Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

First time to India: 3-4 days in Mumbai. Any suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time to India: 3-4 days in Mumbai. Any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2008, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What is the official name of the open-air laundry in Mumbai? Is it correct that the name of the folks doing the laundry is dhobi wallas?
Old Jan 26, 2008, 7:42 am
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What is the official name of the open-air laundry in Mumbai? Is it correct that the name of the folks doing the laundry is dhobi wallas?
I think the person is called "Dhobi" and the place is called "Dhobi Ghat"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhobi
Old Jan 27, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
Wondering what itin is receommended if the trip were to be in late December?
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can anyone give helpful hints on taxis on Mumbai...is there a difference between the yellow and black taxis and the gold or blue cabs?
Old Jan 28, 2008, 6:32 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Can anyone give helpful hints on taxis on Mumbai...is there a difference between the yellow and black taxis and the gold or blue cabs?
I can't tell you much here.. but from the airport, pick up a pre-paid taxi instead
of picking one up from the line out. The kiosk will inside the airport just after
the customs and before the exit.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:28 am

I seem to remember that the blue cabs are called Cool Cabs because they have aircon. The black and gold ones with the super-old meters are a bit cheaper, but only marginally.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cpx
I think the person is called "Dhobi" and the place is called "Dhobi Ghat"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhobi
The response given by cpx is correct. But dhobi wallah is the British rendition for dhobi, the guy who collects your dirty laundry, does the laundry and brings it to you all washed and ironed.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:58 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The NY times did a nice article of what one could do in Mumbai: http://nyti.ms/2dGSGIC
Old Oct 8, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The NY times did a nice article of what one could do in Mumbai: http://nyti.ms/2dGSGIC
very interesting....

reminds me of a post on ft from a few years ago about what to do in mumbai in 24 hours....i thought it was an amazing post....can't seem to find it right now....
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:00 am

@JHattery
Mumbai:
For drinking, the rooftop bar and restaurant at Hotel Harbour View (aka The Strand) is hard to beat – go late afternoon and enjoy sunset. Harbour View is located opposite ‘Radio Club’ (well known) on Strand Road, the same road as the Taj Mahal Hotel. Indus at Hotel Diplomat just off Colaba Causeway is worth a look. Dome at Inter Continental Hotel on Marine Drive or Aer at Four Seasons in Worli are well worth the splurge – the bar at Aer has the best view in Mumbai.

Head for the Gateway of India, a yellow basalt archway facing the Arabian Sea. Adjacent is the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel. Treat yourself to afternoon tea. Wander the hotel's shopping arcades.

Arrange a tour of Dharavi slum.

Visit Mani Bhawan, the house that Mahatma Gandhi stayed in whenever he visited Mumbai (or Bombay as it was).

Visit the Dhobi Ghat, Mumbai's open-air laundry which has rows of concrete wash pens, each with its own flogging stone. Arrange to get in - just don't look from the bridge above.

Visit the Prince of Wales Museum of Western India.
Visit the Haji Ali Dargah.
Visit the Hanging Gardens / Malabar Hill.
Check the bullet holes at Leopold's Cafe (from the 2008 attacks).
Take a trip out to Elephanta Island. Plus:

• Victoria Terminus (train station)
• Oval/Azad Maidan (downtown Mumbai’s only large park, which is often dominated by games of cricket)
• Crawford Market
• St Thomas Cathedral
• Drive through Nariman Point
• Colaba Causeway (tourist and market area)
any asisstances in here feel free to ping
Old Dec 25, 2017, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by JHattery
And yes, I've tried to read the forum already to pick up what I can.

Hotel suggestions? Sightseeing around Mumbai? Shopping?

I fully understand the "dehli-belly" issue, so don't really need advice in that regard.

Thanks in advance.

Gateway of Inida, Rajabai Clock Tower, Flora Fountain! So many places to see!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.