Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India

COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India

Old May 26, 22, 3:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
The absurd thing is that come June, Germany will drop all covid requirements for visitors, so you don't have to show proof of vaccination and/or test to enter Germany anyway 🤦
SamirD likes this.
Old May 27, 22, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
The absurd thing is that come June, Germany will drop all covid requirements for visitors, so you don't have to show proof of vaccination and/or test to enter Germany anyway 🤦
How convenient.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 1, 22, 6:50 pm

Nobody will bother to check where he or she is or what they are doing once they depart the airport. The app also doesn't seems to works fine outside the country. So travel with RT PCR Test Reports.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 10, 22, 8:51 pm

COVID-19 vaccinations and Air Suvidha questions

We are traveling to India by Emirates airlines and transiting via Dubai. I have reviewed the COVID-19 requirements for travel to India but would like to confirm a few things. I understand that negative RT-PCR test is not necessary if you have a valid vaccination certificate.

1. What constitutes a valid vaccination certificate? I have the following:
• COVID-19 vaccination record issued by Virginia Department of Health (US) that shows 3 doses of COVID-19 have been taken. It has a QR code.
• Compact vaccination cards that were manually filled-in each time the vaccine was administered

I plan to carry printed copies of both, but which one should I upload to the Air Suvidha portal? The vaccination record or copy of the vaccination card (front and back)?

2. Does the vaccination certificate need to have the QR code? Should we carry printed copies as well as a digital copy (with QR code) on our phones?

3. Questions about Air Suvidha Self Declaration form:
a) I am flying into Bengaluru and after a 2-day stay there, I am taking a flight to Chennai. Should I answer Yes/No to the question "Are you taking a connecting Domestic flight?" It is not really a connecting flight because I will be staying in Bengaluru for 2 days.

b) Majority of my stay will be in Chennai even though I will be spending the first 2 days in Bengaluru. Should I put the final destination address as Chennai?

c) Can we use same email ID for multiple passengers (my child does not have an email ID)? Or should we use different email ID for each passenger?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 11, 22, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by alpha_centauri View Post
We are traveling to India by Emirates airlines and transiting via Dubai. I have reviewed the COVID-19 requirements for travel to India but would like to confirm a few things. I understand that negative RT-PCR test is not necessary if you have a valid vaccination certificate.

• COVID-19 vaccination record issued by Virginia Department of Health (US) that shows 3 doses of COVID-19 have been taken. It has a QR code.
• Compact vaccination cards that were manually filled-in each time the vaccine was administered

I plan to carry printed copies of both, but which one should I upload to the Air Suvidha portal? The vaccination record or copy of the vaccination card (front and back)?
I've used both successfully and when using the CDC card usually just upload the front. I have to date not asked to provide proof during a journey with the exception of a transfer on separate tickets in FRA

2. Does the vaccination certificate need to have the QR code? Should we carry printed copies as well as a digital copy (with QR code) on our phones?
I carry a printout as i prefer handing over a piece of paper than my phone but I've used both.

a) I am flying into Bengaluru and after a 2-day stay there, I am taking a flight to Chennai. Should I answer Yes/No to the question "Are you taking a connecting Domestic flight?" It is not really a connecting flight because I will be staying in Bengaluru for 2 days.
If you have a place you stay at in Bengaluru that should be your destination on the form.

b) Majority of my stay will be in Chennai even though I will be spending the first 2 days in Bengaluru. Should I put the final destination address as Chennai?
c) Can we use same email ID for multiple passengers (my child does not have an email ID)? Or should we use different email ID for each passenger?
The email is to receive the confirmation so i don't think that should be an issue.
SamirD and alpha_centauri like this.
Old Jun 11, 22, 8:46 am

Programs: EY

The SMART card compatible QR code you get from the VDH website is far superior to the CDC card. QR code is necessary for certain countries too such as UAE. If you have that and upload that, CDC card is irrelevant and unnecessary. Digital and print outs are fine.
alpha_centauri likes this.
Old Jun 11, 22, 9:23 am

Thank you zig666 and xobile for your answers. I will upload the VDH record with the QR code and will carry a printout of this VDH record as well.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 12, 22, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Traveling to India for first time since after pandemic started. We are a family of 4, all OCIs, so good there.

Adults are fully vaxed and boosted, but have a question about the kids and vaccinations. Our 4 yo is obviously not vaccinated, and is clearly exempt from needing to be vaccinated or tested prior to arrival. I’m wondering another the 7yo though. I couldn’t find a reference anywhere to kids and if they are exempt from vaccination prior to arrival, and if we’ll need to upload her certificate as well. She has 2 shots of Pfizer (completed in December), but only recently got boosted - 10 days prior to scheduled arrival. I believe since the definition of fully vaccinated talks about being 2 weeks past ‘primary’ vaccination schedule, she should be considered fully vaccinated. But she just got her booster last week - it’ll be 10 days prior to arrival. A bit worried if we have to upload her certificate, it will consider her not ‘fully’ vaccinated to her most recent shot being so close.

so I guess the main questions are will the form require us to upload her certificate (or failing that, require her to test), and will the authorities potentially confuse her last shot being so recent as her not being ‘fully vaccinated?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 1:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
2 shots is considered fully vaccinated. Boosters are (so far) not required.
emcampbe and SamirD like this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alright…one more quick one.

