Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, QP Life, LT Gold, AA, DL
Proposed transit in DEL. Advice please?

This is the situation:

I am an Australian passport holder.

I have a booked RTW in F for Sept 09.

I will have NO checked luggage.

As part of the ticket I have booked a NRT-DEL-NRT with JL. I plan to do this as a turnaround; i.e. leave on the same aircraft that I arrived on. The turnaround time is 2 hours for this flight. (It arrives at 5.30pm and leaves at 7.30pm.) This part of the trip is simply a mileage run.

I would like to just be in transit in DEL. I know that there is a transit desk, but I am not technically transiting to a 3rd country, just going back to NRT where I came from.

Ideally I would get a transit visa, but this will not be possible, as I will be gone from Aust for >2weeks before I arrive in DEL. I plan to get a tourist visa instead, so that 1) JL will let me board at NRT and 2) If I do have to go landside, I will be able to do so.

I will have to contact JL to see if they can help, but I would appreciate any advice from those on this forum.

So my questions are:

1) Has anyone ever done this type of transit, or do they know if it is possible?

2) If I do have to enter India and then leave again, given the new airport and the fact that I'm travelling in F, is this do-able at that time of the day in 2 hours?

3) Does anyone have any other comments?

4) Am I insane for even contemplating this type of transit in DEL?

Many thanks in advance.

Medicus
Old Feb 12, 2009, 7:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
I posted this in another thread. pardon any breach of etiquette.

India Transit Visa is available

Suggest reading the whole thread: AA DEL/Delhi Milage Run?

HTH. I'd like go to Delhi sometime, perhaps from ORD, but intend to stay a few days and thus need a tourist visa.

PS: don't drink the water unless it's from a bottle that you yourself opened! take my word on it (from personal experience), you do not want "Delhi belly"
Old Feb 13, 2009, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the link. I had read that post but was wondering if there is anyone who has actually [U]done[U] a turnaround in DEL as a MR? Especially with only 2 hours. The OP in the link doesn't seem to have gone through with the MR turnaround.

I assume that the airport is better now than the 'bad old days' and that the early evening is a relatively quiet time to arrive. But perhaps not...
Old Feb 21, 2009, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by medicus
Thanks for the link. I had read that post but was wondering if there is anyone who has actually [U]done[U] a turnaround in DEL as a MR? Especially with only 2 hours. The OP in the link doesn't seem to have gone through with the MR turnaround.

I assume that the airport is better now than the 'bad old days' and that the early evening is a relatively quiet time to arrive. But perhaps not...
HI,
I go to Delhi often, I can't imagine doing the turnaround in 2 hours at IG international airport. The immigrations and customs will take you 1.5 hours if a whole jumbo lands, and then reentering and clearing secirity could take another hour. If you are in transit, you may not need to go out and return. I have never been in transit in Delhi.
Sudha
Old Feb 21, 2009, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the update and advice.

I will follow up the transit option.

Medicus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.