Reload this Page >

Is there a way to trade miles or points? [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aBroadAbroad
Please read this wiki before posting questions or comments.
Overview

Virtually all award programs expressly prohibit the buying, selling and bartering of awards and other instruments through any means other than those they specifically endorse. Members should be aware of the risks involved. For example, American Airlines, has actively pursued violators, closing members' accounts, rescinding their miles and banning them from program participation.Legitimate Transfer Resources

There are a few program-approved ways of transferring or converting miles/points between programs, or even a possibility of offering or requesting lodging or transportation awards. Note that most of the approved methods incur an "exchange cost" that significantly reduces the net miles/points.
Examples
  • Webflyer Mileage Converter is a tool for finding possible points/miles conversions
  • Credit card points may be transferable to various hotel and airline programs, e.g. American Express Membersip Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
  • Some hotel program points can be transferred to various airlines, often at no cost and with a net gain in miles, e.g., Starwood Preferred Guest
  • Points.com is a miles/points conversion service
Most award programs permit members to redeem awards, upgrade certificates, etc., as gifts to family and friends, as long as such gifts are not conditioned on any kind of barter, payment or reciprocity. The airlines are known to sometimes question the account holder and/or award recipient to ensure proper compliance with the program's terms and conditions.

The Coupon Connection

FT hosts a limited-access forum where established, active members may exchange and/or offer limited unneeded travel-related items. Coupon Connection (CC) is NOT a marketplace, and the buying and selling of any items is strictly prohibited. This includes any transactions that attempt to circumvent the no-cash provision. Eligible members are able to see The Coupon Connection in the FlyerTalk Forums Index, listed in the "Community" category, when logged onto the site. Those who cannot see the CC forum are ineligible to participate. Minimum eligibility criteria include 180 days of FT membership and 180 contributive posts (non-substantive count-padding types of posts will be deleted at moderators' discretion; those who embark on "posting runs" for the purpose of increasing their post-counts will be barred from participation). Access to CC is a privilege, is not guaranteed, and is subject to revocation.

This is a member-maintained Wikipost.
Any FlyerTalker with at least 90 days of membership and 90 contributive posts may edit this wiki.
Print Wikipost

Is there a way to trade miles or points? [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:19 pm

Wow... The conversion of 100k carlson to us air almost made me sick :-(

Guess those ill keep!
Old Jul 9, 2012, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by fusscharles
Wow... The conversion of 100k carlson to us air almost made me sick :-(

Guess those ill keep!
From time to time US air has had promos where you get 50% or more bonus miles when you convert hotel points to those miles. This is also an area where Webflyer is lacking...it doesn't show history or bonuses.

I personally don't think 100k to 18k airline miles is all that bad, considering how little those 100k CC points cost. If anything it illustrates that a point/mile is not created equally. Almost like Dollars vs Pesos. Don't get so caught up on the actual number of either, instead make sure you get the most $$ value out of those points.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 8:06 pm

A few comments about Points.com.

A lot of people don't understand, at first, that Points.com is the middleman. The trade opportunities are posted by other members. And, yes, a lot of them are horrid values, people hoping someone clueless will give up 10k of this for 1k or 2k that. But you do find good values from time to time. It's a waiting game.

The loyalty programs set the fees for trades and Points.com gets a cut [they *are* a business]. The typical trade fee to you is $10USD per 1k you give up. Some programs have other fee structures (DL trades cost $10/1k PLUS $30; Jetblue is $12.50 per 1k; etc.).

They also have exchanges where you move points/miles directly from one of your programs to another one. There's no fees, but the exchange rates are generally poor. Even so, sometimes the value proposition is worthwhile. I've exchanged Frontier for UA because I had no prospect of getting enough Frontier to redeem any time soon and needed the UA.

Not all programs will let you trade or exchange; some will only let you trade or exchange, but not both. And some, quite a few actually, don't allow either; for those programs Points.com is little more than a tracking site.

It's up to each person to decide if the value of using PoInts.com is worth it. Your personal valuation will be different from mine; some people will gladly pay a fee to consolidate their miles/points, others think it would be foolish. I won't pay $60 to, effectively, convert 6k Frontier to 2k DL; but I did pay $60 to convert 6k Aeroplan to 20k Alfursan because someone offered that trade.

