Reload this Page >

Airline choice to India?

Airline choice to India?

Old Aug 13, 09, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Airline choice to India?

I need to travel to Hyderabad and Mumbai for two weeks and am trying to pick a preferred airline (PIT-HYD-BOM-PIT).

I don't think I've slept more than 15 minutes on a plane in my life, despite dozens of US transcon red-eyes, multiple overnight flights to/from Hawaii, Europe, etc. Even the non-completely flat, 160 degree recline beds on USAir Envoy weren't sleepable for me. I think my best/only hope is completely horizontal, completely 180 degree flat beds. From my searches, Qatar, AC's 333, BA 777, Delta's 772LR and certain UA 747 and 763's are my options.

With that as an almost must-have, other considerations are:

- Star Alliance miles are preferable
- A380 would be interesting
- layover city is relatively open - JFK, ATL, FRA, LHR, CDG, AMS - I'm comfortable transiting all of them. I'd prefer to avoid a BOM/DEL/in-county connection on my way over

At first glance, AC/BA via YYZ and LHR look like my best option, then UA/LH through FRA.

The Indian natives that I work with have warned me away from AI, though they say Kingfisher is great option for the domestic leg (1 hr flight - I'm not too worried on this one).

Any comments/suggestions/data I'm missing?
Old Aug 13, 09, 2:53 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
Here's the scene broadly put.

I suppose you don't have too many international connections to/from HYD, so your best option would be LH into HYD. Kingfisher (IT) or Jet (9W) are great airlines for the domestic segment, and for 90 minutes, I don't think you'll mind a low cost carrier, should it come to that.

However, if you're open to PIT-XXX-BOM-HYD-return, then your options increase dramatically. AF, KLM, BA, CO, LH, what have you!

If your entry has to be HYD, then LH is the best, plus its Star Alliance. Unfortunately, no A380 services into India at the moment (there are plans housed in castles in the air...). You wouldn't need to have an in-country layover.

And oh yes, avoid AI if you can. Full carrier price, below-LCC service.
Old Aug 14, 09, 3:15 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
AI does have brand new 777s on the India - US run (though not direct to HYD) and those are quite good. There's also Jet Airways from EWR but that's to BOM.

However, LH/UA is your best bet - at least 6 hours less trip duration than other airlines.
Old Aug 17, 09, 1:26 pm

Programs: 9W Plat, Flying Blue Elite, HHonors Gold, Accor Le Club Plat
This may help a bit, if it isn't too late...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajiv_G...#International

Search this Thread