Search

US to ban travel from India from May 4

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2021, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Keyser
just to give you an example, i was talking to my travel agent a couple of days ago to cancel my del-ewr ua ticket for later this month....he told me he has been looking at loads over the next few weeks & sees flights all opening up because there are massive cancellations....

i even spoke to a buddy who works for ua....he told me that over 75% of people booked to travel between india-usa in may are no longer eligible to travel....
How much of that is related to restricted US embassy/consulate operations in India? No timely visa = no timely go.
Old May 6, 2021, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by GUWonder
How much of that is related to restricted US embassy/consulate operations in India? No timely visa = no timely go.
no clue....but my guess is that the people who had booked to travel in may were those who had visas & are no longer eligible for travel after the ban....

my cousin wanted to apply for a visa for his kids last month & was told that the earliest appointment he could get was in august....so there were no visa appointments available in any case over the next few months....
Old May 8, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
The consulates have started to evacuate personnel, and are concentrating on serving citizens so I don't think granting visa is even on the map right now. From 2 days ago:
Event: On May 5, 2021, the Department of State authorized the voluntary
departure of U.S. government non-emergency employees in Mission India.
U.S. Embassy New Delhi and Consulates General Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata,
and Mumbai will remain open and continue to provide emergency consular
services.
Old May 8, 2021, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by SamirD
The consulates have started to evacuate personnel, and are concentrating on serving citizens so I don't think granting visa is even on the map right now. From 2 days ago:
this is similar to what they did last year when the lock-down was first imposed....seems like only emergency services will be available for the foreseeable future....
SamirD likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 5:47 pm

this is similar to what they did last year when the lock-down was first imposed....seems like only emergency services will be available for the foreseeable future....
Yep. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse and things start to get under control soon.
Old May 9, 2021, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamirD
Yep. Hopefully it doesn't get any worse and things start to get under control soon.
took 4-5 months last time....seems like it will be similar this time....
Old May 10, 2021, 11:09 am

took 4-5 months last time....seems like it will be similar this time....
Yikes. That means once it is under control, everyone will travel again during the peak travel season and induce another wave.

But I think before that happens, the wave from Asia is going to hit other countries and we'll all have to take a few steps backwards for 6 months or so to get it under control again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.