Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Bringing alcohol into India?

Bringing alcohol into India?

Old Nov 30, 2006, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by anaggie
I got married in India and had to take liqour from here. My dad, mom , brother and took 2 bags each with 4 bottles inside...

total 8 bottles a person x 4 = 32 bottles

did not get stopped or evn asked in BOM ... even if I did, I did have a couple thousand ruppees with me to grease my way thru....

You cannot get good tequlia in India and forget getting triple sec --- cannot make a margarita the right way !!!!
Breaking the customs rules to and complaining about corruption has a certain oddity.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Any changes to this allowance? 1 per person right?
Old Apr 27, 2009, 2:20 am

Programs: BA
I bring in 2 bottles of wine or spirits whenever I come back to India...I thought that was the allowance? Never had any problems with this either.

Incidentally, the customs baggage x-ray post-immigration is rather hit-and-miss. After 26/11 they made it mandatory (again?) but by Christmas last year it was back to normal (probably beause of queues). I think my bags have been x-rayed by customs once in about 9 trips. And that one time was April 07.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by riteshraja
Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by riteshraja
Originally Posted by expatboy
I bring in 2 bottles of wine or spirits whenever I come back to India...I thought that was the allowance? Never had any problems with this either.

Incidentally, the customs baggage x-ray post-immigration is rather hit-and-miss. After 26/11 they made it mandatory (again?) but by Christmas last year it was back to normal (probably beause of queues). I think my bags have been x-rayed by customs once in about 9 trips. And that one time was April 07.
The allowance used to be one litre and is generally the case in most countries. I was surprised to see someone mention in another thread that the allowance is two one litre bottles. I suspected that they might have made the statement based on there experience that they were able to take two bottles without being caught rather than their personal knowledge of the rules. When I checked, the duty free allowance for liquor/wine is, indeed, two litres.

Last edited by Yaatri; Apr 27, 2009 at 8:19 pm
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:45 pm
Original Member

Location: UA UGS 1K; US Chairman: AA Platinum: Marriott Platinum Premier; *wood Gold
I have never brought alcohol into India, but in my experience the post immigration x-rays are up and working. I have flow into India, twice to Chennai and once to Mumbai in the last 7 weeks and my bags were x-rayed each time.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FFLASV
I have never brought alcohol into India, but in my experience the post immigration x-rays are up and working. I have flow into India, twice to Chennai and once to Mumbai in the last 7 weeks and my bags were x-rayed each time.
My bags have been x-rayed just past the immigration onece, or maybe twice. The last 8 or nine times, I have not been bothered.
Old May 9, 2009, 1:45 am

Talking

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Strange that the indian security is still desparate to take away batteries (this came up after lockerbie in the late 80s) but our TSA friends have somehow missed that trend...
they dont like loose AA batteries in south asia...but they always miss the powerful ones if your laptop and cellphone... and they will snag your lighter, so dont travel with your zippo...

the worst is going to sri lanka with loose batteries...they will hold you passport till you land in colombo...
Old May 16, 2009, 5:15 am

From the Offical Customs wesite

Following quantities of Alcoholic drinks and Tobacco products may be included for import within the duty free allowances admissible to various categories of incoming passengers :

- Alcoholic liquors or Wines upto 2 litres
Old Jan 12, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: Starwood, AA
does anyone know how much is duty on additional alcohol over the (1 or 2) bottles being brought into india for personal consumption? Someone above said 400%, but on what price? I also found the Customs website that states 150%, but clearly only refers to good for retail sale. there's no mention of personal use. does anyone have any experience bringing a case of wine/liquor and declaring it?
friend is getting married and we are all trying to help out with the alcohol situation.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by lerasp
does anyone know how much is duty on additional alcohol over the (1 or 2) bottles being brought into india for personal consumption? Someone above said 400%, but on what price? I also found the Customs website that states 150%, but clearly only refers to good for retail sale. there's no mention of personal use. does anyone have any experience bringing a case of wine/liquor and declaring it?
friend is getting married and we are all trying to help out with the alcohol situation.
i believe they having a pricing booklet that they refer to when calculating the duty....the prices are pretty much what you would pay for the item in india....
Old Jan 13, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
yikes! really? it seems very punitive to charge duty on a price that ALREADY includes same duty plus retail margin. but then again, this is india. i guess there's no concept like in US where duty is charged on actual volume of alcohol, regardless on the retail price of the bottle at hand?
i guess that puts kibosh on trying to liven up the party a little.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 1:14 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
AFAIK you get all the so called 'imported' stuff at any decent retail outlet in India. I would not bother to schlepp the booze from outside the country and expose myself to the potential harassment from customs@:-)
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:59 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by oliver2002
AFAIK you get all the so called 'imported' stuff at any decent retail outlet in India. I would not bother to schlepp the booze from outside the country and expose myself to the potential harassment from customs@:-)
+1..
and if u want some specific premium stuff from abroad, 2 litres of the same should suffice I hope
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by lerasp
yikes! really? it seems very punitive to charge duty on a price that ALREADY includes same duty plus retail margin. but then again, this is india. i guess there's no concept like in US where duty is charged on actual volume of alcohol, regardless on the retail price of the bottle at hand?
i guess that puts kibosh on trying to liven up the party a little.
i don't think you understood what i meant....let me try to explain it again....

lets suppose you buy something worth inr 100 at duty free....

lets suppose the allowable allowance amount is inr 80....

lets suppose the price for that same product outside is inr 120....

based on the above prices the duty on that product is 20%....

since your allowance is inr 80 & the item costs inr 120 outside duty free, the difference is inr 40....so you will be charged 20% of inr 40 which comes out to inr 8....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.