Has anyone had any issues showing a digital version of the form to show it’s been completed…either to their airline (in our case, would be Singapore) or if asked after arrival? Or do we need to print a paper copy?

also, I filled out for everyone in our party of 4, but I was the only one who received the confirmation email/form. It does say near the bottom it is for 4 people, but only has my detailed info. No one else was sent copies. Just want to make sure this is the normal process.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 10:03 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Digital version is fine. Please do not print it (It is an utter waste of paper and ink for a document that people just give a cursory glance)
Yes. Only you (the primary) will get the email and there is only 1 confirmation # for it. Airline agents will just check if the document has a V on top right corner and then glance at the name(s) including the one(s) at the bottom. I just did it last week. No one bothered to check anything beyond that.

Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Alright…one more quick one.

Has anyone had any issues showing a digital version of the form to show it’s been completed…either to their airline (in our case, would be Singapore) or if asked after arrival? Or do we need to print a paper copy?

also, I filled out for everyone in our party of 4, but I was the only one who received the confirmation email/form. It does say near the bottom it is for 4 people, but only has my detailed info. No one else was sent copies. Just want to make sure this is the normal process.
Old Jun 13, 22, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellingMan View Post
Digital version is fine. Please do not print it (It is an utter waste of paper and ink for a document that people just give a cursory glance)
Yes. Only you (the primary) will get the email and there is only 1 confirmation # for it. Airline agents will just check if the document has a V on top right corner and then glance at the name(s) including the one(s) at the bottom. I just did it last week. No one bothered to check anything beyond that.
appreciate it - thanks. Exactly - don’t really want to print if I don’t have to. and always a bit worried about India and seemingly missing a step or doing something not quite right and getting a hard time for it (or doing something exactly per rules and getting a hard time for it - already heard that some inbound immigration officers seem to be insisting on seeing U visas from old OCIs in expired passports, even though now they are supposedly explicitly not needed anymore).
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 13, 22, 10:41 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
appreciate it - thanks. Exactly - don’t really want to print if I don’t have to. and always a bit worried about India and seemingly missing a step or doing something not quite right and getting a hard time for it (or doing something exactly per rules and getting a hard time for it - already heard that some inbound immigration officers seem to be insisting on seeing U visas from old OCIs in expired passports, even though now they are supposedly explicitly not needed anymore).
India has become more digital than the US in some aspects. At least no one writes checks here and everyone does instantaneous UPI payments (even the vegetable vendor). So they have been accepting digital documents (except international boarding passes which need to be paper so that everyone can stamp it I have not had any bad experiences with immigration officers and no one has ever asked me for the U visa. I do keep my old passport with the U visa for uninformed check in agents world wide who insist on it
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 9:37 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by TravellingMan View Post
India has become more digital than the US in some aspects. At least no one writes checks here and everyone does instantaneous UPI payments (even the vegetable vendor). So they have been accepting digital documents (except international boarding passes which need to be paper so that everyone can stamp it I have not had any bad experiences with immigration officers and no one has ever asked me for the U visa. I do keep my old passport with the U visa for uninformed check in agents world wide who insist on it
Plenty of airlines such as Emirates explicitly wrote in their websites in the past two years to bring two color copies of the Air Suvidha form, so the question has merit. I've been asked for my old passport with the U visa on it just last year when departing, didn't have it but wasn't an issue. India needs to fix the Air Suvidha website (which confusingly is on the New Delhi Airport website) to minimize the questions and allow us to save our documents, like Canada does, if they are going to keep up this system. State specific systems like Kerala's Jagratha need to updated or done away with. The latter one is a terrible system which asks for your Indian phone number and Indian contact, you need an Indian number to log in. I am not sure how tourists with no connection to the country are supposed to fill that out. It even asks for your 'visa type' which I finally understood meant your visa in the country you are coming from. It was clearly intended for returnees from the Gulf in the first days of the pandemic, but was never updated afterwards.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jun 14, 22, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
As far as Indian phone and address, you can write the hotel information where you plan to stay. This is needed o track passengers in case they are exposed to Covid in the plane.

Originally Posted by xobile View Post
Plenty of airlines such as Emirates explicitly wrote in their websites in the past two years to bring two color copies of the Air Suvidha form, so the question has merit. I've been asked for my old passport with the U visa on it just last year when departing, didn't have it but wasn't an issue. India needs to fix the Air Suvidha website (which confusingly is on the New Delhi Airport website) to minimize the questions and allow us to save our documents, like Canada does, if they are going to keep up this system. State specific systems like Kerala's Jagratha need to updated or done away with. The latter one is a terrible system which asks for your Indian phone number and Indian contact, you need an Indian number to log in. I am not sure how tourists with no connection to the country are supposed to fill that out. It even asks for your 'visa type' which I finally understood meant your visa in the country you are coming from. It was clearly intended for returnees from the Gulf in the first days of the pandemic, but was never updated afterwards.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by Love_Travel; Jun 14, 22 at 5:36 pm

Search this Thread