FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/2028211-covid19-testing-vaccination-requirements-enter-india.html)

oliver2002 Jan 26, 2021 9:31 am

No one really looks at the report in that detail. But in case somebody gets nosy I would keep it 3 days from the date of departure, ie if you are leaving on the 30th, the report should show that you went for the test on the 27th.

Maxwell Smart Jan 26, 2021 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 32995704)
No one really looks at the report in that detail. But in case somebody gets nosy I would keep it 3 days from the date of departure, ie if you are leaving on the 30th, the report should show that you went for the test on the 27th.

Thanks.

My main stress point is ensuring that I get a result in hand before departing. 72 hour limit seems too short given that results can take at least 24-48 hrs or longer. Taking a test on Thursday worries me that if I don't get results by Friday, it might not be till Monday, and I can't contemplate what I'd be suffering through if I land in DEL and learn my result was somehow positive.

Am considering getting a test on Wednesday for a better chance of having results before departure, and take another one on Thursday to meet the 72 hour rule.
Worst case I could then use the Wed test to argue that I had to start my travel on Saturday in order to reach JFK for the Sunday flight (will be driving 8 hrs from Virginia to JFK).

sgopal2 Jan 27, 2021 8:45 am

Regarding time to get PCR: I would suggest following the guideline exactly. 72 hours from sample collection to departure. The lab report will have both the sample collection time, lab receipt time and lab reporting time. I got two tests done (at T-72 and T-48) just to be sure. Within the US you can get an at home text via Pixel/Labcorp. This way you can schedule the sample at the right time. The problem is that some of the local physician offices collect samples throughout the day, and then wait until the evening to ship the samples. So you could have your sample collected at 12 noon, but then it doesn't arrive to the lab until 10 pm.

I showed my PCR results on my iPad, as I didn't get the results until about 6 hours in the air. The guy who looked at my iPad didn't pay much attention to the timing. He was just looking for the date and the negative result.

Regarding the transit at DEL: why not just stay at Aerocity. You can get a half-day rate at the Lemontree. Its only about 10 mins away from the DEL airport.

mkj2001 Feb 5, 2021 7:20 am

Has anyone travelled to India (DELHI) and took the PCR/RT at the airport -- what is the experience like and the wait times.. need to travel for a family emergency

sgopal2 Feb 6, 2021 5:30 pm

BOM has a PCR facility after landing. They said it takes about 8 hours. I had a negative result so I didn't need to wait. But others on my flight opted for the PCR test upon landing.

IADFlyer123 Feb 8, 2021 9:23 am

Regarding your earlier post about PCR test being taken 72 hours prior to departure. I am a little confused about the exact time of taking the test - is it 72 hours prior to beginning the specific flight to India (in my case - EWR-BOM at 8.30 pm ET) or the overall journey to india (IAD-EWR at 12:30pm on the same day). So my question is should I take the test 72 hours prior to 12.30pm or 72 hours prior to 8.30pm?

oliver2002 Feb 9, 2021 12:24 am

72h prior to leaving from the origin of your journey, in this case IAD.

knit-in Feb 25, 2021 11:41 am

New Covid-19 Guidelines for International Passengers

starryeyedscientist Mar 29, 2021 11:45 am

Would someone please tell me if the PCR test is accepted? The govt websites say RT-PCR and the Indian embassy was incredibly clueless. I'm in Houston and will be flying to IAD then leaving on Friday at 9 pm for India. I only know CVS who offers RT-PCR for free. I'm a student and can't afford exorbitant test prices. I've called the closest CVS branches in Houston and they are no less than 48 h turnaround time so it would be cutting it close if I take the test . Getting a PCR, not RT-PCR test, would expand my options.

oliver2002 Mar 29, 2021 12:40 pm

Its 'RT-PCR' : https://www.newdelhiairport.in/pdf/G...ls17022021.pdf

The 'PCR' tests in use in the US meet that standard. Get one of those and you will be fine. https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consum...testing-basics

starryeyedscientist Mar 29, 2021 2:21 pm

I hope so, because I don't know if the PCR test result is accepted. I think they want to see the words "RT-PCR" on the report that's why I'm wondering if anyone's travelled to India with a "PCR" report.

superboi Mar 30, 2021 1:02 am

I'd strongly recommend you try getting an RT-PCR from CVS (and get the other PCR anyway as backup). A friend who flew ORD-HYD recently reported that AI staff at ORD were bring particularly stringent on this and people without "RT-PCR" on their reports were being denied boarding. Also see this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/indi...f-ord-del.html

starryeyedscientist Mar 30, 2021 9:56 am

Thank you for replying superboi, I heard the same. A friend travelling to HYD told me that, and highly recommended going to CVS as well. I've booked my appt for tomorrow morning at CVS and just worried about the turnaround time. Most places in Houston are 2 days min and my flight is at 9 pm from IAD. If I don't get my test on time, any idea if I can upload proof (of the test being taken) on the Air Suvidha website and they'll let me board and accept results in India?

superboi Mar 31, 2021 8:31 am

What route are you flying? There is no direct flight from IAD/IAH to India so I'm assuming you're transiting somewhere - check with the airline if you can submit results before your second flight?

Not sure if uploading the proof of taking the test will be sufficient - remember the requirement is for a "negative" test report. It's the result they're more interested in. Perhaps if you have a backup PCR test you could try using that for your first flight.

Good luck!

Keyser Mar 31, 2021 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by superboi (Post 33140567)
There is no direct flight from IAD/IAH to India so I'm assuming you're transiting somewhere

ai flies direct from iad to del....