Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

GST on International Air tickets issued in India?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Is GST applicable on wholly international air tickets issued in India? If yes, what is the applicable rate for Economy and Business / First Class tickets?
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by puchong
Is GST applicable on wholly international air tickets issued in India? If yes, what is the applicable rate for Economy and Business / First Class tickets?
1. Not sure on this, but I don't think GST will be applicable if no part of the travel takes place in India.
2. Applicable GST rate for economy is 5% and for business/first is 12%.
puchong likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I remember reading about this a few years ago. IATA claimed that charging GST on international flights would be in violation of international norms. Not sure if that was pulled back or not.
puchong likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 1:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Local taxes like VAT/GST/etc are usually never charged on international flights (pax and consumables like fuel, food, drinks etc). This only applies on domestic flights.
puchong likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks gentlemen for confirming what I had thought as well; but since you all know India so well, you ought to know that India (and the Modi government) dances to different tunes, with scant regard for international norms!

I am planning to buy a ticket and the local T/A claims that GST is payable. Before challenging her, I thought I would check with the experts here.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 3:26 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

GST is applicable on the services provided by the TA. in 2019 I paid 90 Rs GST on the 500 Rs service charge. 🤦‍♂️😂
Old Feb 16, 2022, 3:30 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Then why is United asking for GST information if they are not charging GST for tickets purchased ex-India?

I think they are indeed charging GST on international tickets, see here:

Airfare:

178965.00 INR

Equivalent Airfare:

2373.00 USD

U.S. Transportation Tax:

39.40 USD

India GST International:

361.10 USD

India Passenger Service Charge:

2.91 USD

India Aviation Security Fee:

14.16 USD

India Development Fee:

11.30 USD

Last edited by SuperFlyBoy; Feb 16, 2022 at 3:40 am
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Then why is United asking for GST information if they are not charging GST for tickets purchased ex-India?

I think they are indeed charging GST on international tickets, see here:

Airfare:

178965.00 INR

Equivalent Airfare:

2373.00 USD

U.S. Transportation Tax:

39.40 USD

India GST International:

361.10 USD

India Passenger Service Charge:

2.91 USD

India Aviation Security Fee:

14.16 USD

India Development Fee:

11.30 USD
I read OP's situation ("wholly international air tickets") to mean that no part of travel takes place in India (for instance tickets booked on UA using Flying Returns miles and issued by AI).

For tickets for which any part of the travel is in India, I think GoI would have a right to tax. As you have posted in the example above there is also a US tax for the same flight.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 4:37 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by superboi
I read OP's situation ("wholly international air tickets") to mean that no part of travel takes place in India (for instance tickets booked on UA using Flying Returns miles and issued by AI).

For tickets for which any part of the travel is in India, I think GoI would have a right to tax. As you have posted in the example above there is also a US tax for the same flight.
Yes, ticket is ex-India.

Sorry, the initial comments weren't very clear - now understand that we are discussing tickets issued in India but no travel in/ex-India...
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
Yes, ticket is ex-India.

Sorry, the initial comments weren't very clear - now understand that we are discussing tickets issued in India but no travel in/ex-India...
Yes, that is correct I am talking about a Delhi / USA / Delhi ticket which has no other stops in India.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:26 am

I just did a random CCU ARN booking in LH and it seems they are charging GST

Aviation Tax
3,432 INR
International/Domestic Surcharge
27,370 INR
User Development Fee
1,655 INR
Aviation Security Fee
1,068 INR
Passenger Charge
1,303 INR
Goods and Services Tax (GST)
7,486 INR
Passenger Service Charge - Intl
3,300 INR
Fuel and Security Surcharge
120 INR
The German Aviation Security Charge is refundable if you are a transfer passenger arriving from the USA, Canada or Montenegro in Frankfurt without undergoing an additional security check by the Federal Police. For refund of this fee please contact the Service center
850 INR
Fuel and Security Surcharge
180 INR
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I just did a random CCU ARN booking in LH and it seems they are charging GST
Does LH fly ex-CCU now??
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:38 pm

Lh.com will sell you tickets with AI/UK feeders
Old Feb 17, 2022, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Lh.com will sell you tickets with AI/UK feeders
Yes, so then you will most definitely have domestic segments, warranting GST to be charged.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:02 pm

A simple FRA DEL return also has GST

This is a list of all the taxes, fees & surcharges payable per person.
Per adult
International/Domestic Surcharge 27,326 INR User Development Fee 63 INR Aviation Security Fee 1,064 INR Passenger Service Fee 91 INR Goods and Services Tax (GST) 3,904 INR Passenger Service Charge - Intl 3,036 INR Air Transport Tax 4,973 INR The German Aviation Security Charge is refundable if you are a transfer passenger arriving from the USA, Canada or Montenegro in Frankfurt without undergoing an additional security check by the Federal Police. For refund of this fee please contact the Service center 850 INR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.