Reload this Page >

COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by quarryking
Both the shots were taken in India (Covishield)
Then you are good as of now, but do keep tabs on the New Delhi Airport website if there are any changes.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: Delta
I'm planning a trip to India later this month, BOS to BOM and back. If I understand correctly US vaccination status will be, or should be, accepted on the "Air Suvidha" form and there should not be any requirement of mandatory testing to enter India, and I would need a rapid test (or any test) before leaving India to return to the US. Is this accurate for travelers from the US to India, specifically, arriving at and leaving from Mumbai? Anecdotal accounts from friends traveling to India in the last few weeks have been confusing - there are suggestions that country of transit or the carrier matters, that the requirements are differently implemented or that there are different rules at the different airports DEL / BLR / BOM.

Are procedures at BOM relatively smooth? Is there any value to flying in through DEL or another airport in the hope of reduced time / hassle / nose swabs / etc. at the airport? (Obviously I would have to deal with the hassle and wasted time of domestic flights if I choose a different entry point, since my work will be in Mumbai.)

Do the carrier or transit country matter? If I had a choice, what would be best, fly the cheaper routes, through Dubai / Doha from Boston - or more expensive routes through AMS or LHR - or is there any significant advantage to taking the American Airlines' non-stop from (I think) Newark to Mumbai to avoid transit entirely? I heard some reports of passengers being treated differently if arriving on the middle east carriers. And with European carriers?

I also hear about some folks who are going to the trouble of acquiring various European vax proof cards / digital proof / etc. - not sure if any of that is needed or just carrying the US card will do. Will a digital form of the US card also work (scan or CommonHealth app or other) or is it advisable to carry the physical card at all times?

Please advise. Thank you. I usually consider myself reasonably good at navigating India's bureaucracy, but the covid situation has been more confusing than usual with rapid changes too.

I presume the test before leaving India for the US entry requirements will be easy to take care of - or are there any tips about that as well?

In case it matters - US citizenship + OCI visa.

Thanks!
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Bandicoot
I'm planning a trip to India later this month, BOS to BOM and back. If I understand correctly US vaccination status will be, or should be, accepted on the "Air Suvidha" form and there should not be any requirement of mandatory testing to enter India, and I would need a rapid test (or any test) before leaving India to return to the US. Is this accurate for travelers from the US to India, specifically, arriving at and leaving from Mumbai? Anecdotal accounts from friends traveling to India in the last few weeks have been confusing - there are suggestions that country of transit or the carrier matters, that the requirements are differently implemented or that there are different rules at the different airports DEL / BLR / BOM.

Are procedures at BOM relatively smooth? Is there any value to flying in through DEL or another airport in the hope of reduced time / hassle / nose swabs / etc. at the airport? (Obviously I would have to deal with the hassle and wasted time of domestic flights if I choose a different entry point, since my work will be in Mumbai.)

Do the carrier or transit country matter? If I had a choice, what would be best, fly the cheaper routes, through Dubai / Doha from Boston - or more expensive routes through AMS or LHR - or is there any significant advantage to taking the American Airlines' non-stop from (I think) Newark to Mumbai to avoid transit entirely? I heard some reports of passengers being treated differently if arriving on the middle east carriers. And with European carriers?

I also hear about some folks who are going to the trouble of acquiring various European vax proof cards / digital proof / etc. - not sure if any of that is needed or just carrying the US card will do. Will a digital form of the US card also work (scan or CommonHealth app or other) or is it advisable to carry the physical card at all times?

Please advise. Thank you. I usually consider myself reasonably good at navigating India's bureaucracy, but the covid situation has been more confusing than usual with rapid changes too.

I presume the test before leaving India for the US entry requirements will be easy to take care of - or are there any tips about that as well?

In case it matters - US citizenship + OCI visa.

