Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India

COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India

Old Jan 25, 22, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by LH757 View Post
Do OCI card holders require to register with the embassy before travel? This country is famous for its notorious bureaucracy & maze of rules which no one follows.
I don’t think so. I have an OCI card and I did not register with any embassy or inform anyone about my travels. Just the usual telling work not to make a visa for me as I don’t need it, taking the pre departure test, and then boom, fly to india
LH757 and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 25, 22, 7:09 pm

Programs: KL-AF FB Elite Plus, LH M&M, BA, SQ, HHonors, etc.
Originally Posted by flyingrohit View Post
I don’t think so. I have an OCI card and I did not register with any embassy or inform anyone about my travels. Just the usual telling work not to make a visa for me as I don’t need it, taking the pre departure test, and then boom, fly to india
I believe it was required in 2020 but silently scrapped later.

However, information found on KLM TravelDoc looks obsolete as embassy links under travel authorisation is dead. Appears airlines have washed their hands updating info as India changes its crazy rules every hour.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 25, 22, 11:07 pm

Hi,

anyone flown to India recently or is planning to do so in the upcoming days?

I am interested in dealing with the adjusted guidelines from January 20th, 2022 (effectively in place from January 22nd, 2022) for international arrivals. Especially then to Mumbai or direct onward travel within/outside of Maharashtra. In my case, I would need to proceed with immigration since not booked in 1 ticket (baggage…).

The 7-day “home” quarantine imposed now, in connection with the only 30-day allowed stay according to the condition of the granted e-tourist visa is really tough and ruins the whole trip.

Arriving from a non at-risk country, of course fully vaccinated and with a negative PCR test. But understand this doesn't matter anymore since applicable to everyone now arriving from abroad. Despite, I read that each state may have additional/adjusted rules (such as arrivals from the UAE -> no home quarantine, which also appears no longer to apply).

Thanks.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 25, 22, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Emick View Post
Hi,

I am interested in dealing with the adjusted guidelines from January 20th, 2022 (effectively in place from January 22nd, 2022) for international arrivals. Especially then to Mumbai or direct onward travel within/outside of Maharashtra. In my case, I would need to proceed with immigration since not booked in 1 ticket (baggage…).

The 7-day “home” quarantine imposed now, in connection with the only 30-day allowed stay according to the condition of the granted e-tourist visa is really tough and ruins the whole trip.

Arriving from a non at-risk country, of course fully vaccinated and with a negative PCR test. But understand this doesn't matter anymore since applicable to everyone now arriving from abroad. Despite, I read that each state may have additional/adjusted rules (such as arrivals from the UAE -> no home quarantine, which also appears no longer to apply).

Thanks.
Is there a question in here someplace?

In any case, lots of posts in recent days on Mumbai transit.
SamirD and superboi like this.
Old Jan 26, 22, 1:35 am

Anyone taken the “no test because I had Covid” exemption to fly back to US? Looks like a positive test report within past 90 days AND a doctor’s note saying “cleared for travel” (whatever that means) is required. There is no standard form or wording for the latter and so seems subject to whoever is inspecting the document to accept/reject not to mention doctors may not understand what means.

If one tested positive and recovered with home/hotel isolation and had no Dr contact, do you have to go and find a Dr to attest to that?

Would a subsequent negative test report be sufficient instead?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 26, 22, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by venk View Post
Anyone taken the “no test because I had Covid” exemption to fly back to US? Looks like a positive test report within past 90 days AND a doctor’s note saying “cleared for travel” (whatever that means) is required. There is no standard form or wording for the latter and so seems subject to whoever is inspecting the document to accept/reject not to mention doctors may not understand what means.

If one tested positive and recovered with home/hotel isolation and had no Dr contact, do you have to go and find a Dr to attest to that?

Maybe easier to do a RAT instead, less ambiguity than a doctor's certificate.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 26, 22, 1:51 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
If you have negative report in hand you are good to travel.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 26, 22, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by venk View Post

Some threads on the "coronavirus and travel" forum addressing this question:

What requirements to fly back to US if COVID positive

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...ble-proof.html
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 26, 22, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by unkn0wns0ldier View Post
Awesome! thanks for confirming this. You transited through AMS right to Mumbai? [I read a few posts above.] did you need to explain to anyone that you are not coming from Europe?
BOS-AMS-DEL.

