Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India

COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India

Old Jan 27, 22, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Ended the 25th with a total of 4 calls.

Yesterday I received 2 calls & its been 2 today as well.

I asked them today how much longer they will continue to call & was told that they are supposed to call daily for 7 days. So hopefully I will only have to suffer this for 2 more days.
knit-in, SamirD, superboi and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 27, 22, 3:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Keyser View Post

I asked them today how much longer they will continue to call & was told that they are supposed to call daily for 7 days. So hopefully I will only have to suffer this for 2 more days.
my sincerest condolences for your loss (of time and brain cells)
LETTERBOY and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 27, 22, 10:14 am

OMG, that sucks. What state / airport of entry? And: What are they asking / checking?

On a German forum, I just read that some travelers even got an official visit which checked the PCR test on day 8 to officially end the HQ.

Btw. is a non-Indian phone number a problem (for them)? Not really willing to buy extra Indian SIM card to be bothered x times a day for 7 days…
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by Emick; Jan 27, 22 at 11:46 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 27, 22, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Emick View Post
OMG, that sucks. What state / airport of entry? And: What are they asking / checking?

On a German forum, I just read that some travelers even got an official visit and checked the PCR test on day 8, to officially end the HQ.
Quite likely if you are in Mumbai. Authorities there seem pretty set on following up.

What country are you arriving from?
B747-437B and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 27, 22, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by superboi View Post
Quite likely if you are in Mumbai. Authorities there seem pretty set on following up.

What country are you arriving from?
Me: Seychelles. Plan is to continue from BOM to Aurangabad and do the HQ there.

The other travelers I referred to previously: Germany (at-risk country), entering via Hyderabad.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 27, 22, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

On a German forum, I just read that some travelers even got an official visit which checked the PCR test on day 8 to officially end the HQ.

Btw. is a non-Indian phone number a problem (for them)? Not really willing to buy extra Indian SIM card to be bothered x times a day for 7 days…
Landed in Delhi.

Since my wife's day 8 result came back positive, they have been calling multiple times daily to check up on her health & to make sure she remains in quarantine at home.

We even got a visit from an official from the District Magistrate's office to check if quarantine was being followed.

Not sure about the Indian phone number. A few months ago I saw a passenger getting into an argument at one of the testing counters on arrival because he did not have an Indian number that they could put in the system. They were refusing to test & let him leave the area unless he provided a local number.
LH757, SamirD and Emick like this.
Old Jan 27, 22, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by superboi View Post
Have been in Mumbai for 6 days now, staying at a Marriot resort and haven't got a single call (thankfully) or any other form of follow-up. My wife got one call on WhatsApp and they just asked her which vaccines she got and if she had any symptoms.
LH757, SamirD and Emick like this.
Old Jan 27, 22, 3:06 pm

Programs: KL-AF FB Elite Plus, LH M&M, BA, SQ, HHonors, etc.
Originally Posted by venk View Post
That is kind of ambiguous because if the negative report was a test conducted within a calendar day, that is sufficient whether you had Covid or not. Looking for positive confirmation if a subsequent negative report after infection not within one calendar day window satisfies the cleared for travel note from your Doctor requirement as an alternate.

Thanks. It is the required cleared for travel certification you need to have that is the problem. It is more relevant if you required supervised care for your infection institutionally or otherwise. Just stayed in a hotel to get over it requires finding a Doctor - visitors may not know any - willing to provide such an attestation which may or may not satisfy arbitrary airline assessment of authenticity, wording, letterhead/seal, etc., especially in India where the airline staff tend to be inflexible bureaucrats sometimes. Given their judgment would be binary in this case with enormous consequences.

Seems like CDC is filled with Indian Immigrant Babus too writing such vague requirements.
And CDC has declared India as a low-risk destination, while India updates its own at-risk country based on this CDC reference.

Either some DesiBabu is running CDC or CDC outsourced to India.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 27, 22, 3:11 pm

Programs: KL-AF FB Elite Plus, LH M&M, BA, SQ, HHonors, etc.
Landed in Delhi.

Since my wife's day 8 result came back positive, they have been calling multiple times daily to check up on her health & to make sure she remains in quarantine at home.

We even got a visit from an official from the District Magistrate's office to check if quarantine was being followed.

Not sure about the Indian phone number. A few months ago I saw a passenger getting into an argument at one of the testing counters on arrival because he did not have an Indian number that they could put in the system. They were refusing to test & let him leave the area unless he provided a local number.
Did Indian authorities deport him for not providing a local number? This is now getting ludicrously insane day by day.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by LH757; Jan 27, 22 at 7:16 pm
Old Jan 27, 22, 7:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Im planning a trip to India (from the US) and wish to stay in Dehli and fly to Mumbai after. Does one need a Covid test for the Dehli -> Mumbai flight?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 28, 22, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LH757 View Post
Did Indian authorities deport him for not providing a local number? This is now getting ludicrously insane day by day.
This was about 5-6 months ago, before all these new insane rules were implemented.

I had no interest in hanging around to find out what happened. I just overheard the conversation while I was waiting for my payment & registration to take place. I think I heard them suggest that he provide a relative's number or a local number for where he was staying. The situation wasn't resolved by the time I left to get my test but I'm sure they figured it out.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 28, 22, 12:35 am

Btw. is a non-Indian phone number a problem (for them)? Not really willing to buy extra Indian SIM card to be bothered x times a day for 7 days
As Keyser has pointed out, if you don't have an Indian number you can always give the number of the place you are staying at.

Me: Seychelles. Plan is to continue from BOM to Aurangabad and do the HQ there.
Don't think there should be any issues - coming from a non-risk country you will not be tested on arrival and you should be able to get a D8 test from any lab in Aurangabad. Just have on hand the address & phone number of the place you're staying at, in case they ask.
SamirD and Emick like this.
Old Jan 28, 22, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer View Post
Im planning a trip to India (from the US) and wish to stay in Dehli and fly to Mumbai after. Does one need a Covid test for the Dehli -> Mumbai flight?
If you're fully vaccinated, no. Just carry your vaccine card/certificate.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 28, 22, 2:25 am

Programs: United
One more report – flew EWR → BOM yesterday (the 27th), and there were two places I needed to show my Air Suvidha form – one at a desk immediately after arrival, the other at exit after all all the immigration and customs lines. No other questions or testing.

This was not applicable for me, but perhaps might help those who are coming in from at-risk countries and need to book a test – I saw a couple of desks and testing booths for a couple of companies (Metropolis and Lifenity) that appeared to be offering RT-PCR tests.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by fe857ca; Jan 28, 22 at 2:30 am
Old Jan 28, 22, 2:48 am

What if you don't answer the call?
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread