Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Travel to India - OCI with minor dependents on tourist visa

Old Mar 28, 2021, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Great forum! Looking forward to insights/advice on my situation:

1. Family of four - two US citizen adults with OCI and two minor dependent children (also US citizens) with 10-year multiple entry extended tourist visas (type "T", expiring 2023).
2. Travel planned from U.S. east coast to India (Mumbai) in mid-July 2021 via a direct flight.

From the Indian Bureau of Immigration website, it's clear that US citizens with OCI can travel to India subject to their defined operating procedure for quarantine. However, tourist visas are suspended and existing tourist visas are apparently not being honored for entry.

I was wondering if anyone had insights on how the tourist visa suspension would impact my specific case where both parents have OCI and only the minor dependents have a tourist visa. Should we rush to apply for the kids' OCI now, or is it possible to get their visas validated for travel? Anyone here with a similar situation or experience? FWIW, reason for travel is to visit immediate family, we do not have a justifiable emergency to obtain the exception visa. And my understanding is that the NY VFS center is not currently processing OCI applications at least through end of March.

TIA,
RunnerMan

Last edited by RunnerMan; Mar 28, 2021 at 3:07 pm
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by RunnerMan

1. Family of four - two US citizen adults with OCI and two minor dependent children (also US citizens) with 10-year multiple entry extended tourist visas (type "T", expiring 2023).
2. Travel planned from U.S. east coast to India (Mumbai) in mid-July 2021 via a direct flight.

From the Indian Bureau of Immigration website, it's clear that US citizens with OCI can travel to India subject to their defined operating procedure for quarantine. However, tourist visas are suspended and existing tourist visas are apparently not being honored for entry.

I was wondering if anyone had insights on how the tourist visa suspension would impact my specific case where both parents have OCI and only the minor dependents have a tourist visa. Should we rush to apply for the kids' OCI now, or is it possible to get their visas validated for travel? Anyone here with a similar situation or experience? FWIW, reason for travel is to visit immediate family, we do not have a justifiable emergency to obtain the exception visa. And my understanding is that the NY VFS center is not currently processing OCI applications at least through end of March.

TIA,
RunnerMan
Check current OCI processing times (8-12 weeks at some consulates in USA) and emergency visa is the only viable option. For emergency visa you'd need a reason and a letter which could state addressing legal matters or visiting family etc. But its subjective to approval of the consular official. Tourist visas are not valid and even if the passport is stamped with one you will be denied boarding.....

https://www.indianembassyusa.gov.in/extra?id=79
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by RunnerMan

TIA,
RunnerMan
Check (ii) c. Application on account of parents OCI is a valid reason for visa.

http://www.cgichicago.gov.in/pdf/COM...guidelines.pdf
Old Mar 30, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
if your travel is in mid july then you have more than enough time to apply for your kid's oci....also, there is a good chance travel restrictions will change by the time july comes around....
Old Mar 30, 2021, 11:55 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Contact the consulate and ask them to (re)issue the visa for your children, it should not be an issue. If you have time on your hand get the OCI done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.