There was no need to explain anything when we landed. They just looked at the green bar on our Air Suvidha form & waved us through.
SamirD and Emick like this.
Old Jan 26, 22, 6:04 am

While researching this requirement, I found this link through ExpertFlyer's "Travel Information" feature (which links to TIMATIC) - https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/C...-02-2021-p.pdf

If you don't want to register with ExpertFlyer, Vistara's website can lead you to the same information - https://www.airvistara.com/in/en/vis...s/visa-timatic
venk, LH757 and SamirD like this.

Last edited by awarty; Jan 26, 22 at 7:13 am Reason: Added quote
Old Jan 26, 22, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
If you have negative report in hand you are good to travel.
That is kind of ambiguous because if the negative report was a test conducted within a calendar day, that is sufficient whether you had Covid or not. Looking for positive confirmation if a subsequent negative report after infection not within one calendar day window satisfies the “cleared for travel note from your Doctor” requirement as an alternate.

Originally Posted by awarty View Post
While researching this requirement, I found this link through ExpertFlyer's "Travel Information" feature (which links to TIMATIC) - https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/C...-02-2021-p.pdf

If you don't want to register with ExpertFlyer, Vistara's website can lead you to the same information - https://www.airvistara.com/in/en/vis...s/visa-timatic
Thanks. It is the required “cleared for travel” certification you need to have that is the problem. It is more relevant if you required supervised care for your infection institutionally or otherwise. Just stayed in a hotel to get over it requires finding a Doctor - visitors may not know any - willing to provide such an attestation which may or may not satisfy arbitrary airline assessment of authenticity, wording, letterhead/seal, etc., especially in India where the airline staff tend to be inflexible bureaucrats sometimes. Given their judgment would be binary in this case with enormous consequences.

Seems like CDC is filled with Indian Immigrant Babus too writing such vague requirements.
LH757 and SamirD like this.
Old Jan 26, 22, 8:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN**
If you recovered recently from Covid the RAT will show a negative result anyway. If you are testing negative with RAT today, you will also test negative the day before departure?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 26, 22, 10:13 am

Programs: KL-AF FB Elite Plus, LH M&M, BA, SQ, HHonors, etc.
Hi,

Thanks.
It does not matter if you are booked on a single ticket or separate as you will need to pass health desk->immigration->customs>Domestic checkin as per India laws.

Indeed the 7D HQ + D8PCR is a big obstacle created by spineless babus, thus a waste of money & time going there.
Arriving into Bombay airport arrival is spiked with bureaucracy where babus fabricate their rules and run show as a separate country within India.
SamirD and Emick like this.

Last edited by LH757; Jan 26, 22 at 6:48 pm
Old Jan 26, 22, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
If you recovered recently from Covid the RAT will show a negative result anyway. If you are testing negative with RAT today, you will also test negative the day before departure?
The point is to just skip getting day before test for any and every flight for 90 days once infected using the same exemption.

I would appreciate if anyone has actual experience first hand or second hand of using this exemption with a subsequent negative test within the 90 day window rather than a doctor’s note or if they used a doctor’s note what was acceptable.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 27, 22, 1:43 am

I read that each state may have additional/adjusted rules (such as arrivals from the UAE -> no home quarantine, which also appears no longer to apply).
There was a lot of confusion over that. The reality is that there are three levels of Government that are imposing restrictions, viz. Central, State and Municipal. They can each impose conditions more restrictive than the level above them, but not less restrictive.

In the case of the UAE quarantines, BMC (Municipal level) had imposed this effective late-December. The Central Government then imposed the requirement for ALL international travelers. Therefore, the BMC lifted their Mumbai-specific restriction as it was already captured under the Central Government restrictions. It was not that you no longer had to quarantine, but rather that you now quarantined under Central Government policy rather than Municipal policy.

You have to approach these things with a bureaucrat's mindset to understand them!
SamirD, superboi and Emick like this.

Search this Thread