Reload this Page >

Thanks FTers [consolidated "thank you" thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanks FTers [consolidated "thank you" thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I describe this to my wife as a "hobby." Which is what it's become for me.

If I knew absolutely positively that the bonuses would not evaporate, I would very likely lighten up quite a bit. But I'm worried that I will wake up one morning and see they've all disappeared or been greatly diminished and I'll say "**** why wasn't I more aggressive?"

But yes, I am kind of counting the days until it's been a year since my wife cancelled her last Amex Plat card so that I can get her another one. Um, and that's not until January! S'alright, I got her Airtran and Southwest a couple of months ago. "I see... I see... a SPG Amex in your future."
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Investor 11
To pile on, FT has afforded me a whole new level of travel. Thanks to all who share their time and knowledge.
Same here. I'm 26. I haven't been around for long, but I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that at this age, and income bracket, (while still in school!) I could go on a 5-star trip to Europe...for free. Not only that, but with FT's guidance, I can probably swing this kind of trip year after year (if not multiple times per year)!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:53 am

Need Advice

Hi! I want to book a trip next month and am hoping to fly my family of 4 on award miles to Hawaii and stay for about a week on hotel points. Please help!!

Just kidding... I've been lurking here for about 9 months now and just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posts on these boards for their wisdom. After reading up on a number of threads and going through a few churns since then, we're actually going to Hawaii next week and staying for over a week... While I know my redemption uses weren't the absolute best out there, they're exactly what we needed!

Thanks again,
Josh
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Hi Josh:

Glad you aren't looking for 4 first class seats or this would be a real hard request. Aloha Air Cargo might actually have space available using the old Office Depot card trick.

First, you go over to Plastic Jungle and buy discounted Office Depot Gift Cards. Second, you go to Office Depot and buy Visa Gift Cards. Third, you go to the local UPS store and buy 4 large boxes and packing tape with the gift cards. Fourth, you pack up the other 3 members of the family and tape their boxes then get a friend to tape your box. Fifth, you get your friend to drop you off at Aloha Air.

You just have to remember to save the boxes for the cheap hotel rooms and return trip. Oh, and don't forget to make a few airholes...

Aloha!

Originally Posted by joshf81
Hi! I want to book a trip next month and am hoping to fly my family of 4 on award miles to Hawaii and stay for about a week on hotel points. Please help!!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
LOL! You were about to have the wrath of this board come down on you.

Congrats on your redemption, hope you have a blast!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:36 pm

Hi Josh,

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Family vacations are some of the best memories-maker and the week will fly by (literally) so enjoy every day. Looking forward to your trip report!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Josh,

Welcome to FT.

You got the trip that you wanted. Therefore it was a fantastic use of the miles / points.

Congratulations.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Best post/thread of the day! Very much like our family trip to Europe: we had some great redemption values and some iffy ones, but we got the trip we wanted and let the banks pay for it. Safe travels!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:27 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, HHonors Gold, UA Gold, PC Plat, Marriott Gold
HA! good one! and welcome!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:16 pm

LOL! You had me there for a minute.
Old May 1, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL Gold, SPG PLT
😂👏 happy travels!
Old May 1, 2013, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by joshf81
-------- we're actually going to Hawaii next week and staying for over a week... While I know my redemption uses weren't the absolute best out there, they're exactly what we needed!

Thanks again,
Josh
At the end of the day, that is all that really matters. RESPECT - oh and enjoy!
Old May 2, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Josh the value is in the eyes of the buyer. If you got what you needed and paid a fair price that's great. Enjoy Hawaii I know we always have. Hope you have time to go to a couple of Islands. Some of the nicest landscape is on Kaui and Maui but they're all great. The volcano on the Big Island and moonscape lands has true beauty also.
Old May 23, 2013, 9:11 pm

This is probably nothing for many, but...

I take my wife and kids somewhere each year for Thanksgiving week. We make enough to get by and set a little aside but, outside visiting Barbados where the lovely Mrs. KennyB is from every 2 or 3 years, could rarely afford 4 tickets to anywhere. We had about 40,000 points earned over the years, mostly on AA.

Our November 2012 trip was to the Grand Canyon and on to San Diego, driving as always. We had a great time, but during a little downtime we had there, I started looking at ways to expand our travels. I discovered a few blogs and a huge confusing site called Flyertalk, and read for about 5 days straight. By the middle of December Mrs. KennyB had 2 AA cards, and I followed as soon as we met her spending. I asked a couple of dumb questions, figured out a little bit of manufactured spending and about 6 months later...

Today we hit our millionth point! Thanks a million to everyone here!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 7:47 pm

2013: a very very good year

The Mrs did an impromptu pair of apps this morning brought on by the CSP 55K offer, and I got to looking at our miles, points and cashback spreadsheet. With 2 of us applying, we have opened 34 cards over the past 12 months for about 1.6 million bonus miles and points. Moderate MS and promotions increase that to just under 2 million, and we've earned more cashback than we've paid in CC and MS fees. Current total value of miles, points and cashback rewards redeemed during 2013: ~$15,000 based on the lowest cost comparable coach ticket or best hotel room sale price at the time of booking. Miles and points left to redeem: 1 million plus 125K in bonuses not yet posted.

I know many here have earned far more, that's even better. The point is, despite all the sky-is-falling talk, devaluations and limited seat availability, 2013 was an amazing year for collecting miles and points. It saw the end of the Citi AA 2 browser trick but gave us 2 1/2 months of ability to get 50K per month (or more) instead. It gave us debit gift cards with PINs, and the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...pend-higc.html, along with lots of free points via Chase Gift Cards. Amazon Payments' planned funeral was called off. Citi and Wells Fargo gave us unlimited 5% back cards. 50K offers continue to abound. My CVS never ran out of VRs, and neither did most others. Oh, and I'm taking my family to Europe next week for $250, a trip that I could never afford to do without this game.

So I think, just maybe, we have something to celebrate. Anybody?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.