Thanks!
For getting in to india - Use the Air Suvidha portal and upload the CDC Vaccination card
For getting back to USA - You need RT-PCR done one day before the travel date. Not Rapid Antigen
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
For getting back to USA - You need RT-PCR done one day before the travel date. Not Rapid Antigen
That's not right. The CDC's web page specifically says rapid antigen tests are allowed.
knit-in and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Not sure on this. I just travelled from India 2 days back. I did a RT-PCR test and the process was smooth. I got the result in 7 hours.

Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
That's not right. The CDC's web page specifically says rapid antigen tests are allowed.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
Not sure on this. I just travelled from India 2 days back. I did a RT-PCR test and the process was smooth. I got the result in 7 hours.
Requirement for Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test or Documentation of Recovery from COVID-19 | CDC

If you go down to the FAQs, under "Test and Documentation Requirements," the first question specifically says that rapid antigen tests are allowed. Nothing stopping someone from getting a PCR, but rapid antigen tests are definitely allowed.
knit-in and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:19 pm

I am sutprised US is still requiring a test within a day of departure to enter. Makes no more sense than India’s continued ban on full international schedules.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Any idea if a test is required when travelling from the UAE back to India ?
This would be for an Indian Passport Holder with both shots of the vaccination done.
Just landed in DEL this morning. No worries if the shots were taken in India. I uploaded a copy of my vaccination certificate a day before my flight back & it was approved immediately as valid for travel.

This is my first international trip over the last 2 years that didn't require a Covid test at any point before or after any of the flights. Glad things are starting to head back to some semblance of normalcy now.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 4:09 pm

Hi All,

I am struggling to find out what I need to do on arrival into India as different official websites say different things. I am triple vaccinated in the UK and a UK citizen. Flying from LHR to BOM and connecting to BLR. I have filled out the Air Suvidha form and have a grey strip at the top with a V in it.

Do I need to book an arrival PCR test? The Air Suvidha portal says no, Delhi Airports website also says no, Mumbai's is unclear, somewhere else says the UK is a 'high risk' country and I need a arrival PCR that I must get the result from before taking my connecting, internal flight.

Can anyone advise what exactly I'm required to do? If I need to take an arrival test at BOM, any recommendations? I land at 2am.

Thanks.

PS: this looks to be the most recent guidance, which makes no mention of 'high risk' arrival PCR tests, but there is too much conflicting info so wanted to check with you all.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by ba bob; Mar 8, 2022 at 4:33 pm
Old Mar 8, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by ba bob
... I have filled out the Air Suvidha form and have a grey strip at the top with a V in it.

Do I need to book an arrival PCR test? ..
There is no on arrival PCR test required. You are all set.
ba bob and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Keyser
Just landed in DEL this morning. No worries if the shots were taken in India. I uploaded a copy of my vaccination certificate a day before my flight back & it was approved immediately as valid for travel.

This is my first international trip over the last 2 years that didn't require a Covid test at any point before or after any of the flights. Glad things are starting to head back to some semblance of normalcy now.
Many thanks for this update and fingers crossed it continues this way.
Is the free test on arrival @ DXB axed too ?
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Many thanks for this update and fingers crossed it continues this way.
Is the free test on arrival @ DXB axed too ?
I landed in SHJ & there was no on-arrival testing. A friend landed in DXB the following day & he too confirmed there was no on-arrival testing.
quarryking and SamirD like this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 4:11 am

Thanks @TravellingMan
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 7:45 pm

You need to finish up the principal structure 72h ahead of time and then upload the test result at least 24h before arrival. It's a two-section process: first, you finish up the health form, afterward when you have the test outcome you reference the confirmation number of the health test to present the test outcome. Both should be possible done at the air terminal on arrival, yet doing it before takeoff gives you the freedom to avoid the lines and pre-endorsement before you get onto your flight. Also, carry air suvidha form to get more clearance. But they were not sending anyone to home quarantine until you have mild symptoms while on arrival otherwise its a easy skip from the airport no need to worry about quarantine.
SamirD likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 3:13 pm

It looks like India is restoring the long-term paper tourist visas that were suspended during the pandemic.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...455283867.html
TravellingMan, SamirD and Mika1234 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.