FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   India (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india-478/)
-   -   "Aarogya Setu" phone app (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india/2019752-aarogya-setu-phone-app.html)

puchong Jun 15, 2020 4:01 pm

"Aarogya Setu" phone app

What is the latest status on the "Aarogya Setu" phone app for international visitors to India? Is it mandatory to have the app loaded and working before boarding a flight and upon arrival? What happens if the passenger does not have a valid cell connection or not SIM card that works in India? What happens if the passenger has multiple phones, only one of which has this app loaded? I understand that this question is moot right now since international flights are not operational yet, but I wanted to plan ahead!

Keyser Jun 16, 2020 2:41 am

the word on the street is that the app has to be installed on your phone before you board the flight....the airports are all connected with wifi so the app can be used even if your sim does not work....

also, if you have multiple phones then its not necessary to have the app on all phones....you just have to have it on one....

IAN-UK Jun 16, 2020 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 32460033)
the word on the street is that the app has to be installed on your phone before you board the flight....the airports are all connected with wifi so the app can be used even if your sim does not work....

also, if you have multiple phones then its not necessary to have the app on all phones....you just have to have it on one....

My understanding was that the airport authority had take it on itself to announce the app was compulsory for all travellers, only to be slapped down by the civil aviation ministry.

I might be wrong (it happens!) but I thought the ministry finished up offering the alternative of carrying a COVID negative certificate.

Keyser Jun 16, 2020 10:34 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 32460101)
My understanding was that the airport authority had take it on itself to announce the app was compulsory for all travellers, only to be slapped down by the civil aviation ministry.

I might be wrong (it happens!) but I thought the ministry finished up offering the alternative of carrying a COVID negative certificate.

the rules are changing some 32 times daily so no one has any clue what's really going on....the last time i spoke to my contact at the civil aviation ministry was last week & at that point he told me that the app was compulsory for anyone taking a flight....

IAN-UK Jun 18, 2020 3:08 am

Originally Posted by Keyser (Post 32461061)
the rules are changing some 32 times daily so no one has any clue what's really going on....the last time i spoke to my contact at the civil aviation ministry was last week & at that point he told me that the app was compulsory for anyone taking a flight....

..par for the course I guess :D

PiperAtGatesofDawn Jun 25, 2020 11:36 pm

The app is useless/pointless when you're in a foreign country. I don't think there's any mandate right now when you're traveling to India.

However you're better of having the app on your phone when you're entering any Indian airport because the CISF won't let you in without it because they will be as confused about the rules as anyone else. They will force you to download and install the app there and then to be allowed entry into the terminal.

oliver2002 Jun 26, 2020 2:40 am

The biggest problem is that it only accepts indian mobile numbers to register :rolleyes:

Keyser Jun 26, 2020 3:21 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002 (Post 32486269)
The biggest problem is that it only accepts indian mobile numbers to register :rolleyes:

i guess that will change once international travel opens up....

ukdoctor Jul 21, 2020 4:47 am

Is this mandatory for people leaving India on an international flight or only for those coming to India ?

Keyser Jul 21, 2020 6:14 am

Originally Posted by ukdoctor (Post 32547293)
Is this mandatory for people leaving India on an international flight or only for those coming to India ?

its required for both....they won't let you on a flight in india unless you have it on your phone....

Bandicoot Jul 23, 2020 6:41 pm

For passengers arriving on international flights, Timatic says:

Passengers arriving in India:
- must install "Arogya Setu" in their personal device
I wonder if this is checked at departure, which might present difficulties for those without an Indian SIM card. Or if not, what happens if you land in India without the app? Would they actually deny entry? :rolleyes:

sgopal2 Nov 26, 2020 6:45 am

I flew into India last week and was not able to activate the app ahead of time. The app requires an Indian mobile to activate (one time password sent via SMS).

But I was not asked about the app in any of the Indian airports that I visited.

Keyser Nov 28, 2020 1:54 am

Originally Posted by sgopal2 (Post 32845382)
I flew into India last week and was not able to activate the app ahead of time. The app requires an Indian mobile to activate (one time password sent via SMS).

But I was not asked about the app in any of the Indian airports that I visited.

its pretty random....they are supposed to ask about it but 90% of the time they don't....

Flyfromscratch Nov 29, 2020 11:37 pm

My last 3 flights (all in the month of November) - From DEL, CCU and BOM - In none of the cases they checked the app. I think it's practically stopped now.

sgopal2 Dec 7, 2020 5:37 am

Hello - I just returned back to the USA from India, where I spent nearly 3 weeks. Here is a summary of the airports that I visited in India:

BOM (International)
BOM (Domestic)
CJB (Domestic)
KOC (Domestic)
BLR (Domestic)
GOI (Domestic)
DEL (Domestic)
DEL (International)

At none of these airports was the Aarogya setu app asked for. So I agree with the poster above, it looks like the government is not making this mandatory at any of the airports any longer, and just a suggestion.