Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How safe is India for Americans?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:28 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by SuiJuris
Also, big points to the other posters in this thread for responding seriously to someone with a signature like that. Hopefully, I'm just missing the joke, but with the additional context of the posts on this thread, I doubt it . . .
My God, I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out just now. For a second there I thought I might have been going overboard, but now I think I could have gone farther.

Originally Posted by anaggie
I praise the OP for being un-american and actually travelling to a place so different culturally....most of my friends refuse to travel outside TEXAS much less leave the US....
Well, I'm an American and always have been, so I don't think being American makes one insular and incurious. Unfortunately, I've found these qualities in plenty of people right around the globe. The thing is that you have to actually GO overseas to meet people of other nationalities who are as wilfully ignorant and ill-traveled as your Texas friends, since they're staying at home too!
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:08 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Jamoldo

Once again, regardless of where he goes, patience and an open mind will be the most important things to have on such a trip. India (much like China) is 24 hour sensory overload and it can be a very sink or swim place. It hits you the minute you leave the plane...
Heck, the pollution hits you before you leave the plane. Talk about sensory overload! This was the thing that struck me most on my first visit to India. Everyone warned me about the poverty, advised me about the wonderful sights, etc. Eat the food, don't eat the food. No one mentioned the smells. Pollution in Indian cities is very high, and has a uniquely Indian smell. It is a combination of burnt hydrocarbon fuels and plastics, human and animal waste, in some places, rotting vegetation, Also once you are on the ground, you start mixing in the wonderful spices from the cooking, unwashed people, mold and mildew, insecticides, furniture polish in the high-end hotels. You get used to it, but it can be a shock when you first experience it.

If you have asthma, take your inhaler and all the drugs you have available to you. You will need them.

I hope that I haven't put you off from visiting India. Despite this issue, I loved India, have been back three times since that first visit, and always look forward to my next visit.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
we sure are are'nt we !!! even though some people in TX think that El Paso is not part of Texas....
Well it's stolen territory, no doubt about it, but then again, so is most of the south west.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:04 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
we sure are are'nt we !!! even though some people in TX think that El Paso is not part of Texas....
El Paso, isn't that part of Mexico?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Milaeage Plus, Delta Skymiles, AW Flight Fund, SCH Priority Club, Coice Priviledge, Jet Privilege
"drbond" I wouldn't do what other did. I would not question / doubt your intent of asking what you asked. Why? Because I know it is easy to plan the destinations but difficult to find if those are safe places. Rather than pointing fingers at others, these intellectuals should look in the mirror...everyone responded to you question "is India safe for Americans" but no one responded to you your question on Tiger reserves...(I made sure I did).

I agree with your post that you deleted...Hindus have no anger towards westerner and most Muslims do (some may call is opening a can of worms but that true).

But I will still correct my earlier comment that I wrote in a Jiffy.....

"Avoid majority Muslim area that are not tourist attractions and avoid all majority Muslim areas at odd hours....same is true for slums also (but who goes to slums on a tourist trip !!!)"

I think your and your family's safety is a bigger priority than "my political correctness". Other comments in my earlier post remain unaltered.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not true about the last one. Old Delhi is just fine, as are most various other areas in India with majority-muslim populations. And Bihar is fine for "WASPs" using common sense.
GUWonder...looks like you have only seen Old Delhi. I have been to many other cities also... Hyderabad, Kanpur, Lucknow, Jabalpur......and what I say is what locals told me !!! I wouldn't say anything more than that. It’s for you to take it or leave it.

Bihar well I would just not advise that to a guys visiting India for the first time although I know it has improved under the new Government.

Why am I not surprised.

Most all areas in India with majority-Muslim populations are as safe as other areas in India.....................................Perhaps you aren't aware that the a significant number of Hindu-fundamentalist thugs can't stand Christians in India either? That's why some Christian missionaries have ended up in trouble and there's the annual Valentine burning and bashing of card shops and more....
And why I am not surprised that you sound like a pseudo secular.

Few Hindus not liking "Christian Missionaries/ Evangelists" needs to be highlighted but all the war zones in the world are Muslim area and all the trouble around the world (including India) being created by Muslims is to be underplayed.

