Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Which airport is a lesser hassle to transit through - DEL or BOM?

Old Apr 5, 21, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus

Flying from US to Chennai. (ATL-MAA ) in 3 weeks. Trying to decide the best route that has less Covid restrictions (procedures) at the airport. I am covid free as well as vaccinated.

My options are:
Fly to DEL-->Transit and fly to Chennai
Fly to BOM-->Transit and fly to Chennai
Fly to middle east (Dubai, ABU etc) and from there a flight to Chennai
Thanks
Old Apr 5, 21, 7:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
DEL has a slightly better setup from the reports of Keyser . My experience at BOM was rather chaotic, but if you know what to expect, you can manage. Flying the ME3 is also possible but note that the govt may stop the transit in DOH/AUH/DXB for political reasons at any random point.
Old Apr 5, 21, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Love_Travel View Post
Flying from US to Chennai. (ATL-MAA ) in 3 weeks. Trying to decide the best route that has less Covid restrictions (procedures) at the airport. I am covid free as well as vaccinated.

My options are:
Fly to DEL-->Transit and fly to Chennai
Fly to BOM-->Transit and fly to Chennai
Fly to middle east (Dubai, ABU etc) and from there a flight to Chennai
Thanks
I would choose US-DEL-Madras over US-BOM-Madras.

I would also possibly prefer US-Qatar/UAE-Madras over US-DEL-MAA, but it would depend on what the DEL-MAA option would mean when coming off a US-DEL flight.
Old Apr 7, 21, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i have noticed that flying into india via the middle east is not really a problem as many people i know have done this over the last 6 months....but you may face a problem flying out of india via the middle east....so keep that in mind....

have not flown into bom since the covid restrictions came into place but i have taken 7 international flights, all landing in del since september 2020....things seem pretty organised in del whereas i have heard bom is a bit more chaotic (as oliver2002 has stated as well)....i also know a couple of people who have transited to lko & hyd via del....both said the transfer was pretty smooth....

given your 3 options, i would pick the option via del....
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 7, 21, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Awesome.Thanks. Will book via Delhi. I will fly back to ATL in Aug, and back to MAA in Oct, but don't know what will be the covid situation then, so buying a one way ticket. I am hoping i wouldn't be asked me to quarantine in Delhi.

Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
i have noticed that flying into india via the middle east is not really a problem as many people i know have done this over the last 6 months....but you may face a problem flying out of india via the middle east....so keep that in mind....

have not flown into bom since the covid restrictions came into place but i have taken 7 international flights, all landing in del since september 2020....things seem pretty organised in del whereas i have heard bom is a bit more chaotic (as oliver2002 has stated as well)....i also know a couple of people who have transited to lko & hyd via del....both said the transfer was pretty smooth....

given your 3 options, i would pick the option via del....

Last edited by Love_Travel; Apr 7, 21 at 11:23 am
Old Apr 9, 21, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Awesome.Thanks. Will book via Delhi. I will fly back to ATL in Aug, and back to MAA in Oct, but don't know what will be the covid situation then, so buying a one way ticket. I am hoping i wouldn't be asked me to quarantine in Delhi.
you won't be required to quarantine in del if you are transiting but you will be subjected to a covid test on arrival & will have to wait for your result before you are allowed to take your connecting flight....
Old Apr 9, 21, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for helping with all critical information Keyser. Ok. Will the results available with in 5 to 6 hours.? I just booked via ATL-AMS-DEL. Haven't bought the MAA connection ticket yet.

you won't be required to quarantine in del if you are transiting but you will be subjected to a covid test on arrival & will have to wait for your result before you are allowed to take your connecting flight....
Old Apr 9, 21, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for helping with all critical information Keyser. Ok. Will the results available with in 5 to 6 hours.? I just booked via ATL-AMS-DEL. Haven't bought the MAA connection ticket yet.
5-6 hours should be more than enough....
Old Apr 9, 21, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Ok. Thank you again for the help Keyser.

5-6 hours should be more than enough....
Old Apr 10, 21, 4:46 pm

Domestic connections from an inbound international flight via BOM or DEL used to be a real pain in the butt. I remember the days when they made everyone leave the airport, and then check in to the domestic side of the terminal. Air India in that regard had an advantage, because they allowed direct transfers. I remember having to take a bus at BOM to go between the domestic and international terminals.

My most recent trip to India was via BOM. My flight was on UA, so it landed rather late in the evening, and my onward domestic flight was not until the next morning. This was about 4 months ago. COVID testing prior to departure was mandatory, or else you have to do a RT-PCR test on arrival in BOM. They have a clinic setup in the airport itself, and the results take a few hours. If you get the test done before leaving US, you can avoid waiting. Because of COVID, the domestic and international terminals were operating together at BOM. Not sure what they are doing now. It seems the air traffic will likely pickup by the fall.

DEL does seem to have a better layout, and will probably be easier for a seamless international-domestic transfer. If you need to catch some rest, Aerocity is only a 10 min train ride away, and you can get half-day rooms. Overall I agree that DEL is probably a better choice.
Old Apr 10, 21, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your post. I booked to transit via DEL.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Apr 11, 21, 9:14 pm

Programs: Stanmore Travels
No covid test on arrival in delhi if you take a direct flight from US to India. I am a travel agent and I have been booking clients via delhi On a daily basis without any issue. Mumbai is fine as well, if you have covid test, you don't need to quarantine if you go from US to mumbai direct flight. Avoid the ME and Europe transit flights and you will be fine. If you take Air India flight book a VBM flight to MAA and all the immigration/custom and quarantine processing will be done in Chennai.
Get in touch with a travel agent who specializes in India travel and they will guide you.
You do need to take a covid test in USA 72 hrs before boarding.
Old Apr 12, 21, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ramkyk View Post
No covid test on arrival in delhi if you take a direct flight from US to India. I am a travel agent and I have been booking clients via delhi On a daily basis without any issue. Mumbai is fine as well, if you have covid test, you don't need to quarantine if you go from US to mumbai direct flight. Avoid the ME and Europe transit flights and you will be fine. If you take Air India flight book a VBM flight to MAA and all the immigration/custom and quarantine processing will be done in Chennai.
Get in touch with a travel agent who specializes in India travel and they will guide you.
read the op's post....he is booked atl-ams-del so will be subject to the covid test on arrival....
Old Apr 21, 21, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Current covid situation on DEL is making me worried. I am holding ATL-AMS-DEL ticket and a separate ticket for DEL-MAA.

Given rapid rise in Covid cases in Delhi, does it make sense to Skip DEL airport and rebook ATL-AMS-DXB-MAA? I will have to buy a separate ticket for DXB-MAA in AI or Emirates

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...tive-for-covid (This was a flight from DEL to HKG)

Originally Posted by ramkyk View Post

Last edited by Love_Travel; Apr 21, 21 at 7:41 am
Old Apr 22, 21, 11:57 pm

Current covid situation on DEL is making me worried. I am holding ATL-AMS-DEL ticket and a separate ticket for DEL-MAA.

Given rapid rise in Covid cases in Delhi, does it make sense to Skip DEL airport and rebook ATL-AMS-DXB-MAA? I will have to buy a separate ticket for DXB-MAA in AI or Emirates

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/...tive-for-covid (This was a flight from DEL to HKG)
UAE-India flights are now closed so your DXB-MAA option will no longer be available. If you can route via Paris to BLR (assuming you are on DL codeshare) then going by road from there might be an option. AF is currently flying CDG-BLR few times a week.

Overall the Covid scene everywhere in India is a mess so if non-essential would suggest you postpone the trip if possible.
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: