FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   1st visit to Mumbai 'What to do' (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/967468-1st-visit-mumbai-what-do.html)

Meneer Guggenheimer Jun 22, 2009 1:00 pm

1st visit to Mumbai 'What to do'

I am of to Mumbai in July for work for 2 days. I arrive on saturday end of the day and have to be 'working' from monday evening.

What to do those 2 days. I have travelled all over the world as a filmmaker but I have never been to india.

I wanted to go to Agra but I understand it is not possible to fly to agra anymore. Is it worth to go via Jaipur or Delhi to Agra?

Or should I enjoy Mumbai.

Also I need 2 nights hotel in Mumbai. I do not care about fancy hotels but I need clean sheets and warm water in the morning. That is all.

Appreciate any help!

Jamoldo Jun 22, 2009 7:27 pm

I am by no means a veteran, though I go to Mumbai for work a few times a year.

If you have never been to India and have the money, stay in a nice hotel. Believe me. You might even get some discounts. Look around (I'm saying this even though I'm of Indian descent and have gone to India many times before to visit family for months at a time).

Mumbai? First I would look at wikitravel for some ideas. There are some great walks, particularly in South Mumbai in and around Colaba (though it will be hot). Walking in and around Chor Bazaar can take a whole day (or years).

Take the slum tour on Sunday. http://www.realitytoursandtravel.com/ while it was no big deal to me, my two (non-Indian) friends thought it was incredible and eye-opening.

And of course at night, eat at Bade Meya, behind the Taj Palace hotel. Everyone knows about it and it is so good.

That should be a start. Hope this helps.

Jamoldo Jun 23, 2009 2:25 am

double posted.. meant to "edit"

cardesigner2000 Jun 23, 2009 4:33 am

First of all forget about going to Agra if you arrive late Saturday and need to work on Monday. Best bet is just to stay in Mumbai since it's your first time in India. The street scenes alone should be enough to keep you occupied. South Mumbai around Colaba and Fort has the Gateway of India and other tourist attractions. I also enjoyed Chor Bazaar if you like street markets. It will be monsoon season, so you'll certainly get wet outside.

For 2 nights in Mumbai there is the brand new Novotel on Juhu Beach going for only 36EUR about $48 a night if you book before June 29 for dates between July 10th- Sept 30th(http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...le-60-off.html

Be aware that Juhu Beach is in the suburbs near the airport and better suited if you need to be in Bandra-Kurla or Andheri suburbs. Getting to Central Mumbai will take over an hour.

FFLASV Jul 2, 2009 8:17 pm

I worked in Mumbai for two years and my favorite weekend activity was to walk around the Kanheri Caves in the far north of Mumbai in Sanjay Gandhi Park. The caves are an ancient Buddhist religious area and interesting to see, but I also enjoyed the large number of wild monkeys that live around the area.

FedUp2 Jul 2, 2009 9:07 pm

Groetjes - I can only second the good advice you have received here. India will be a shock and staying at a decent hotel helps in absorbing that shock somewhat better.

You effectively have only one day - Sunday - to spend. Try to stay in the Colaba area and walk around some of the sights, if it is not pouring with rain. If it is, seek refuge in Leopolds (a coffee house/bar on Colaba) or simply install yourself at the lobby of the Taj Mahal Hotel, which is a great place to people watch.

Avoid eating spicy food (regardless of how much you love it) and follow the usual precautions about drinking water / eating icecream or salads for the first 48 hours and you will be OK.

aniruddh77 Jul 6, 2009 12:13 pm

All depends on where you're staying in BOM. Irrespective of the location of your hotel, you'll find enough options to stay engaged and amused ! If you can let us know which hotel you'll be in, I could suggest some options, but definitely, no Taj Mahal (Agra). In any case, you should visit South Bombay (Fort, as its called) and Nariman point, in addition to the shoreline near the Taj mahal hotel. Also, the worli seaface...

Meneer Guggenheimer Jul 8, 2009 8:28 am

Originally Posted by aniruddh77 (Post 12020467)
All depends on where you're staying in BOM. Irrespective of the location of your hotel, you'll find enough options to stay engaged and amused ! If you can let us know which hotel you'll be in, I could suggest some options, but definitely, no Taj Mahal (Agra). In any case, you should visit South Bombay (Fort, as its called) and Nariman point, in addition to the shoreline near the Taj mahal hotel. Also, the worli seaface...

I am staying in the seaprincess hotel near the airport. (That was pre booked by the company I am working for.

I have sunday afternoon and mondayish and I have to be in town (I know it is a very BIG town)

Also for diner meetings what are the restaurant where local Mumbai people eat? I eat anything as long as it does not move,

thanks for all the replies,

(any taxi driver I can call and use the days I am in town?)

hserus Jul 8, 2009 8:57 pm

Near the airpot - not much there. You'd have to go about an hour or so to reach most interesting stuff .. in traffic.

Get +91 22 4422 4422 (Meru Cabs) - aircon late model saloons as radio cabs, they're not bad at all. You got enough suggestions for "what the local people eat" upthread.

aniruddh77 Jul 9, 2009 1:20 am

Originally Posted by Meneer Guggenheimer (Post 12031368)
I am staying in the seaprincess hotel near the airport. (That was pre booked by the company I am working for.

I have sunday afternoon and mondayish and I have to be in town (I know it is a very BIG town)

Also for diner meetings what are the restaurant where local Mumbai people eat? I eat anything as long as it does not move,

thanks for all the replies,

(any taxi driver I can call and use the days I am in town?)

To add on to the other advice you've received, you should try out the following (basis, location and distance from airport):

a. ITC Grand Marhatta Sheraton (?) - very close to the international airport (not too far from the domestic airport, either). Don't miss their bar, and the Indian & Lebanese restaurants. ^^^

b. Toto's Garage Pub - small, very crowded, hugely popular (used to be all these, but you may want to google and check if its still open, and if yes, definitely visit) ^^ if open

c. Olive restaurant, Bandra (very close to Toto's - see above)^

d. Yoko's restaurant (great place for sizzlers, usually packed and overflowing!). ^^^:cool:

I'm a regular visitor to Mumbai and the above are based on my experience in the past (haven't been to some of these places in the last 6 months), but you may be better off checking with a Mumbai local