Reload this Page >

COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID19: Testing (and vaccination) Requirements to enter India

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Keyser
To add more drama to our situation, we got our results last night & unfortunately my wife's test came back positive, albeit with a extremely low viral count. Me & my kids are negative. Have uploaded all results on the Air Suvidha website. Lets see what happens next.
Oh goodness! I am sorry to hear that. Glad not everyone tested positive though. Small mercies, I guess. Good luck!
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:03 pm

So far today I have received 18 automated calls regarding the positive result & a further 8 calls where I have been asked the same questions & been given the same advice.
No mention of institutional quarantine? I am sorry I forget if you've already mentioned, but what part of the country are you in?

Testing positive on D8 was (is) my big fear. As long as they let you self-quarantine, though, I won't mind so much.

I hope it all works out well for you and your family.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by EU-US
The most common test in the US is the antigen test which has a higher false negative rate than PCR, so if her first test was an antigen test and the second one a PCR test, then that could be the reason.
Antigen tests are not accepted for travel so to travel back to India so we had to get a PCR test in NYC.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:07 pm

I understand that Chaos is the middle name of the Indian government, but ...? How can they make something mandatory AND impossible at the same time? As far as I know from local contacts, it is a huge hassle to get an Indian mobile number if you are not a local (friend of mine took 4 months to get one), due to gov't regulation... but they require me to have one to travel? LOL.
Actually it is fairly straightforward for visiting tourists...there are kiosks of Airtel and other operators near the exits in DEL and BOM, I know people who've got SIM cards on showing their passports/visas and had them activated the same day. It is actually more hassle if you are a resident.

That said, I have never seen Arogya Setu being used anywhere in the last several months...even in a couple of places where it was "mandatory", showing a vax certificate was sufficient.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by knit-in
No mention of institutional quarantine? I am sorry I forget if you've already mentioned, but what part of the country are you in?

Testing positive on D8 was (is) my big fear. As long as they let you self-quarantine, though, I won't mind so much.

I hope it all works out well for you and your family.
In Delhi.

There is no institutional quarantine once you are out of the airport. If you test positive at home then they just want you to quarantine at home.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamirD
I think your theory is correct, and here's why.

When my mother-in-law tested positive last year, when we looked at the detailed test results and viral load, by US standards she would have been negative, but by India standards she was positive. Her symptoms were only a fever for 2 weeks and then she was okay (thankfully!). But after seeing how this works, I believe it is most certainly the same in your wife's case.
I agree. The fact that no one else returned a positive result further leads me to believe its the old infection.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So far today I have received 18 automated calls regarding the positive result & a further 8 calls where I have been asked the same questions & been given the same advice.
4 more calls today so far since 8am. Thankfully no more automated calls.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:13 pm

On a different note, does anyone know what are the actual requirements for domestic Air India flights from BOM to Kochi? Air India's website seems oblivious to the fact that there is a pandemic, the only covid info I can find is buried in the menus and gives zero useful info. The only page that mentions regulations for domestic flights is in Hindi only.

I have read somewhere else that an "e-pass" was required and two websites that mention this redirect here "to register for a mandatory e-pass": https://covid19jagratha.kerala.nic.in - which is a general page without a single mention of what an e-pass is or how to register for one.

This is pretty much all you get from Air India:

There is a large banner on the homepage "COVID 19 UPDATE AND TRAVEL ADVISORIES" which on clicking through takes you to this: https://www.airindia.in/images/pdf/S...Regulation.pdf As per the table, double vaxxed people are exempted from RTPCR for visiting Kerala.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:14 pm

4 more calls today so far since 8am. Thankfully no more automated calls.
What exactly are they calling for so many times?
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by superboi
What exactly are they calling for so many times?
They call to check if there are any symptoms & if the person who tested positive is self isolating.

So far I have received calls from the Health department, the Delhi government & the local Police station. Its as if they are reading from a script & aren't really bothered with your answers.
SamirD and superboi like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:01 am

In Delhi.

There is no institutional quarantine once you are out of the airport. If you test positive at home then they just want you to quarantine at home.
Is that after the updated guidelines beginning on Jan 22? When I left the USA on the 19th, there was an institutional quarantine requirement if one tested positive on D8.

