Cell Phone for Chennai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cell Phone for Chennai

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Marriott Platinum,Delta Gold Medallion
Cell Phone for Chennai

Will the questions never end? I have Verizon Wireless - and looked online and they have $10/day for Intl for everywhere - except India?????

So now what? Leaving tomorrow evening - so any great ideas for me for India? I use phone for Email (I guess I c an skip that) and to talk on business conf calls or back with family

Thoughts?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i use t-mobile & get free data pretty much anywhere in the world....i also get free wifi outgoing calling & incoming calls are cheap when on international roaming....not sure if you can grab a t-mobile sim for just the time you are here but that might be worth exploring....

the alternative is to get a local sim here....they are pretty easy to get at the airport....data & calling is extremely cheap when compared to rates in the us....pick up either a jio or airtel sim....

jio is running a scheme where you have free incoming & outgoing calls, free sms & 1gb data per day till the 31st of march....i believe the sim itself will cost around inr 200 to buy & activate....after that its all free....there have been some reports that foreigners have not been able to get a jio sim because an aadhar card is required to activate the connection which only people living in india can have....you could always ask a friend or your client to get one for you to use while you are here....

the alternative would be airtel....you can get that at the airport & all you need is your passport & picture....the rates are pretty low & you will probably end up paying less than inr 1k for the full month for all your calls, data & sms....
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Starwood Platinum Preferred, Marriott Platinum,Delta Gold Medallion
great info again TY!! I got a plan from Verizon but I think if I call my sister who has AT&T the call will cost her money So free for me to call but costs US people money? Does that make sense I may be misunderstanding. She has a US number as well.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Sweetpea 2005
great info again TY!! I got a plan from Verizon but I think if I call my sister who has AT&T the call will cost her money So free for me to call but costs US people money? Does that make sense I may be misunderstanding. She has a US number as well.
that doesn't make sense....i think you may need to clarify that with verizon again....

calling the us is pretty cheap with an indian number....i believe the rates are around 10 cents a minute so once again it may be better for you to get an indian sim....
Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Feb 18, 2017, 2:05 pm

Unless employer is forcing you to use Verizon, it does not make sense to not use TMobile anymore. Much cheaper, good coverage (yes - much improved) and free international data and text. Works beautifully (with fast internet in most Indian metro cities for free)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.