Search

"International" connection at BOM to AI's domestic service from non-AI airlines

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ - Gold; HHonors - Silver
"International" connection at BOM to AI's domestic service from non-AI airlines

Hi,

My folks will be transiting Mumbai arriving on the CO non-stop from EWR and transferring to the AI flight at 3:30am to MAA. Since the AI flight departs from the int'l terminal and there's a baggage agreement between CO and AI, can my folks stay airside completely for the connection and then retrieve bags and clear immigration/customs in Chennai? I know that coming in on an AI flight into BOM from overseas that this is never a problem, but they're trying it on CO and I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with it. Seems doable to me. FYI, the connect time is around 6 hours, so time isn't the problem, but they'd like to avoid retrieving bags in Mumbai.

Thanks,
B
Old Aug 8, 2008, 7:38 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
I think BOM is about the only indian airport you can do this airside.

But even if you clear immigration at BOM there's ample time to make the AI flight. Retrieving bags - you just recheck them right in I think, there should be AI agents or an AI counter in the baggage claim area.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ - Gold; HHonors - Silver
Hi all,

I just realized that I forgot to post how this actually worked!

So, in the end it was NOT possible to have bags put directly on the AI flight to MAA. Bags were claimed in BOM and then you walk outside about 20 meters or so to another entrance. Go upstairs and check the bags back in. It seems that there was also no airside connection between the CO arrival gate and the AI departure gate (at least none that could be seen), so even if you have no bags to check, you'll still have to clear immigration/customs in BOM.

All in all, the experience was fairly painless. No bus/taxis from the int'l to domestic terminal, which is nice. However, because they came in on CO, they definitely couldn't just do a simple connection like you can when arriving on an AI flight from abroad.

For those that don't want to reclaim and recheck bags, you either need to transit overseas or fly on AI into and out of BOM.

B
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:53 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by global_b
Hi all,

I just realized that I forgot to post how this actually worked!

So, in the end it was NOT possible to have bags put directly on the AI flight to MAA. Bags were claimed in BOM and then you walk outside about 20 meters or so to another entrance. Go upstairs and check the bags back in. It seems that there was also no airside connection between the CO arrival gate and the AI departure gate (at least none that could be seen), so even if you have no bags to check, you'll still have to clear immigration/customs in BOM.

All in all, the experience was fairly painless. No bus/taxis from the int'l to domestic terminal, which is nice. However, because they came in on CO, they definitely couldn't just do a simple connection like you can when arriving on an AI flight from abroad.

For those that don't want to reclaim and recheck bags, you either need to transit overseas or fly on AI into and out of BOM.

B
Thank you so much for this feedback. I have the exact itinerary coming up EWR-BOM in CO, BOM-MAA in AI. And I had the same questions of checking luggage thro to MAA, clearing customs, etc. Now, I know the answers! an FT search came out useful here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.