COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
So I have a 12 hour layover in Bangkok (where I'm planning to go into town) before I board a series of flights that will have me end up in India. I haven't seen clarification whether or not I'll need a test. My last flight will be arriving from Colombo. Anyone have guidance? (And I'm aware things can change a million times before June when I arrive, but would rather work through the logistics mentally now.)
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by JayhawkCO; Dec 28, 2022 at 3:20 pm
Old Dec 28, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
So I have a 12 hour layover in Bangkok (where I'm planning to go into town) before I board a series of flights that will have me end up in India. I haven't seen clarification whether or not I'll need a test. My last flight will be arriving from Colombo. Anyone have guidance? (And I'm aware things can change a million times before June when I arrive, but would rather work through the logistics mentally now.)
Currently (from what I understand) is that India has a random testing policy, testing ~2% of inbound passengers, preferably from different countries. You can see the latest pdf here: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/

Please report back whether they made you wait after testing - and if you know, where those who test positive are made to go?
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:41 am

If in doubt, get a test. All it takes is one misinformed airport agent to ruin your trip. I have heard many first hand accounts of such trouble and denied boarding etc. Red tape in India is notorious.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by leonidas
If in doubt, get a test. All it takes is one misinformed airport agent to ruin your trip. I have heard many first hand accounts of such trouble and denied boarding etc. Red tape in India is notorious.
Just trying to figure out where I'd actually get tested. Because I'm a weirdo, my flights are as follows:

BKK-(TG)-DAC Dhaka Overnight
DAC-(UL)-CMB 9 hour layover, leaving the airport
CMB-(UL)-DEL

So, I could get a test in BKK obviously, but I don't enter India for over 24 hours from the time I leave Thailand. I could get a test in CMB, but I guess would they care if the concern is visitors from Thailand? And I assume I wouldn't be denied boarding in Sri Lanka for a previous visit to Thailand that they ostensibly don't know anything about since it wasn't on their itinerary? All very confusing (made slightly more confusing by my self-imposed idiotic itinerary.)
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Just trying to figure out where I'd actually get tested. Because I'm a weirdo, my flights are as follows:

CMB-(UL)-DEL

So, I could get a test in BKK obviously, but I don't enter India for over 24 hours from the time I leave Thailand. I could get a test in CMB, but I guess would they care if the concern is visitors from Thailand? And I assume I wouldn't be denied boarding in Sri Lanka for a previous visit to Thailand that they ostensibly don't know anything about since it wasn't on their itinerary? All very confusing (made slightly more confusing by my self-imposed idiotic itinerary.)
I would just get tested in CMB - I did it there and they came to my hotel - was very fast and easy.

But at that time - about 1.5-2 months ago, a negative PCR-RT test was manditory to enter Sri Lanka - please do check current rules.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I would just get tested in CMB - I did it there and they came to my hotel - was very fast and easy.

But at that time - about 1.5-2 months ago, a negative PCR-RT test was manditory to enter Sri Lanka - please do check current rules.
Currently no testing (or vaccination) requirements. It is mandatory to have Covid insurance, which I have to determine if my current travel insurance (which has Covid coverage) would suffice.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta

This news item came out just a short time ago: https://www.reuters.com/world/india/...-1-2022-12-29/

Mandatory negative RT-PCR test required for arrivals from China, Singapore, Thailand, and Hong Kong.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Bandicoot
This news item came out just a short time ago: https://www.reuters.com/world/india/...-1-2022-12-29/

Mandatory negative RT-PCR test required for arrivals from China, Singapore, Thailand, and Hong Kong.
That's what we're trying to figure out. What does "arrivals from" mean? Is it a direct flight from those countries? It is for nationals of those countries? If those countries are on the same itinerary? If you've been in those countries in the past 14 days? Very vague.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by JayhawkCO; Dec 29, 2022 at 10:03 am
Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
That's what we're trying to figure out. What does "arrivals from" mean? Is it a direct flight from those countries? It is for nationals of those countries? If those countries are on the same itinerary? If you've been in those countries in the past 14 days? Very vague.
It's not vague. You need to test if you are coming from a high risk country within the past 14 days (which currently are listed as: * China, Singapore, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, Thailand and Japan). You need to test within 72 hours prior. Read here: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Guideli...cember2022.pdf
leonidas and SamirD like this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
It's not vague. You need to test if you are coming from a high risk country within the past 14 days (which currently are listed as: * China, Singapore, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, Thailand and Japan). You need to test within 72 hours prior. Read here: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/Guideli...cember2022.pdf
The link you posted certainly isn't vague. The Reuters article certainly was. Thanks for posting.
SamirD likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 6:13 pm

CMB-(UL)-DEL

Is it all on one PNR? If yes, then the TG agent may not let you check in without a test - hard to predict. Also remember that PCR test can take more than a day to get results (unless you find a place which does rapid PCR). Are you sure you can locate a rapid PCR facility in DAC or CMB? India won't accept antigen tests.

If it's separate PNR (your post makes it seem like), you can technically keep mum about Thailand visit when you check in at CMB but then you will be lying on your arrival document which is a big deal. If the immigration officer finds Thai stamp on your passport, you risk quarantine (or deportation? who knows).
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by leonidas; Dec 29, 2022 at 6:19 pm
Old Dec 29, 2022, 6:54 pm

Is it all on one PNR? If yes, then the TG agent may not let you check in without a test - hard to predict. Also remember that PCR test can take more than a day to get results (unless you find a place which does rapid PCR). Are you sure you can locate a rapid PCR facility in DAC or CMB? India won't accept antigen tests.

If it's separate PNR (your post makes it seem like), you can technically keep mum about Thailand visit when you check in at CMB but then you will be lying on your arrival document which is a big deal. If the immigration officer finds Thai stamp on your passport, you risk quarantine (or deportation? who knows).
The PNRs are split at DAC. I've found lots of places in Bangkok with 3 hour PCR tests. I'll test there and make it easy on myself (assuming this restriction is still in place in 5 months). If I had two passports, I'd be tempted to use one for Thai entry and the other for the rest.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by JayhawkCO; Dec 30, 2022 at 10:47 am
Old Jan 1, 2023, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, American Platinum, Singapore KrisFlyer
I was singled out back in May as I arrived in MAA on a flight from SIN. I have not received my test results to date
They even messed up my last name and nationality.. Go figure.
TravelinSperry and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 10:38 am

It's all a theater. The reality is that no one actually cares about COVID. The government has to show that they are doing something.
B747-437B and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 5:52 am

It's all a theater. The reality is that no one actually cares about COVID. The government has to show that they are doing something.
YOU don’t care. There is a big difference.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.