From the document of the GOI titled Guidelines for International Arrivals

From the portion dictating terms for visitors from non-risk countries (see point 8):
  1. Travellers from Countries excluding those in referred to in para (iii) and (iv) above, will follow the protocol as below:
    1. A sub-section (2% of the total flight passengers) shall undergo post-arrival testing at random at the airport on arrival.
    2. These 2% of such travellers in each flight shall be identified by the concerned airlines (preferably from different countries).
    3. Laboratories shall prioritize testing of samples from such travellers.
    4. All travellers (including those 2% who were selected for random testing on arrival and were found negative) will undergo home quarantine for 7 days and shall undertake

RT-PCR test on the 8th day of arrival in India*.
    5. Travelers shall also be required to upload results of repeat RT-PCR test for COVID-19

done on 8th day on Air Suvidha portal (to be monitored by the respective States/UTs).
    6. If negative, they will further self-monitor their health for next 7 days.
    7. However, if such travellers are tested positive, their samples should be further sent

for genomic testing at INSACOG laboratory network.
    8. They shall be managed at isolation facility and treated as per laid down standard

protocol including contact tracing mentioned in para (xvii).
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by knit-in; Jan 24, 2022 at 12:09 am Reason: Edited to add relevant GOI instructions
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is that after the updated guidelines beginning on Jan 22? When I left the USA on the 19th, there was an institutional quarantine requirement if one tested positive on D8.

From the portion dictating terms for visitors from non-risk countries (see point 8):
  1. Travellers from Countries excluding those in referred to in para (iii) and (iv) above, will follow the protocol as below:
    1. A sub-section (2% of the total flight passengers) shall undergo post-arrival testing at random at the airport on arrival.
    2. These 2% of such travellers in each flight shall be identified by the concerned airlines (preferably from different countries).
    4. All travellers (including those 2% who were selected for random testing on arrival and were found negative) will undergo home quarantine for 7 days and shall undertake

5. Travelers shall also be required to upload results of repeat RT-PCR test for COVID-19

done on 8th day on Air Suvidha portal (to be monitored by the respective States/UTs).
    7. However, if such travellers are tested positive, their samples should be further sent

8. They shall be managed at isolation facility and treated as per laid down standard

I asked this question at the airport & was told that if one tested positive on day 8 then they will have to isolate at home.

Even in the past, if anyone tested positive later then they were left at home & not taken to institutional quarantine.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:54 am

I asked this question at the airport & was told that if one tested positive on day 8 then they will have to isolate at home.

Even in the past, if anyone tested positive later then they were left at home & not taken to institutional quarantine.
Good to know. I guess like most things, this too depends on the inclination of the local authorities.

Was there a requirement and a provision last time to submit a test result several days after arrival on your Air Suvidha form?

My last visit was in mid-March '21, right before the big Delta wave, and other than the 72 hour PCR, there was no other entry/ quarantine requirement, so this is all rather new to me.
SamirD likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to know. I guess like most things, this too depends on the inclination of the local authorities.

Was there a requirement and a provision last time to submit a test result several days after arrival on your Air Suvidha form?

My last visit was in mid-March '21, right before the big Delta wave, and other than the 72 hour PCR, there was no other entry/ quarantine requirement, so this is all rather new to me.
Earlier there was no requirement to submit a result several days after arrival but they were testing people on arrival & allowing them to leave the airport after the test. Even in this scenario if a result came back positive then those people were told to quarantine at home. No one was taken to institutional quarantine after they left the airport & went home.
SamirD likes this.

Last edited by Keyser; Jan 24, 2022 at 5:48 am
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These are the latest guidelines now:

Page 3 of 3
xviii. Travellers from Countries excluding those in referred to in para (iii) and (iv) above, will follow
the protocol as below:
a. A sub-section (2% of the total flight passengers) shall undergo post-arrival testing at
random at the airport on arrival.
b. These 2% of such travellers in each flight shall be identified by the concerned airlines
(preferably from different countries).
c. Laboratories shall prioritize testing of samples from such travellers.
d. All travellers (including those 2% who were selected for random testing on arrival and
were found negative) will undergo home quarantine for 7 days and shall undertake
e. Travelers shall also be required to upload results of repeat RT-PCR test for COVID-19
f. If negative, they will further self-monitor their health for next 7 days.
g. However, if such travellers are tested positive, their samples should be further sent
h. They shall be treated/isolated as per laid down standard protocol.
SamirD likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.