A small percentage of Hindus do dislike "Christian Missionaries/ Evangelists" (whichever color) who go to India with the sole aim of converting people using any means. In the process they dishonor local gods, beliefs, traditions and customs and get into trouble. Even these people are very well treated in most places and only in less than 1% cases they get into trouble. Otherwise Christians are as safe in India as they are in US. Christians at 2.5% of India’s population get Good Friday and Christmas holidays…compare that to any other majority Christian country !!

If you are a tourist you will be very well treated and there is nothing to fear at all.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:15 am
Suspended

I don't generally classify monuments by the religion of the ruler of the area at the time the monument was built. I don't think you do either.

Looking at them as purely religious monuments or monuments to religiouns wouldn't do most of the monuments justice and wouldn't do justice to the unnamed peoples of history who contributed to building them in small or even large measure or even the rulers who built quite a number of them. That said, there are certainly religious aspects to many monuments or religious monuments that are often integrated into such sites (or are the sites themselves). There are certainly many purely religious monuments that are definitely worth checking out. In India this includes monumental religious places of worship for many of the world's major religions -- bahai, buddhist, christian, hindu, jain, muslim, sikh, zoroastrian ... and the list goes on.

For people who haven't been to India before, it often times come across as hyper-stimulation of all the senses. It's really hard to imagine an American's first time trip to India not being memorable.
A monument is as Hindu or Muslim as an architecture or art is. My comment was directed at the OP becuase he was afraid of "muslims" or anything with muslim association. Muslim monuments were built by a mix of Hindu, Christian Hindu and what not labour/artisans and vice versa. So we are in agreement there. When the OP is walking around, he would be seen as "white" not an American. If he becomes a victim of a scam or street crime it would be because he was seen asa rich foregin torits who let his gaurd down, not because he is an American or a Christian.

Last edited by Yaatri; Nov 21, 2006 at 1:18 pm
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:16 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by AA25
GUWonder...looks like you have only seen Old Delhi. I have been to many other cities also... Hyderabad, Kanpur, Lucknow, Jabalpur......and what I say is what locals told me !!!
First of all, I would do a little more research before you assume that GUWonder has only been to Delhi! Second, I too have been to dozens of other cities in India, including Hyderabad and other heavily Muslim areas. I spent days wandering around Hyderabad, including the crowded downtown which is overwhelmingly Muslim, and I felt perfectly fine. I went out at night with two local male friends who are Indian Muslim, ate haleem at a local restaurant with them, and didn't even feel like people were looking at me funny. I am an American and a woman. NO PROBLEMS. The advice to avoid Muslim areas is complete rubbish.

all the war zones in the world are Muslim area
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yaatri
A monument is as Hindu or Muslim as an architecture or art is. My comment was directed at the OP becuase he was afraid of "muslims" or anything with muslim association. A Muslim monument were built by a mic of Hindu, Christian Hindu and what not labour/artisans and vice versa. So we are in agreement there. When the OP is walking around, he would be seen as "white" not an American. If he becomes a victim of a scam or street crime it would be because he was seen asa rich foregin torits who let his gaurd down, not because he is an American or a Christian.
^ You are right.

The great thing about India is that every building of any significance must have been built by workers of many religions and ethnicities hailing from many regions and even other countries.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Milaeage Plus, Delta Skymiles, AW Flight Fund, SCH Priority Club, Coice Priviledge, Jet Privilege
Originally Posted by travelmad478
..........I too have been to dozens of other cities in India, including Hyderabad and other heavily Muslim areas. I spent days wandering around Hyderabad, including the crowded downtown which is overwhelmingly Muslim, and I felt perfectly fine. I went out at night with two local male friends who are Indian Muslim, ate haleem at a local restaurant with them,....................

I too have been to Hyderabad during Ramadan and ate Haleem, Halees and Biryani. I have my own experiences but I prefer to keep quiet on those.......all I can say is I still stand by what I suggested.........take it or leave it. Remember....better safe than sorry.

It is very interesting that you are confused on my comment about the war zones being Muslim territories.....Iraq, Sudan, Palestine, Kashmir, Afghanistan-Pakistan, Chechnya etc. Where does that leave you?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Again...getting back to the OP....boy...are'nt you all sensitive....

