180 days of FT membership and 180 contributive posts (non-substantive count-padding types of posts will be deleted at moderators' discretion; those who embark on "posting runs" for the purpose of increasing their post-counts will be barred from participation). Access to CC is a privilege, is not guaranteed, and is subject to revocation.

This is a member-maintained Wikipost.
Any FlyerTalker with at least 90 days of membership and 90 contributive posts may edit this wiki.
Print Wikipost

Is there a way to trade miles or points? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
You might give http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/ a try, but I doubt you have enough transferable miles to get anywhere close to your goal. Most airlines are dead-end programs.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What research on this have you done?

Anyway getting a first class award USA to Thailand will be hard. Have you flown international airlines in business class? A surprising number of USA people think first class is like AA/UA/DL domestic first in a old tired MD80, B757, B737, A320 or what ever

Effectively freq flyer miles can be moved from one ffp to another ffp. Some you can transfer on www.points.com, but the exchange rate is extremely bad (not worth doing)

AA offer one way awards. No idea if DL offer one way awards (and I am a member of DL's ffp)

Many threads on Chase Ultimate rewards: just have a look.

Starwood SPG allows you to transfer points to a range of airline ffp's. With Marriot & Starwood merging who know what will happen or be available in the future

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 26, 2016 at 2:54 pm
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucasmccamy6
So I have 94,000 delta sky miles, 102,000 marriot points, 39,000 aadvantage miles, and 41,000 chase ultimate rewards. Is there a way i can convert them into one account to redeem for a 250,000 mile thing? Im trying to fly first class from USA to Thailand. Any help?
No, nowhere close. You can convert 102,000 Marriott points to about 1/5 of that in a variety of miles programs, including I think both DL and AA. But that's not a very good use of Marriott points, given the 5:1 conversion ratio.

Meanwhile, Chase Ultimate Rewards transfer to United and Southwest, but not to Delta or AA. And again, while you can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards to a hotel program and then on to an airline, you again get only about 1/5 that way (and thus less than 10,000 miles).

So first I would start by set your sights on something lower than first class. Is business class not good enough? It'll need somewhat less miles, that's why I mention that.

Both DL and AA allow one-way redemptions. You may have enough at DL for one way in business, but that's hard to predict, since DL's program has so many different redemption levels. You could work at getting more miles in another program for the other direction. But I don't think you're anywhere close to having enough combinable miles to do even both directions in business class right now.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
No idea if DL offer one way awards (and I am a member of DL's ffp)
DL added one-way awards just a year or two ago IIRC.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:00 pm

Well crap. So u got any better suggestions?
Old Feb 25, 2016, 9:04 pm

Thanks for the help, yes business is fine, but it appears im sol on this one.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Yes DL added 1 way awards but I also think they charge a fee for foreign originating 1 way award flights so be wary of that and that with DL you cannot obtain a first class award ticket outside of the US.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
DL added one-way awards just a year or two ago IIRC.
Don't give up that easily. You can still use your hotel points for hotel stays.
Some credit card signup bonuses + your UR points might get you a J class award to BKK 1 way.

Thanks for the help, yes business is fine, but it appears im sol on this one.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
How to convert miles

Delta miles unfortunately can't be used for first class on anything, and that's the only one with any sizable balance.

I'd put some serious effort into some good sign up bonuses on credit cards to boost the AA balance. UA (Chase Ultimate Rewards) is pretty poor for First or even Business redemption on partner airlines.

Go business one way on DL miles in Skyteam and First the other (with a significant boost from sign up bonus) on OneWorld the other.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME DL business class availability to/from BKK (connecting through NRT) is pretty decent. It should be considered more of a business first product as seats are flat beds with all direct aisle access on international wide body aircraft. The DL lounges at NRT are also pretty good, although the AF lounge used at BKK for departures isn't much but it is close to the gate, which is a long walk from the check in area.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Mar 1, 2016 at 12:16 pm Reason: typos
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well crap. So u got any better suggestions?
Apply for an American Express card (that you've never had before) that earns either Delta miles or Membership Rewards points (which transfer 1:1 to Delta) that has a good signup bonus and increase your Delta miles. Of course that'll take at least a few months. (There are solutions, but there are no quick solutions, other than deciding to pay cash.) If that still doesn't get you quite enough, either just do more spend on that card, or apply for yet a different Amex card in that category and repeat. Just remember to go only for one which have historically good bonuses, since Amex has a once-in-a-lifetime bonus policy (in the USA on a per-card basis).

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 29, 2016 at 9:24 am
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My guess is that current low awards on DL USA-BKK one way cost about 80,000 miles in DeltaOne = international business class. The OP has enough miles for this but is far from having enough for a RT on DL in business class.

FF programs generally allow you to purchase some redeemable miles (some have annual limits on this) but the cost is generally more than the miles are worth. This is useful to top up an account for a particular available award ticket, but sometimes even though you're paying a lot per mile, it can be much cheaper than the purchase of a ticket.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:42 pm

Points.com

I seemed to have noticed that one of the airlines, think it is Jetblue, has Points.com integrated into its website for Jetblue members looking to purchase additional miles. Anyone noticed this?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:23 pm
formerly skyccord

Programs: United Premier Platinum, Hertz President Circle, Marriott/SPG Premier Plat Elite, Avis Preferred
Nothing like an old thread to give me the answer I need!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.