Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > India
Reload this Page >

Mumbai airport travel screening Update

Old Mar 8, 20, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta

I have heard that travel into India is a mess right now, with high alerts and screening process which is causing huge inconvenience to passengers landing at New Delhi or Mumbai airports

Anyone traveling through Mumbai or Delhi or hear of anyone facing similar difficulties please share recent experiences
Old Mar 8, 20, 5:28 pm

I got back yesterday. It was business as usual - no delays.

Edit: I was in del dont know about bom.
Old Mar 8, 20, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter View Post
I got back yesterday. It was business as usual - no delays.

Edit: I was in del dont know about bom.

when did you arrive in Delhi ?
this extra scrutiny started 4-5 days ago ?

did the US customs arrival do extra screening for you ?
Old Mar 8, 20, 6:03 pm

I arrived on the 29th of Feb. Nothing to delay us, but if it started later than I missed it.

Coming back no one hassled me. I flew out on the 7th of March and flew through paris. No one in Paris or the US cared about my travel origin.

India was a little stressed about the virus. It seemed to be really taking off this weekend.
Old Mar 8, 20, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by drksingh View Post
I have heard that travel into India is a mess right now, with high alerts and screening process which is causing huge inconvenience to passengers landing at New Delhi or Mumbai airports

Anyone traveling through Mumbai or Delhi or hear of anyone facing similar difficulties please share recent experiences
I arrived BOM on March 7 on the DL24 from JFK and there is now an extra health check stop on the way to immigration where you have to hand in some paperwork (Delta hands these out on the plane now) and get your temperature checked. The new process took about an extra 7-10 mins or so as we arrived at peak hour with the AC flight from YYZ and the UA flight from EWR before us.
Old Mar 8, 20, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by drksingh View Post
did the US customs arrival do extra screening for you ?
I just returned from an around-the-world mileage run and was surprised that the US does absolutely NO coronavirus screening. Not even a health screen. (Paris, Amsterdam, Prague and Kuala Lumpur also did nothing). In Indonesia the airport was full of uniformed military who were masked and taking temperatures of everyone, we had to fill out a health card and then received a paper to put in our passport with a stamp of the day we arrived in the country symptom free. In Taiwan there were multiple quarantine checkpoints in the airport where you had to re-fill out health information when changing terminals.
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:07 am

Programs: DL Diam 2MM (2.3), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by pdxkat View Post
I just returned from an around-the-world mileage run and was surprised that the US does absolutely NO coronavirus screening.
Interesting, flying back from ICN on Feb 2, as part of the interview before checking in I was asked about travel to China in the prior 2 weeks. I have a PRC 10 year visa. I’d connected through PVG 12 days before so there were no entry/exit stamps for this trip. I explained that and that was all.
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Arrived in India on March 8 thru Chennai
on BA
got some health paper to fill out
temperature check as we left the plane and re submit the same form again to another officer
but we were in and out of the airport in less then 20 minutes
now I am hearing and have seen picture of line in Mumbai that had a 6 +hour wait for health screening
but remember Mumbai has most of their international arrivals starting at around 11pm thru the night
so a lot of planes all coming in around the same time
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:38 am

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I just saw a photo on Mumbai health screening on Facebook and it is over 4 hours long....yikes! Apparently they’re running out of the forms you need to complete too....watch out!
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
I just saw a photo on Mumbai health screening on Facebook and it is over 4 hours long....yikes! Apparently they’re running out of the forms you need to complete too....watch out!
pdxkat: I'll be flying through TPE in about a week and a half, and would appreciate any airport advice (about the virus or otherwise) you might have for that airport. I don't think I've been there before. I'll have a short layover inbound and a very long layover outbound.
Old Mar 9, 20, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies. I am considering a MR, and now the stocks have crashed globally, I think there should be a wait. Any thoughts ?
Old Mar 9, 20, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by ProfRB View Post
pdxkat: I'll be flying through TPE in about a week and a half, and would appreciate any airport advice (about the virus or otherwise) you might have for that airport. I don't think I've been there before. I'll have a short layover inbound and a very long layover outbound.
If you have any Hello Kitty fans in your life you'll need to hit up gate C3 to see the Hello Kitty Gift Gate (it's an entire gate/waiting area that is Hello Kitty themed (it used to be gate C2, but has moved to C3), and next to it is a large Sanrio shop. There is a TON of shopping at TPE, if you need literally anything they have it, sporting goods, clothing, luxury goods, drugstore items, etc. It looks like they had a very large and diverse food court.

I spent the bulk of my time in the China Airlines lounge.

Everyone I encountered spoke English (which was helpful when I got turned around and almost went through the same quarantine area for a third time, thus having to fill out a third health screening form). TPE is super easy to navigate and everything is well signed. No temperature checks, but if you have allergies make sure to take something for them before landing, there was a lot of something I was allergic to in the airport - I was sneezing even with allergy medicine.
Old Mar 9, 20, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL DM
JFK-BOM 3/1
BOM-GOA 3/5
GOA-BOM 3/7
BOM-CDG 3/8

0 checks, no delays, nada

They were screening pax coming in from East Asia and Iran. Everyone else, business as usual. Every flight was full to the brim except my DL flight which was around 50-60% in D1, but that was good because the FA offered me multiple meals.
Old Mar 9, 20, 8:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum + LT Silver, Delta/United Gold
Originally Posted by mot29 View Post
Interesting, flying back from ICN on Feb 2, as part of the interview before checking in I was asked about travel to China in the prior 2 weeks. I have a PRC 10 year visa. I’d connected through PVG 12 days before so there were no entry/exit stamps for this trip. I explained that and that was all.
Uh? Unless you had gone through its egates, you would have been stamped for every entry and exit in China. This is true for all foreigners.
Old Mar 10, 20, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Uh? Unless you had gone through its egates, you would have been stamped for every entry and exit in China. This is true for all foreigners.
Not at the new T1 satellite MU <-> MU/DL/AF/KL transfer checkpoint.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: