Wiki Posts
Search

US to ban travel from India from May 4

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2021, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
US to ban travel from India from May 4

Presumably US citizens and permanent residents will still be able to travel from India to the US.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...onavirus-rages
Old Apr 30, 2021, 5:02 pm

Quote from Reuters:

The policy means most non-U.S. citizens who have been in one of the stated countries within the last 14 days are not eligible to travel to the United States. Permanent U.S. residents and family members and some other non-U.S. citizens, such as students, are exempted.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/exc...ad-2021-04-30/
Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Seems like a few weeks too late, but that's water under the bridge at this point.

This travel restriction for India is still going to keep the US borders open to a whole bunch of the travelers from India to the US. Open for: the US citizens with Indian visas of various sorts; Indian citizens with US LPR status, and various others. Various others includes: Indians who are the spouse or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident; single, U21 Indian siblings of US citizens and US LPRs; Indian minors who are the children of a US citizen or US LPR; Indians with US visas being accepted with US national interest exemptions.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder what fraction of travelers from India to the USA will be impacted by the ban? It seems to affect tourists with no USA ties (certain close family members who are USA citizens or permanent residents) and business travelers with no USA ties, but it wouldn't cover those with work permits or training visas, student visas, diplomats/official visitors and their families, etc.
Old May 1, 2021, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder what fraction of travelers from India to the USA will be impacted by the ban? It seems to affect tourists with no USA ties (certain close family members who are USA citizens or permanent residents) and business travelers with no USA ties, but it wouldn't cover those with work permits or training visas, student visas, diplomats/official visitors and their families, etc.
not that many....the flights over the last few days consisted of a number of tourists who had no ties with usa & just wanted to get out of india for a few months till things got better....i would assume this would have accounted for 50% of the traffic from india to usa....but this was an anomaly taking place right now & has not been the case for the last year or so....most people flying between the 2 countries are either usa citizens, green card holders or permanent usa residents....they will still continue to travel....
Old May 3, 2021, 2:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you look at the daily pax numbers of 'evacuation' flight posted by Puri-ji on his twitter account, it seems the flights from the US are about 30-50% full:

Old May 4, 2021, 4:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Irrespective of government ban, can airlines simply stop flying from India to US by cancelling the flights till covid situation improves?
Old May 4, 2021, 9:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Airlines are flying to India because of the massive cargo demand. And they get to charge extra for flying out a few pax So I think the flights will continue.
GUWonder likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
not that many....the flights over the last few days consisted of a number of tourists who had no ties with usa & just wanted to get out of india for a few months till things got better....i would assume this would have accounted for 50% of the traffic from india to usa....but this was an anomaly taking place right now & has not been the case for the last year or so....most people flying between the 2 countries are either usa citizens, green card holders or permanent usa residents....they will still continue to travel....
I didn't realize this was such a big number! Staying at an AirBnB in the US to wait it out?
Old May 5, 2021, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by malgudi
I didn't realize this was such a big number! Staying at an AirBnB in the US to wait it out?
Lots of Europeans and European OCIs who have been in India during the last several months. Going to the US was the next stop, including for some to get vaccinated. No longer possible.
Old May 5, 2021, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Lots of Europeans and European OCIs who have been in India during the last several months. Going to the US was the next stop, including for some to get vaccinated. No longer possible.
Interesting, instead of going back to their home country in Europe?
Old May 5, 2021, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Interesting, instead of going back to their home country in Europe?
Some just had no good reason to head back for now to the country of citizenship/residence in Europe.
Old May 6, 2021, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
just to give you an example, i was talking to my travel agent a couple of days ago to cancel my del-ewr ua ticket for later this month....he told me he has been looking at loads over the next few weeks & sees flights all opening up because there are massive cancellations....

i even spoke to a buddy who works for ua....he told me that over 75% of people booked to travel between india-usa in may are no longer eligible to travel....
Old May 6, 2021, 5:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Airlines are flying to India because of the massive cargo demand. And they get to charge extra for flying out a few pax So I think the flights will continue.
China also has massive cargo demand, but based on my recent research (trying to fly PVG-BOS), flight options on passenger airlines are scant. AA dropped out, DL/UA sort of fly here via ICN (I think they use KE and OZ for the ICN-China legs now), and MU is currently banned from flying to/from the US because it brought in a bunch of Covid positive passengers recently. CA presumably still does JFK and LAX from Beijing, but they don't show up in my search results. I'm also not sure about CZ, but their routes were never really high demand to begin with.
Old May 6, 2021, 5:16 am

Lufthansa is keeping their flights to China (FRA-PVG, PEK, NKG, SHE). The pax numbers are severely limited (50-60 per flight) due to strict testing requirements and subjected to extensive things on arrival but the channel is open. The freight on these flights goes for a premium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.