Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

GST on International Air tickets issued in India?

GST on International Air tickets issued in India?

Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by oliver2002
A simple FRA DEL return also has GST
Interesting - holding to the letter of the law then, I see!
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
A simple FRA DEL return also has GST
Did you mean a FRA-DEL-FRA itinerary?

An itinerary originating overseas should not have an Indian GST component.

Last year I purchased an IAD-BOM-IAD ticket with the outbound on UA and the return on LH, from an Indian travel agent with the point of sale in India and billed in INR and there was no GST.

Pulling up a couple of fares on Matrix also seems to indicate that flights originating from overseas, even if they have a domestic leg, don't include GST, even with an India point of sale.

On the other hand, a BA ticket I was exploring, ex BOM (to the US), US point of sale, billed in USD, did have GST.

This is consistent with my (limited) understanding of how it is supposed to work.

As a suffering ex India traveler, the icing on the cake is that the GST is calculated on the fare + YQ/YR
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:28 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I checked DEL-FRA-DEL on LH.com
Old Feb 18, 2022, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by puchong
Yes, that is correct I am talking about a Delhi / USA / Delhi ticket which has no other stops in India.
No. In that case the departure part of the journey (and the flight over Indian airspace) takes place on Indian territory so GST will be chargeable.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by awarty
Did you mean a FRA-DEL-FRA itinerary?

An itinerary originating overseas should not have an Indian GST component.
As SuperFlyBoy has pointed out above, the USA charges passenger taxes even for arrivals so I won't be surprised if the GoI also follows suit.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by superboi
As SuperFlyBoy has pointed out above, the USA charges passenger taxes even for arrivals so I won't be surprised if the GoI also follows suit.
Sssh, don't give them any ideas
superboi likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.