Bond...suggest you do some time in the North and South to get feeling of the cultural difference...

I have been to Ranthambore and saw 5 tigers in the wild.....one even came and crossed our jeep approx 5 feet away...I almost pulled a Steve Irwin and wanted to touch him...What an exhilarating and unforgetable moment !!!!!!

Stay at the Oberoi in Ranthambore....definetly worth it and ask for the tents....
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
I too have been to Hyderabad during Ramadan and ate Haleem, Halees and Biryani. I have my own experiences but I prefer to keep quiet on those.......all I can say is I still stand by what I suggested.........take it or leave it. Remember....better safe than sorry.

It is very interesting that you are confused on my comment about the war zones being Muslim territories.....Iraq, Sudan, Palestine, Kashmir, Afghanistan-Pakistan, Chechnya etc. Where does that leave you?

even I have been to muslim areas during Ramandan,...all I can say is AMAZING FOOD..went with my Muslim suppliers who are well know in their community...so nothing was said....

To me FOOD supercedes RELIGION on any given day !!!
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
"drbond" I wouldn't do what other did. I would not question / doubt your intent of asking what you asked. Why? Because I know it is easy to plan the destinations but difficult to find if those are safe places. Rather than pointing fingers at others, these intellectuals should look in the mirror...everyone responded to you question "is India safe for Americans" but no one responded to you your question on Tiger reserves...(I made sure I did).
Not true. I responded about some tiger reserves barely having any tigers whatsoever. Wouldn't want the OP disappointed.

Not true about the last one. Old Delhi is just fine, as are most various other areas in India with majority-muslim populations. And Bihar is fine for "WASPs" using common sense.

GUWonder...looks like you have only seen Old Delhi. I have been to many other cities also... Hyderabad, Kanpur, Lucknow, Jabalpur......and what I say is what locals told me !!! I wouldn't say anything more than that. It’s for you to take it or leave it.
False claim in your post, yet again. I've visited a lot of India. I would venture to say I've seen parts of India that are off limits to most -- areas that are probably even off limits to you.

Why am I not surprised.

Most all areas in India with majority-Muslim populations are as safe as other areas in India
Perhaps you aren't aware that the a significant number of Hindu-fundamentalist thugs can't stand Christians in India either? That's why some Christian missionaries have ended up in trouble and there's the annual Valentine burning and bashing of card shops and more....
And why I am not surprised that you sound like a pseudo secular.
Nice try, but it won't work on me, especially taking things out of context. My example was a response to demonstrate there are radicals in every major religion; it was certainly no peddling of the kind of paucity of thinking that peddles singularity of identity to tar whole communities.

Few Hindus not liking "Christian Missionaries/ Evangelists" needs to be highlighted
Talk about barking up the wrong tree. Again, my example was to demonstrate there are radicals in every major religion. Nothing more, nothing less.

.... all the war zones in the world are Muslim area
And again, in the above post, we have more of that "all the war zones in the world are Muslim area and all the trouble around the world (including India) being created by Muslims is to be underplayed" rhetorical nonsense. The claim you are making is patently false. Have you checked out the fighting around Colombia? How about Sri Lanka? How about Nagaland in India? And that's just the start.

The above rhetoric I've quoted in AA25's post is patent anti-muslim hatred founded on telling ignorance. I'm ashamed that so much hatred for the second most populous national muslim grouping on the planet -- namely, India's muslim population, has found its way into this forum.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 21, 2006 at 4:01 pm
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yaatri
A monument is as Hindu or Muslim as an architecture or art is. My comment was directed at the OP becuase he was afraid of "muslims" or anything with muslim association. Muslim monuments were built by a mix of Hindu, Christian Hindu and what not labour/artisans and vice versa. So we are in agreement there. When the OP is walking around, he would be seen as "white" not an American. If he becomes a victim of a scam or street crime it would be because he was seen asa rich foregin torits who let his gaurd down, not because he is an American or a Christian.
Exactly.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:36 pm
Suspended

To me FOOD supercedes RELIGION on any given day !!!
Got that right! (as long as it's not roast pig though )
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Got that right! (as long as it's not roast pig though )
I know a chef who makes some deadly lamb vindaloo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.