As with all things subjective, YMMV.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 9:16 pm
Suspended

For all the thought you put into that post, it almost makes me wonder if you are affiliated with the website. I have to disagree with you on most of what you say, however.

There have been more than several times where I have found a decent play on points dot com only to have points dot com say that, "credit card has been declined..." This happened to me at least 5 to 10 times and there was never, ever, EVER anything wrong with my credit cards.

What was happening (the best hypothesis that I can come up with) is that someone was deciding whether or not the trade should be put through AFTER it was advertised and out there on the website for many a day, and then PAID FOR. I'm not sure how it all works, but I don't like it. It just smells bad, and in my opinion it is not worth attempting to trade on that website.

I'm not sure if there is a class-action law suit in there anywhere (declining credit cards selectively, and at will) but if there is - you will find me in line. And in my opinion it would have to be against points dot com because that is the merchant that gets paid.

Trust me, I've played the waiting game. And it stinks.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
For all the thought you put into that post, it almost makes me wonder if you are affiliated with the website.
Nope. Just someone whose experiences with and opinions of them are somewhat different from yours. I've made many successful trades using them. It's absolutely not for everyone. I do feel, however, a positive counterpoint to your negative one is necessary.

Also, it took me all of about three minutes to type it up. Not a lot of thought going into it, just my experience with them and perhaps a knack for writing clearly on the fly.

I have to disagree with you on most of what you say, however.
Fair enough, and totally within your rights.

There have been more than several times where I have found a decent play on points dot com only to have points dot com say that, "credit card has been declined..." This happened to me at least 5 to 10 times and there was never, ever, EVER anything wrong with my credit cards.

What was happening (the best hypothesis that I can come up with) is that someone was deciding whether or not the trade should be put through AFTER it was advertised and out there on the website for many a day, and then PAID FOR. I'm not sure how it all works, but I don't like it. It just smells bad, and in my opinion it is not worth attempting to trade on that website.
When that happens to me, I enter the card number *with the spaces*: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx. That has worked for me, every time. The key is how quickly the declined notice comes back. If it's instantly, try using spaces in the card number. If it takes several seconds or more, it's probably the bank declining the transaction for whatever reason.

The first time it happened to me I called my card CS line and had them watch in real time while I tried again. The authorization request never came through even though it showed as declined. I then tried it with the spaces, and it went through through in matter of seconds. Again, this was in real time.

You do not get charged for a trade offer you post until someone accepts it. They do not check with you before finalizing a trade you offered and someone accepts, this is why you give your card number when you first post your offer. If someone accepts it and your card doesn't have enough remaining on it for your share of the transaction fees, however, your bank might decline it, but then that's outside Points.com's scope...

You can, however, delete your trade offer if you so choose, as long as no one has accepted it yet. If you delete your offer it disappears immediately. There also appears to be a 3-month maximum time limit for a trade offer to be live before they pull it, I don't see anything older than about 3 months...
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Uh....no...it's not "the bank declining my card for whatever reason..."
as you imply. In fact I even stated that in my previous response - that there was no problem with the cards, ever. Nice try.

I pay my bills ahead of time, and always pay far more than the minimum amount. My credit scores are in the upper 700's and low 800's. My cards are never declined, ever (until points dot com). I used them the next day without any problems. It is that website. And I'm sure it happens to more people than just 'lil old me.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 2:33 am

Uh....no...it's not "the bank declining my card for whatever reason..."
as you imply. In fact I even stated that in my previous response - that there was no problem with the cards, ever. Nice try.

I pay my bills ahead of time, and always pay far more than the minimum amount. My credit scores are in the upper 700's and low 800's. My cards are never declined, ever (until points dot com). I used them the next day without any problems. It is that website. And I'm sure it happens to more people than just 'lil old me.
I didn't say "the bank declining [the] card for whatever reason." I said "the bank declining the transaction for whatever reason." Banks can decline transactions for whatever reason they deem...which is why I called mine when my card was "declined" the first time, to find out why they said no, and learned they hadn't even received the authorization request.

I also stated that when it does happen to me, I re-enter my card number with the spaces. Works every time.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:31 am
Suspended

Whoever heard of having to enter "spaces" in order to make an online purchase? Ridiculous. Sorry but I can't buy into that even if you are only trying to help. It would not say too much about the website, at any rate.

I am not familiar with the fact that "a bank can decline a transaction for whatever reason" since it never happens to me. It only happens to me on the p dot com website. And anyway it wasn't the bank, it was the points dot com website that was declining my transaction.

