Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Weekend between Delhi and Mumbai - where to go?

Old Aug 1, 09, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver

Hi,

I will be spending 3 weeks in India this month (2 in Delhi, 1 in Mumbai). I have already determined that during the weekend in Delhi I will do a day tour of the Taj Mahal and a separate day tour of the city.

My question is what to do on the other weekend? I already have to travel between Delhi and Mumbai, so I of course do not mind a flight. I am considering some sort of safari - is this possible? Is there anywhere specific that someone could recommend? How about just a resort? Luxury hotels/destinations are preferred, but I can't justify something that is like $1000/night - maybe 1/3 of that cost.

I am also considering traveling outside of the country, possibly to Singapore or Bangkok, but the flights are terrible in terms of time on the outbound. Are there any locations with decent flights (i.e., outbound in the early evening)? The only major city that I've found with such flights was Dubai.

Thanks for any help that you could give!

Last edited by troyb; Aug 1, 09 at 4:55 pm
Old Aug 3, 09, 7:44 am

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
The other weekend - you could do the standard desert tour - rajasthan (jaipur / udaipur etc) .. but going there in the rainy season, and/or the fag end of summer doesnt make sense at all

You could try SIN / DXB / BKK / KUL of course - or also try KTM. Early evening wont make too much of a difference given the time zone it's already night time in anywhere like SIN/KUL/BKK you fly to, if you catch a midmorning flight and arrive there late evening their time. So catch a flight that's like 10 PM or so, arrive early in the morning in SIN, fly back for a late evening or mid morning arrival in DEL. Poke around kayak.co.in or ixigo.com for cheap fares del - somewhere else - del.
Old Aug 3, 09, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6 MM, AC, DL (MM) & Lifetime SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton Diamond;too many others;
Try weekend in Kerala backwaters on houseboat

I think the monsoon season may have passed in Kerala in August and so you can try a relaxing weekend on a houseboat in the Kerala backwaters. For more information on houseboats look up this page from IndiaMike which has additional information on India.

The nearest airport is Kochi (COK) pervious known as Cochin. You can also stay at one of the many waterfront resorts in and around Kumarakom or at the Taj Malabar or the Brunton Boatyard resort in Kochi.
Old Aug 3, 09, 9:14 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Kumarakom is a fairly long drive from Kochi. You'd be better off booking into a resort hotel / spa in Kochi itself. Dont take the Hilton - its out in the middle of nowhere, in the Kochi port area (in fact its almost inside the docks.. I guess as good a place as any for ships officers to stay). Various others that you can try - and if you go to Kochi, I wouldnt recommend staying at the Grand Hotel downtown (old, a bit threadbare but clean, basic 3 star) but do eat at its restaurant, which is famous for its food.

Originally Posted by ROW2Aisle View Post
I think the monsoon season may have passed in Kerala in August and so you can try a relaxing weekend on a houseboat in the Kerala backwaters. For more information on houseboats look up this page from IndiaMike which has additional information on India.

The nearest airport is Kochi (COK) pervious known as Cochin. You can also stay at one of the many waterfront resorts in and around Kumarakom or at the Taj Malabar or the Brunton Boatyard resort in Kochi.

Search this Thread