Immediately after p dot come declined the sale, stating "your card has been declined," I was able to buy online anywhere else with that same card.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Post This is NOT a Points.com thread...

Originally Posted by Archon1995
A lot of people don't understand, at first, that Points.com is the middleman. ...
For all the thought you put into that post, it almost makes me wonder if you are affiliated with the website. I have to disagree with you on most of what you say, however.
In case you guys fail to notice, there are quite a few threads about Points.com. You guys are more than welcome to continue and share your experiences/opinions in any of the designated Points.com threads, such as:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ed-thread.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-exchange.html

FWIW, OP is asking about options to consolidate and/or trade miles, which includes but is not limited to Points.com. For the life of me, I will NEVER consider Points.com "best way to trade points", as how OP had raised his original questions:

Originally Posted by cfuss
Is there a good page or blog that helps newbees wanting to trade points and miles?
Originally Posted by cfuss
.. im really looking for hotel to other hotel or airline...
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Credit card transactions are authorized in real time by a fully automated system. If the merchant (points.com) is unable to establish a data link to the authorization network the merchant's system may report that the card was "declined" but it would be more accurate to say "not authorized". Such failures are not unique to points.com, nor even to internet transactions. These are network problems, completely unrelated to the specifics of the transaction.

Points.com operates the infrastructure for many airline and hotel loyalty programs. The retail website is a tiny portion of their business. The ability to "trade" points with a stranger is merely an extension of the transfer feature built into many programs which allows you to transfer miles or points to a friend for a fee. There is a maximum amount you can transfer or receive. Unless one party has exceeded this maximum there is no reason points.com would cancel a transaction.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 6:24 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)

Trust me, I've played the waiting game. And it stinks.
This has happened to me and a few others
Once you use a card frequently on points.com, it freezes the card.
In 2009, we did a diasy chain of points transfers on US Dividend miles.
I am proud that I broke the story here on FT.

Since then my cards used in 2009 have never worked, but other cards with different numbers, which were sub accounts have been fine
I think it is a IT bug.
Calling points.com makes no difference

Originally Posted by Archon1995
Nope. ........
When that happens to me, I enter the card number *with the spaces*: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx. That has worked for me, every time. The key is how quickly the declined notice comes back. If it's instantly, try using spaces in the card number. If it takes several seconds or more, it's probably the bank declining the transaction for whatever reason.
The first time it happened to me I called my card CS line and had them watch in real time while I tried again. The authorization request never came through even though it showed as declined. I then tried it with the spaces, and it went through through in matter of seconds. Again, this was in real time.
Even if you are working for them this is the first report of a fix for the bug. Thanks
I have confirmed the problem several times with the CC issuer on the phone at the same time, no request was received.
So here is to hoping the bug is fixed and many more share mile promos.

Last edited by ffI; Jul 14, 2012 at 6:31 pm
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:27 pm

Thank you, I had not found those before. Perhaps I wasn't using the right search terms.

FWIW, OP is asking about options to consolidate and/or trade miles, which includes but is not limited to Points.com. For the life of me, I will NEVER consider Points.com "best way to trade points", as how OP had raised his original questions:
The "best way to trade points" is subjective, and heavily dependent on an individual's situation. Much as some people value hotel points higher than airline miles, and vice versa, based on their individual needs and desires. BillyBaloney offered his opinion on Points.com, I offered a countering opinion, he challenged my counter, I replied, and well, here we are. His opinions are entirely valid, so are mine, and both (hopefully) served to inform the OP so they can decide for themselves on whether to try it or not.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
Even if you are working for them this is the first report of a fix for the bug. Thanks
I have confirmed the problem several times with the CC issuer on the phone at the same time, no request was received.
So here is to hoping the bug is fixed and many more share mile promos.
I would classify it more as a workaround than a bug fix.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:44 pm

Points.com is an absolute ripoff. I hate to say it, but if your smart about it craigslist usually works well, at least in my experiences.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: Several dozen
You take your chances with Craigslist - Cardinal Fang may be patrolling Craigslist for heretics just as he patrolled eBay. Do believe ol' Fang was effective in destroying the eBay ticket mart.

Originally Posted by mattyb2233
Points.com is an absolute ripoff. I hate to say it, but if your smart about it craigslist usually works well, at least in my experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.